Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

$1000 Gaming PC Build

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by benmytot, Nov 28, 2013

1. Nov 19, 2010
    Hey guys. I've not been active due to school and work. And also my computer had broken down months ago, I've finally gained enough money ($1000 - $1200) to build a new computer. I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations or a full build. For this computer, I want to play some of the new games that just came out (BF4).

Preferably an INTEL build. With NVIDIA Graphics Card =D. It would be great if I could upgrade it too, like maybe adding a SSD in the future for the OS.

If you guys can help me, It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you~
  2. Jun 11, 2012

Down the line you want Intel i7 + AMD GPU + Good reliable SSD that's not prone to fail (maybe like 256GB or 128 GB) but you have to couple it with a spinning drive 7200rpm or the new hybrid (ssd + spinning drive) which are actually good priced + Some sort of Cooler Master Case (Haf 912 or for maximum dingaling powah Haf 932).

Though understand that 1000$ build is way different than a 2000$ build so make up on a strict budget with a range you can go over it. I can think of a good 900$ build but do understand that it's crazy ridiculous in NA right now with sales.

Oh to others, OP isn't from NA so brack fryday bunduru won't be as common.
  3. Apr 3, 2013
    Since you specifically mentioned BF4 i'm going to insert the obligatory statement of going with one of the new AMD cards for Mantle, which BF4 supports, for better performance. Alot more games/devs are/will support it, so only time will tell how better a jump it is with mantle.
    For the GPU I'd suggest a AMD 280x, or a 290 (which can be manually unlocked to 290x specs i think).

For the CPU stick with an i5, unless you need the Hyper-threading on i7's. But since some games, like BF4, use HT now, its a mixed call.

Ram, at least 8GB, preferably 16.
  5. Mar 29, 2012
    Id recommend an FX_8350 for cpu. I know you want intel, but the new consoles have 8 cpu cores so expect games to start supporting it. For a gpu,id recommend a 280x
  6. Feb 27, 2012
    There's barely even any games that use all 4 cores right now, let alone 8. Besides, AMD processor performance for gaming is not the same as an intel. Sure the clock speeds could be equal or higher, but in almost all cases, intel will outperform it in gaming. It's all on what they are designed to do.

Honestly, i'm not totally sure what you should get as a GPU. AMD GPU's are much cheaper and perform just as well (most of the time) but their drivers over the last while have really sucked, and they're only getting worse (especially with their Raptr integration crap). I've heard great things about the GTX 760, 770, and 780 (except that the 770 is way over priced for a 10% performance increase over the 760) so if you can find one of those on sale for a great price, get one.

Other than that, i haven't done any research on the latest computer hardware for the last 6 months+ so i don't know where start helping you out.

@Brett since nobody has tagged you yet :wink:
  7. Jul 8, 2012

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
  8. Feb 3, 2012
    I thought you were Brett's right hand man with this stuff. :confused:
  9. Jul 8, 2012
    I'm at a thanksgiving lol I'll input later.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    Damn @benmytot you should really buy everything between now, and Cyber Monday. You do not understand the crazy discounts you'd be getting.
    I've got you the best price/performance for probably about $100-$200 less than normal atm. You may want to take advantage.

CPU: Intel i5 4670K
    MOBO: ASRock Z87 Extreme4
    RAM: TEAM Vulcan 2x4GB 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI R9 280X Gaming Edition
    PSU: Rosewill Bronze Series 1000W
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
    HDD: WD or Seagate 1TB
    SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB
    Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5
    Extra fans: 2 Cougar Vortex Hydro-dynamic-fluid-bearing 120mm fans (for CPU cooler)

All for under $1,200. This will probably go back up to about $1,400 total after tomorrow or Cyber Monday so beware.

eeeefffdsw

eeeefffdsw
    • Artistic Artistic x 2
    • Jun 11, 2012

• Dec 6, 2011
      Well OP shouldn't have used dolla amount. Got me all confuzzled.
    • Apr 1, 2012
      Well you can get parts shipped to Singapore right? Also which dollar is op talkin about? sing $ = 0.8 USD
    • Nov 19, 2010
      Thanks for the recommendations, but What is the website that you are using to choose all these parts?
    • Feb 9, 2012
      Brett has a good build for u but i think it's good to factor in the cost of a windows OS cd, which is roughly 90 bucks. then gotta add in the tax which will make his total go past $1,200 USD.

IMO the extra fans are unnecessary as well as the water cooling. sure for a huge computer enthusiasts such as urself it is nice to have but unless he's doing some intense overclocking im sure his stock fans that should come with the case should be adequate.
      to drop the total down more, i think he can get a cheaper+lower psu. it's nice to future-proof his things but it seems like he just wants a good running computer which can handle majority of games at the moment as well.
      A 650w or 750w should be adequate.
      Also the case can go lower if he's fine with it looking not as great as the case u chose for him.
      He can also get away with a lower graphic card such as a 660 ti which is still strong enough to run all games with a 90 dollar lower cost. (not at the moment but it often goes on sale dropping the price to around $209.99

Sorry if it seems critical but i figured id give him some alternative opinions on some parts to reduce the cost by lessening the future-proofing while still providing the power he needs.

Also i know im pretty much a ghost to most people by now but i still roam the forums to read.

and @benmytot u should include how much storage u typically use/require+color preference if that matters.

storage because some people like me use very little storage that i can be fine with just 2 SSDs instead of an HDD+1 SSD. while others may require huge storage if they like torrenting and keeping videos ~_^. if u use very little and mainly just game and ur okay with deleting/donwloading then just get a 240 gb ssd. and if u haven't bought BF4 yet, it costs only $20 on slickdeals
      911Trigger, Nov 29, 2013 Last edited by 911Trigger, Nov 29, 2013
    • Nov 19, 2010
      The Prices in Singapore are VERY different from the prices in the US. And we also do not have any Black Friday or any other special discount days @Brett Do you have an E-Mail so I can send u a PDF of the List of Components in my country? The price list consists of INTEL 3rd and 4th GEN processors. Or anyone else could help me maybe via Skype?
    • Dec 6, 2011
      The 1000W PSU was $69 or $89 without an MIR.

The H100i is definitely necessary once you get to $1,000 to spare because even if you don't OC, it'll lengthen the life of your CPU big time. So instead of running in the 70C's and such, it won't go near the 50C line. The extra fans make a huge difference, in both air flow and sound with the H100i.

Honestly, with the new R9 series GPUs out, Nvidia is terribly overpriced in most parts of the world right now. A 660 Ti is a HUGE DROP in performance, for only a few bucks less. He's looking for a $1,000-$1,200 build, which is almost perfect for the best price/performance build.

R9 280X compared http://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx/9

A few things were just picked solely for black friday, but a lot of this is your basic idea for $1,000-$1,200.

Your GPU should always be your most expensive part anyways.
      Post Merged, Nov 29, 2013
      What online website would you mainly buy from? I could help you pick out stuff from there.
    • Nov 19, 2010
      benmytot, Nov 29, 2013 Last edited by benmytot, Nov 29, 2013