Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

A little help on what i should get

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Super Mario, May 26, 2013

1. Oct 17, 2011
    I've had a sony vaio laptop for almost 4 years and i think it is time for me to get something new. But i really want to know what happened to this laptop and why it became so low. Last year and half (almost 2), i used to run black ops on this thing and grand theft auto IV and i've never had a single lag. It has now become so slow even after recovering it.

My friends tell me that it is the fan. Well. i start off with 100+ fps the first 10 minutes in css or l4d 2. After that, my computer turns so bad and my fps drops to 10 and lower. The laptop gets heated so fast and you can't even touch the bottom because of how hot it gets.

My computer specs are:
    Intel Core I3-330M Processor 2.13GHz
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Memore 4GB Ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    320 GB Hard Disk Drive

It should be completely running fine with valve games and that's what it does the first 10 minutes. Is it the fan that is cauing less fps?

Now, my other question is what i should get. I found this good tower at bestbuy with really good specs and they told me it would run any game even in the future. I need an opinion about it from you guys and if it can possibly run any heavy game like COD, Battlefield and other future games for years. If not, please provide me with any better gaming computer tower that can run any game better and is less then $1000 from bestbuy.
    Here is the tower i liked:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus---...rive/7138076.p?id=1218831545767&skuId=7138076
    By the way, is this upgradable?
  2. Jan 11, 2012
    1. Yes. FPS and performance drops when your Laptop overheats.

2. Never ever buy a prebuild. Ask @Brett I'm sure he will build you one.
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    1. Gaming isn't really meant for laptops.
    2. He's on BestBuy.com, all is lost.

(I won't be able to help until Tuesday, busy the next couple days with finals/work)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Oct 17, 2011
      i know gaming isn't meant for laptops.
      What do you mean by all is lost? i was at bestbuy 5 days ago and they told me this is the best they have for gaming.

Btw, you can laugh at me all you want but i really need to ask this question because i'm an honest person. How do you build a computer and what does it mean, build your own specs?
    • Jun 11, 2012
      If you laptop is heating really quickly and becomes to the point you can barely touch it that means that the fans are blocked by most likely dirt buildup. You will have to, unfortunately, take the laptop apart with small electronics (or watch screwdrivers) and get to all the fans and clear the dirt. You can't do this from the outside or by just removing the keyboard, it will be tedious and a bit complex but as long you take your time it will be fine. Dust Bunnies have been known to mess up The Order of Electronics.

Another thing that could be is your power cable. There are case where if the power cable is faulty, it screws up the voltage that is being fed to the laptop. This happened to me once and I had to get a new power cable. For older laptops, your best bet will be eBay.
    • Jan 11, 2012
      It doesn't mean the fans are blocked. Laptops only have 1 medium stong fan that wears out very quick. Even if he is correctly working he won't be able to cool down the CPU & Graphic. You can only support it with a coolerpad or a fan (the big ones

You can try some compressed air spray, helped me a bit

Offtopic.
      "Laptops aren't meant for gaming" BS. Laptops are only portable computers. I got mine 3 years now and never had any problem with games. As time goes by and games with higher needs the temperature rises.
      You can do everything you can do with a desktop with a laptop.

High mobility & no annoying cable salad
      Satsukii, May 26, 2013 Last edited by Satsukii, May 26, 2013
    • Dec 6, 2011
      http://plaguefest.com/threads/building-or-just-want-to-know-about-a-pc-click-here.10090/

http://plaguefest.com/threads/bretts-official-pc-thread-s-and-discussion.10450/

Tom's Hardware information:
      http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/toms-hardware-bestconfigs-build-a-pc,3453.html

Infinite resource of how-to videos:

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If it isn't, you will find an excuse.
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Jan 21, 2011
        I love my pre-fab and would recommend it to most anyone. I will never build a PC again.

That machine has pretty good specs except for the graphics. I see no reason not to get that now and put a graphics card in it somewhere down the line when you get some money to spend on it. If you can find one with a Core i5 processor instead of an i7, it will probably be cheaper and perform just as well on games. Gaming laptops cost way too much in comparison to their desktop equivalents.
      • Jan 11, 2012
        Again, BS. As long as you don't totally suck with technical stuff, building is better, cheaper and you know what is in your computer.
        Also you don't buy Razer shit, you buy Acer or Asus (Maybe Sony, maybe). I bought my Laptop 3 yrs ago, ~600$ so it should be about 300 now. Upgraded it with a SSD and it still works with the newest games. That's still 400 - 500 cheaper than that prebuild. For a little more powerful Laptop, I am about to buy me an Acer Aspire S3. It ranges from 400 to 1000$, depends on which parts you choose and it can be very powerful.

You can build a more balanced PC with about 100 - 200$ less
      • Mar 12, 2008
        I built my first one on my own. It's like legos except with a few wires and the bricks are slightly more expensive

Just don't break the processor/bend the pins and you're golden.

Either way, buy a case that you like, because you'll need to be servicing it and opening it for cleaning and shit
      • Dec 6, 2011
        And if he buys Intel, he won't even have to worry about any pins on a processor. It's a win-win situation!
      • Mar 12, 2008
        Idk if it's just me, but I never saw the appeal of having an i5 or i7 processor. I know it's Intel and it's possibly fast, but My AMD processor does fine when it comes to anything I throw at it. I guess i'm cheap, or something.
      • Dec 6, 2011
        Well, the argument usually stands at: AMD is only an option until a 2500k/3570k fits into your budget, but even before that people usually go for Intel. They currently dominate the Processor field, no doubt. Unless you're going for a sub $600 PC, AMD is mostly out of the question in this generation of CPUs.
      • Mar 12, 2008
        Hm. I saw that if I went Intel, I had to buy a whole new mobo, at the time i had an AM3 mobo so i went AMD, but I like it so i guess that's all that matters :neutral:
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jan 21, 2011
          I'm very good with technical stuff, but the one pc that I did build went to shit after about a year. I bought a pre-fab gateway as my next pc and it still runs perfectly fine 6 years later. I bought another pre-fab gateway coming up on 3 years ago. I was planning on building one at the time, but this pre-fab had everything I wanted and was cheaper than building it. Best decision I've made in a while. The only things I've changed since I got it was I put a bigger power supply that I won in a raffle and an SSD in it. The only thing I still may change is the graphics card. And I know exactly what is in my computer because I'm not an idiot. Some pre-fabs aren't bad, and I don't see why everyone is so against them.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          People are against them because they are a bit more expensive, and they make use cheaper parts. The PC you built that went to shit was most likely an error on your part. Although if you're up for spending 20% more on a pre-built PC, by all means be my guest. I just advice against it because I feel it's a waste. Take @ZombieSlayer for example, he had no clue what the most generic PC part was, but with my help and a single Youtube video, he built a $1,500 gaming PC. So nobody can say "they know nothing about computers" either. I believe it's all just a matter of laziness.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jun 11, 2012
            If from the start your PC heats up quick then yes a cooler pad will help. But from his explanation it seems there is airway blocking from the intake fan to the CPU or GPU to the point that warm air is circulating instead of being let out. He had his laptop for a while with no heating issue so it would seem logical that a nice cleaning will be the right path. This is quite common if you keep your laptop anywhere beside a hermetically sealed room. Also by blowing compressed air directly to the intake fan will just push more obstruction into the laptop.

Here's my soon to be retired laptop that I had since 2006.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
          • Jan 21, 2011
            The motherboard was bad. Nothing I did. And, as I said in my previous post, the pre-fab I have now was CHEAPER than building the exact same pc.
          • Oct 17, 2011
            I just finished cleaning my laptop after a long time. It still gets laggy after a while but doesn't really as quick as it used to

my question is. should that power i provided in the link run the heaviest possible games and is it upgradable?
          • Feb 27, 2012
            Don't quote me on this, but as long as you don't get something like a Dell or HP, it should be upgradable. I've had a few friends buy some pre-built PC's, and they were upgradable. Also, if you can find a pre-built that is cheaper than building it with the exact (or close to) same parts, then buy it. That's probably what happened with seeker, his pre-built was on sale or something.