Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

2 suggestions

Discussion in Website Feedback & Bugs started by Ghost, May 31, 2012

1. May 14, 2011

• First of all on staus updates, posting a comment is so much effort, you have to click the persons name, thengo to thier profile page, then post a comment, then navigate back to the home page.
    • Also it would be nice if you could like individual comments, not just the actual status.
    • Lastly about status' It would be nice if, when you press the comments button it would show you where the comments ended and the next status began. Maybe it should box the status and comments in a
      box.
    Now to my second suggestion:
    • With notifications it gets quite annoying to memorise which ones i have clicked and which ones I haven't. So instead of removing the yeloow background once you press the notifications button, how about only removing it once you press the notification. This really becomes a problem when you deal with 20 notifications.....
    Feel free to say they are a complete waste of time or maybe you could say you like this?
  2. Sep 7, 2010

This post was made with my face, and deep thought.
    adinsx, May 31, 2012 Last edited by adinsx, May 31, 2012
  3. Jun 4, 2006
    This has been suggested many times and will come eventually. That block isn't a core XF feature hence the not-so-sweet behaviors. Don't blame me for this, not my work.
    This won't happen unless XF makes it so.
    Uh... it does. Check your monitors contrast / brightness - here's a screenie I edited the levels on real quick to exemplify the contrast between the two colors
    proof

If your contrast is not set properly you'll likely see it similar to this:
    toohigh

There's a gold star next to new ones, that's about your only indicator of new vs old. Nothing to show already clicked alert links or whatever.

Also if you get a lot, that window isn't meant to be the best way to view them, just view all alerts instead... http://plaguefest.com/account/alerts
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      Capture this is my POV. I dunno, contrast has never been a problem before for me? So is it my monitor or is it my settings?

Your screeny is horribly over contrasted though. My cat pic is gray not black lol

^huh?
    • Jun 4, 2006
      your screenshot looks normal to me. i can see the alternative color. this is not surprising. Your contrast isn't set properly. It is your monitor settings. Try to run the windows 7 calibrator if you're on 7 for some quick tests. I used a sensor on my screen and measured the colors and graphed the output in order to calibrate them accurately. Takes about half a day to do but it's pretty important if you work with design / video / color.

And yes, my screeny is horribly over contrasted.. hence saying I edited it in photoshop so you could see that there is indeed a different color there to outline the comments from statuses.
    • May 14, 2011
      What is this test you speak of? Sounds good.

*EDIT* Okay, my screen was set in gaming mode, now i see the difference in colours, now my screen seems horribly dim though.
    • Jun 4, 2006
      type 'calibrate' in your start menu and it'll pop up.
    • May 14, 2011
      Damn this is impossible. now I reset my screen to default and everything has a slight tinge of blue...
      Hmm maybe my eyes are broken.... >.<

Never had problem with contrast before.

Is lower better in this case then?
    • Jun 4, 2006
      You could just try to set contrast to 100 via the monitor controls, and then down to 0, just to see the difference the contrast control itself will make on whatever is on your screen, and then gradually set it back up until it reaches a value that looks OK to you. The example photo in the 7 calibration tool of the guy with the white shirt is good as you can look to see if the whites become overexposed due to contrast being too high. The shirt will start to lose some of its shading / shadows and those will just become white. If you see this, you've gone too far and need to reduce it.
    • May 14, 2011
      Okay so I had my monitor on the "Out of the box" settings and they were horribly bright. Was at 90/100 brightness and 50/100 contrast. Now its at 30 brightness and 70 contrast and all is fine!

I gotta get used to the slightly under saturated colours now.

Still messing around with the settings though.

*Edit* My monitor colours looks kinda washed out now but at least the contrast and brightness are well balanced
    • Jun 4, 2006
      If your monitor has RGB controls you could try to increase each value by the same amount in order to get some more vibrance out of the monitor so it doesn't seem dim or washed out. Careful though as adjusting these also affects the brightness/contrast, but may preserve the balance you currently have. Alternatively you can sleep on it and wake up to it tomorrow and see if your eyes naturally adjust as you've been used to the overly bright settings. I imagine you'll be tweaking it a bit the coming days as you view various content.
    • May 14, 2011

Out of intrest, what does sharpness do? Its at 5/5 now but it didnt notice any difference when I was manipulating it.

And I am slowly getting used to it. I guess it really as too bright, especially while playing at night. And my contrast was way too high. Its at Brightness 100/100 Contrast 30/100 now.

Maybe the brightness enchanced the colours before. For example. The blue pictures really stood out before hand. Funny you don't notice these things until you start messing around with settings.
    • Jun 4, 2006
      http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php

I'm going to bed. Google is your friend. Have fun.
    • May 14, 2011
      VERY helpful website. Recommend it to everyone. Now i know my monitor is set correctly.

Brian your amazing! Thanks for everything!
    • Jun 4, 2006
      Added a slight indent just to make it a bit easier to see the difference between comments and statuses. This should help those who can't see the alternate color very well.

[IMG]
    • Jun 23, 2010
      Ohh my status update. I'm popular now thanks to Brian! :clap:

But it does make it easier to figure out which is the comments and status.

Thanks!
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Maybe giving it a little more padding might be even better (the beginning edge of the commenters picture aligned with the ending edge of the OPs status).
    • Jun 4, 2006
      You mean the beginning of OP's status? I thought of this but I think that's too much personally, adds a lot of blank space and doesn't give a lot of room for the actual comments, presuming this is what you mean:

[IMG]

A compromise that might look better would be to align the left edge of a comment avatar to the middle of the OP avatar, rather than the beginning of their status.

[IMG]

That would be a difference of +4 pixels over the current margin.

Edit: Went ahead and updated the margin from 8px to 12px.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Zing! Zing! x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        That's perfect. Thanks for listening Brian! :smile: