Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

A little information about pictures from your phone...

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Aug 17, 2012

1. Feb 27, 2012
    I posted this in another thread, but I don't know if anybody saw it. So, to make sure more people see it. I'm sure most of you know about this, but i know there are some of you who don't.

Do not post a picture to facebook or any online media from your cell phone or anything that could possibly contain your location. It contains EXIF data that will show the coordinates of where the picture was taken. With that little information, they have greatly narrowed down your whereabouts. If they have even your first name, they could start doing a search for your first name in the relevant area of the coordinates on facebook and find you. From there, they will gather all the information that is there, which includes full names, phone numbers, email addresses, pictures, and your wall posts, depending on security settings. Now, if pictures are available to them, they could learn from how you are, whether it be that you party hard, rich, poor, or just sit in front of your computer all day. And if you have a picture where you have school t-shirt or sweater on, then they now know where you go to school! So, they now have your full name, school you go to or have gone to, know what your friends look like, phone number, and know exactly what you look like. They could wait for you to leave the school and follow you to your home. Now they know where you live. If they wanted to, they could kill you, rape you, rob you, whatever they want.

Long story short, never ever ever ever post a picture on a public place from a cell phone or anything that could contain X and Y coordinates in the EXIF data in it. If your phone has location services, turn it off unless you are using a GPS or an application absolutely requires it.
  2. May 14, 2011

If someone is that interested in finding where I live, what will they do when they meet me? Say hi?
    Post Merged, Aug 17, 2012

I just tested it out, theres no GPS data in pics taken from my phone. Even though it uses Android 4.0.4 and I always have my GPS enabled.
  3. Aug 1, 2011
    You could just easily turn on the location service of your phone. Problem solved.

Also, most people post pictures with locations to sites like Facebook where their address or location is always stated.
  4. Dec 19, 2008
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    Why would someone take all the effort of doing this while most people say EVERYTHING you stated on their facebook page anyway. The only way you can stay pretty much anonymous is not participating in social media, using made up e-mail adresses for every different thing you do in life (school/work/internet/games/hooby's), and somehow find a way to not let internet sites/games track your IP adress down and find your PC in a 50 KM radius.

I understand what you mean though, life isn't really private anymore ... sadly.

*> Insert random word here which alerts CIA/FBI<*
  6. May 14, 2011
    Inserted. :smile:
  7. Feb 27, 2012
    Well, that stuff happened to alot of people on 4chan. If you ever think about pissing someone off and knows about 4chan, make sure there are no X Y coordinates in EXIF data. They can just go on 4chan and be like "THIS GUY MAKES ME BUTTMAD. SOMEONE FIND HIM FOR ME. #SWAG #YOLO" and then you're, how do you say in your country, fucked. I never post that shit. I know better and i really don't want some hairy ape looking pale 45+ year old guy coming to my house lol. I've found EXIF data from a few peoples photos. Most, if not all new phones now contain EXIF data. I know it started to be more commonly embedded in photos after the iPhone 3G+ and iPhone 4 came out. But this thread was to be informative to others. I'm not sure if turning location services off works, but i would think it does.

@Tony Montana, i know it was late. But in the thread i posted about 4chan tracking down a girl with so very minimal information, being only her first name and state, that they found her. I posted this because, like i said at the beginning of the post, soooo many people don't know about it and it never hurts to let more people know at any time.
  8. Apr 7, 2012
    Being 16, stupid and obsessed with 4chan, what can go wrong?
  9. May 15, 2011
    How about, instead of trying to hide yourself, since you can't, and their are PLENTY more ways to find out were you live, just don't piss people off? Making enemies is the quickest way to get hurt. :/
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Aug 8, 2012
      Well then, these bitches can come say hi to me then :grin:, then maybe we could have a really good convo :smile:
    • Aug 18, 2006
      You can get rid of said information by getting a metadata stripper or by saving the image as a web image in a photo processor like Photoshop.
      • Like Like x 1
        [31Bravo] Ray, Aug 17, 2012 Last edited by Ray, Aug 17, 2012
      • Feb 27, 2012
        That i did not know. good to know :grin:
        I don't even visit 4chan more than 1 time a week lol. I know 20+ year old guys that go on for hours daily.
      • May 12, 2012
      • Nov 11, 2011
        You can simply use something like Exit Tag Remover before uploading. It's a one click solution.