Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

1440p Monitors / Gaming

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by dillinger, May 6, 2014

1. Feb 1, 2011
    Curious if any of you have made the jump to gaming in 1440p. If so, which monitor did you go with and what are your system specs? Did it make a big difference in quality/clarity? Do you have framerate issues?

I have a relatively small 1080p monitor (23'' I think) and find myself leaning closer / squinting a lot, especially in games like CS:GO and DayZ where you have to spot people from far away.

I just started looking into it and might go for it at some point in the future. Would be great if I could get some insight from people who have made the transition from 1080p.
  2. Jul 8, 2012
  3. Aug 7, 2012
  4. Jan 21, 2011
    I plan on skipping 1440p/QHD and going for UHD or 4K when that becomes reasonably priced. Or perhaps I'll skip to 8K...
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Mar 20, 2011
      @Seeker 4K is overated and your limited to 30FPS. You are better off going with 2560x1600 res panels and running them in surround. At least you can get 60FPS. It is a shame there are still no true 120hz 2560x1600 IPS panels out there. Once you go IPS you never go back to TN panels, EVA!
    • Dec 1, 2013
      The QNIX monitors on Amazon are excellent, if you can find a seller with higher than 99% feedback. I use one for my desktop and absolutely love it.
    • Jan 21, 2011
      By the time I'm in the market for anything of this sort, I'm sure the technology to run 4k @ 60fps will be there.

If you want stuff on your monitor to be bigger, you need to get a bigger monitor, dill. If you get a bigger monitor (say a 25 inch) that's 1440p, stuff won't be much bigger on the screen as the pixel density is higher. You'll see more with a higher pixel density, but the individual components won't be any bigger.
    • Feb 1, 2011
      Yeah I would definitely go for like 28 inches or larger so that not only do I get more pixels but on a larger screen. I'm not seriously considering getting anything though, especially since it seems 1440p may be a short-lived thing in favor of higher resolutions. However I dunno how much I really NEED because when it gets past the point of me being able to discern individual pixels, I don't think I'll need much higher res than that.

I wonder how much GPU power / VRAM would be needed to run stuff at 2k/4k/8k @ 60fps? I was reading something recently about Bioshock Infinite pushing 2 gigs of VRAM usage for 1080p on ultra. Doesn't the VRAM usage go up as the resolution goes up? Or is it just the resolution of the textures themselves
    • Jul 8, 2012
      I believe it goes up on both.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
      • Winner Winner x 1