Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

About those models...

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by llVeXXll, Jul 4, 2012

1. Jun 18, 2012
    For those of you who read my last thread you'll know I was having problems accessing the .mdl files for CS GO. In the end I discovered I didn't need to use the .ncf/ .gcf file. I needed to use the pak01_dir.vpk file in the csgo folder. Now I can extract any .mdl file I want however now I have a new problem- I can't ADD to the pak01_dir.vpk file, for obvious reasons. So once I have made another copy of a differnt size, how do I get it into hammer? Also, I have downloaded other models that were intended for CS Source, and I can't get these into hammer either.

I have been told on 2 occasions that I will need to open up the pak01_dir.vpk with either notepad ++ or a hex editor, and "change the bit where it tells it where to look for the model and its name" I asked for a more detailed explanation as I don't have any idea how to do this but no one got back to me. I opened it up in notepad and I can't find which bit to edit or what to type.
  2. May 14, 2011
    You sure there isn't a place where it just says that directory?

I'm sure it isn't that different from a vmt. Try and find something that looks similar to the way a vmt shows the directory of the texture. That's a good place to start. Until I get home I'm afraid I can't be any more help than that.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Jun 18, 2012
    The thing is 163289 lines long, I did a search for the word duck (cause it's the only unique model I remember seeing in hammer) and it is in there it's just surrounded by a load of gobbledegook that I wouldn't know how to write for my custom models..

[IMG]
  4. May 14, 2011
    That's not a file your supposed to edit i dont think. Thats like trying to edit a bsp in notepad. You need the stage before it got turned into that, or try and change the language so it's readable in notepad ++

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Jun 18, 2012
    Well I have no idea where to start, all I want is to be able to use a bloody custom model XD ^_^ but it doesnt work just putting it in the correct folder.
  6. Jan 9, 2012
    Use gfcscape to open the dir.vpk file, and extract the files you need? That should work. The only issue is if the model is not compatible because of different source versions, but it should.
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    I've tried them... they work. Just open up the *_dir.vpk files, if you open any other files you will get corrupt models/materials. Open GFScape, open the _dir file, extract all of them into your material and models folder, restart :hammer:. Bam.
  8. Apr 9, 2012

I'm not sure if I got the forum's point in the right direction, but models in Hammer often tend to become unusable because of 1 bit inside a models .mdl file:

Go to the very first line of the model. There you will see it start with either "IDLE0" or "IDLE," (without the "'s)
    If it's IDLE0, change it to IDLE,

What this does is for example when you decompile a model, you can only decompile it if it's IDLE, and not IDLE0
    The 0 makes the model unedittable unless you change it with Notepad++

And whatever you do to change hexes and model files, NEVER use Notepad from windows, always use Notepad++
    The one obvious reason is that Notepad from Windows doesn't recognise certain symbols and codes inside the hex system, and a such just removes them. That means that if you just open and .mdl in notepad from windows and afterwards save it without even having changed one tiny bit, it will become corrupt and unusable in any way.

Notepad++ keeps models intact even while editting them (All the NULL's with a dark background as in your image are getting removed by notepad from windows while Notepad++ keeps them)

That's all I can contribute to this thread (even if it's probably not what you guys are looking for)
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jun 18, 2012
      Thanks everyone but i gave up on this custom model, nothing worked. I am putting it down to just a bad compile. And I don't know how to recompile, which is what I have just posted about in another thread.