Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

400$ Gaming PC

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by TaMe, Dec 3, 2013

1. Dec 1, 2013
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($59.91 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Hitachi Travelstar Z7K500 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GT 640 2GB Video Card ($105.98 @ Newegg)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150HG 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($7.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($22.96 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $401.80
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-03 19:34 EST-0500)

Finally buying a new PC. Tired of having 20 FPS on CSS, and I just want to know if my GPU is compatible with my mother board?

EDIT: Looking to play BF4 on this also being low-med is fine. Also does windows 8.1 really improve performance?
  2. Nov 28, 2013
    That CPU is going to kill your PC Gaming Experience lmfao
  3. Feb 27, 2012
    everything about that build is going to kill his gaming experience.

Honestly, i don't think that GPU will fit in that motherboard or case. You should get a regular ATX mobo for many reasons. One being that you have at least 4 DIMM slots incase you get more RAM later on. Next problem about your Micro ATX choices is that if you want to upgrade to something really good (like say a Titan, why you would waste your money on that thing, i have no idea) you would have to get a whole new Mobo and Case.

If you can spend a little more than $400, i would. I doubt you'd be able to play BF4 at all, but you might.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nov 28, 2010
      To answer your question, yes the CPU will work with the mobo you have chosen. Not sure about Windows 8.1, as I still have Windows 7.

Now I do have to agree with Tony, I don't think that card is going to fit in the case, and if it does, you're going to have really bad air flow even with the fans the case comes with.
      Sometimes budget building costs you more in the long run. If you can wait for a better build, I would get some recommendations from @Brett .

BF4 isn't that hard to run, but you'd be limiting yourself right off the bat, like Tony said as well.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Not sure what you put in on PCPartPicker, but wow.

Minitower? ATX mini mobo? 2.5inch HDD? Might as well grab a laptop.

$400 "gaming" build is pretty much dropping $400 into the toilet and flushing. It'll be outdated very quickly, and it's absolutely 100% non-futureproof.

The minimum I recommend for gaming type is $700, $600 is pushing it, and $500 is almost outright silly. But if you have absolutely no choice, I'd recommend doing this supercombo with Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1416460

It'll save you a little bit of cash with the combo, and the 650Ti is better than nothing.
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Poor @Brett always getting tagged in these threads :sweat:

As for better performance in Windows 8.1, i'm not sure about either. There is definitely better performance in Windows 8 vs Windows 7, and i assume 8.1 will be the same, if not better. Everything is far more responsive, OS boots quicker, less resources are used overall, and everything loads quicker than Windows 7. But if you get an SSD, there's almost no difference in performance that you'll notice.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Windows 8.1 is just optimized better, various hardware drivers love it, and it uses less resources overall (which is why people say it's better performance). I still prefer Win7 over Win8, but that's just me. I have an SSD so I'm not going to really see a difference between a 9.8 second boot time, and a 10 second boot time. It's almost just personal preference.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jun 11, 2012
        Hey @Brett, so how bout that Wireless adapter for a desktop. I heard that it's better than 1Gps Ethernet?
      • Dec 6, 2011

But what aboot Xkiller900,000,000,000 LAN WiFi adapter?!?!?! IT'S SO MUCH BETTUR!

Seriously though, the WiFi adapters aren't any different tbh.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        I have a Killer Wireless N on my laptop, I never tested it out but transfer latency is about 200Mb/s but local. Though I rarely use wireless...I don't know why

Also I have a close build to that (except the GPU you should try to aim for a AMD one, you'll get it much better and cheaper) for my server and I got it (at then price 1 year ago) for 550$. It's powerful enough for my linux build and huge media share I have (imagine streaming 1080p crisp bluray quality 22GB over a gigabit network :clown:). No stutter, 40% utilization, quite cool bundled with a HAF 912 (Oh yeah the Mini ATX or tiny baby like). Though my server has no UI meaning there is no monitor attached to it, everything is all done through a ssh connection.

First hand I can tell you (Integrated GPU), there is some bottleneck with a high crazy GTA IV visual mod but runs fine vanilla. Maybe if it's offset to a GPU you may be able to get better processing. Like said, you should get moar money and do a newegg order with some 7970 and a i5 at least (keep you golden for 2 years)
      • Dec 1, 2013
        Going to sell some extra console stuff I have left and buy this then and find something to do for a little extra to upgrade the graphics card.
        OR

I'll just save up a little bit more cash then and wait to cough up 300 more.
        Thanks a lot @Brett
      • Nov 28, 2013
        I actually notice better performance with Windows 7 than 8. Not to mention Win 8 is designed around tablets. I would suggest Windows 7 overall.
      • Aug 16, 2013
        Tame, you're probably gonna have to look at something like the AMD FX 6100 and a AMD 7870 or 7850 for your budget if you increase it to $700. Some people may also suggest an Intel i3 CPU build instead, but I'd stick with 6 cores on the fx 6100.

If you're looking for quite a bit more power with a bit more money, you can get an i5 with a cheaper non overclockable motherboard and maybe an AMD 7950 or GTX 760. This will play BF4 on high.

I've seen a few posts with lower budgets and its gonna end up being either one of those. If I were you, I'd probably wait till boxing day sales since you already missed Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
      • Nov 28, 2013
        My GTX 770m can play BF4 on Ultra, with the Haswell Quad i7 4700MQ so I'm pretty sure that if you get the i5 3570k LGA 1155 Processor with an ATI 7950(70) you would able to max your settings out and bump on ultra.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        3570k is Ivy Bridge, Haswell is newer (4670k). And 7950's are old, R9 270X's run for less than the 7950's and still get more performance. But fuck a 4670k and 270X alone are more than $400....
      • Nov 17, 2012

A friend of mine literally just gave it to me because it's that shit. It's okay for everyday use (overpriced as fuark), but does NOT DELIVER. It would constantly drop down to 30fps on LoL... Of all games at 1080p, lowest. Please do not touch that card, EVER.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Nov 28, 2013
          Yea that card was produced in like egypt or something. Because that card does suck lmfao
        • Jun 11, 2012
          GT 640 is the cheaper version of the 640 line. Traditionally you have GT and GTX and GTM, GT is the cheaper one, GTX is the high expensive one (the one you always want) and GTM or M which is the mobile one for laptops or Apple Desktop (though you can put a GTX in there).
        • Dec 1, 2013
          Also I've been hearing the AMD FX 6300 is future proof but I don't know if this is true.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          There's not something written in stone that says something is futureproof. It just depends on the type of system and all of the parts together.

For example, when I bought my current build back in 2012, I purchased 16GB of ram (because it was only $70, believe it or not) a Sandy Bridge 2500k, an ASRock z68 Extreme3 board with a 2nd PCI-E x16 slot, and 1000W PSU (was only aiming for 850W but the 1000W was only $110).I had only bought one 7950 at the time of the build.

I surprisingly only had to pay a little bit extra for these "overkill" parts. This rig would be considered futureproof for the following reasons:
          • The 2500k is a powerful processor that's (at the time) was the best price/performance for gaming, and can be overclocked quite a bit (3.3Hz to about 4.5-4.7Hz) when it becomes a little sluggish, instead of buying a whole new processor and motherboard.
          • if I had only purchased a 2x4GB RAM kit, I would've had two extra slots on my motherboard to add another kit, instead of buying all new RAM altogether.
          • For when my 7950 becomes too underpowered for Ultra settings on BF4, I can just add a 2nd 7950 for $200 instead of buying an entirely new GPU, because my motherboard has 2 PCI-E x16 slots and supports Crossfire. Now, I have about 190% the performance of a single 7950, and I only had to pay the price of one, $200, instead of buying an entirely new GPU for the same performance, for twice as much.
          • And lastly, my 1000W PSU (or even if I got a 850W) would support all of these upgrades, and I wouldn't be forced to buy an entirely new PSU to support a 2nd GPU, an overclocked CPU, and extra fans/hard drives/watercooling system.

This, right here, is the exact definition of future-proofing. Being ready for the future, and not having to buy a completely new build just to support newer games.
          • Wizard! Wizard! x 1