Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

3D printed guns.

Discussion in In The News started by Satsukii, May 13, 2013

1. Jan 11, 2012
    • Informative Informative x 2
      Satsukii, May 13, 2013 Last edited by Satsukii, May 13, 2013
    • May 18, 2012
      That's just what we need to avoid wars and shit......
    • Aug 10, 2012
      If it makes weapons easier and cheaper then defiantly not.
    • Apr 25, 2013
      Why does the government allow firearms and then is surprised that there is a shooting every 2 weeks. With these home-made weapons, psychopaths will just have to go online and find a weapon model (and customize it in passing, it's always funnier to kill with a original way). So, it remains only to download the file and print, and lets go to kill some innocent children.

God thank you, I do not live in the United States.
      Captain Jack, May 13, 2013 Last edited by Captain Jack, May 13, 2013
    • Apr 9, 2012
      If you have children at the age of 20, then something is wrong :razz:
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jul 8, 2012
      • Aug 2, 2010
        Files were taken down on US servers. Even Kim Dotcom asked his staff to remove the files from their servers. Granted over 100K downloads were generated before the files were removed and I wouldn't be surprised if there are attacks in the future using said weapons.

This is why I conceal carry kids.
      • Apr 25, 2013
        @Joris : I dont have kids, it was a supposition. Sorry, google traductor fail again ^^
      • May 15, 2011
        Somehow I really don't believe this plastic can take the place of a guns metal casing. Firing rounds causes heat, and heat melts. I don't know the melting point of this 3D modelling plastic, but I doubt it can handle what metal can. I think it's just an overreaction, even in the video he was only able to fire one shot at a time, unless you know how to build the mechanisms to create a functioning firearm, you can't do shit with this. Basically, the only people who will be able to hypothetically make a dangerous weapon from this would be engineers. Your average fuck face from high school will not be able to create something so intricate.
      • Mar 12, 2008
        I think it's a wonderful idea. Gun prices keep rising and with all the bans they're no doubt going to enfore later it's only going to be a problem if something big comes up later. If you happen to own a printer, having access of cheap disposable guns (which in America if you make by yourself, and ONLY yourself is legal) sounds like a pretty good second plan.

See above. I agree it is a scary thought that just anybody would be able to print out a gun that can hurt or kill someone, but that's how technology works, for better or worse.

I think at some point or another someone will re-upload depending on how things pan out later. Obama is going crazy trying to ban the AR-15 to the point my dad bought a lower just in case that happens. Guns are evil, they kill people you know.

Glocks are made of mostly plastic, but a high-quality nylon polymer with few metal parts. Even my H&K USP is mostly plastic. The only metal parts are the firing pin, slide, slide catch, barrel, hammer, and some internal workings. It really depends on the quality of the materials. From what i can see on the wikipedia page, they (can) use powdered metals with another media, like sand or plastic and make a prototype product. They did at one point, like @rxn said have blueprints online. Anyone would be able to download it, but it's only useful if you have a 3D printer. I think if i'm not mistaken, the first 3D-printed gun was an AR-15 that shot 100-200~ shots before it started showing any breakage. I'm not sure of the material used, but being able to withstand that many 5.56 rounds is something impressive. Anybody can create anything on their own given the right tools and materials. Engineers definetly have a step-up on the rest of us, but anyone can do this with the right recipe.
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Jul 1, 2010
          Not to get off topic but I agreed with everything but this. It's literally political suicide on the national level to allow a piece of gun ban legislation to go through. There has been multiple votes and none of them have gotten close to the 60 in the Senate.. let alone would it ever get through the House. Thats not to say it couldn't happen on the state level (although it's normally done city by city).

This also isn't going to really impact gun violence in the slightest IMO. Anyone who wants to go shoot people could just go get a regular gun much easier, and I don't see that changing.
        • Mar 12, 2008

It's always better to be prepared. You never know what kind of bullshit is going to fall through.
        • Aug 2, 2010

Also, isn't your dad a sheriff? The ban on assault rifles won't affect LE in anyway so I don't see the reason why your dad would need to get an attorney.
        • Mar 12, 2008
          Retired. Not sure if that will affect his purchasing. I think you need to be on active duty to get the benefit but i could be wrong.
        • Sep 6, 2010
          I can see these plastic guns have a potential of being used as weapons for assassinations as they are not detected by metal detectors.
        • Feb 21, 2007
          I prefer the M.A.D. method. This is why i conceal/carry explosives.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          In all seriousness, I agree. With technology advancing at excessive rates, it won't be long until we all have cheap, lethal weapons that we can buy at the corner store with some spare change.
        • Aug 2, 2010
          Ah. Yes you do need to be an active duty LE to get the waiver.

Beware of the snuke!
        • Oct 11, 2012
          I live in a city where it is LAW to own a firearm, and I love it. Our crime rates are extremely low.
        • Aug 7, 2012