Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Advice choosing PSU and RAM

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Ant-Dub, Jun 24, 2013

1. Apr 27, 2013
    Hi all,

I’m about to attempt my 1st ever build in the next week and I’ve the below items already bought , should be arriving by the end of the week.

The only items I don’t have picked out is the PSU and the RAM, any advice?
    This is the set up so far.

Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer - USB3
    MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard LGA1150 Intel Z87
    i5 (4670K) 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB( Possibly 2 )
    Samsung 120GB 840 Pro
    Windows 8 ( Wanted Win 7 but out of stock where I was getting this from)
    Cooler Master Trigger Gaming Keyboard (Red Cherry)
    Cooler Master Inferno Gaming Mouse
    Additional Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 LED Silent Fan (Red)

On the PSU I’ve a choice from CoolerMaster, EVGA or OZ, from what I’ve been told 650 – 750 watt.

On the RAM, I’ve been directed towards the below 3 but not sure which one, if you can recommend a different one let me know.
    Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance Red 2133MHz DDR3 DIMM 240-pin CL11
    G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Sniper DDR3 PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28 1866 MHz
    G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Ripjaws-X DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz CL9

2. Feb 9, 2012
    bro, do not get windows 8. there's so many places u can get windows 7 from. unless u like the layouts of how tablets are, you're better off with windows 7. as for which ram, i dont have much knowledge about them but i believe 8 gb is good enough. 16 gb would be the max i would get for pretty much anything. getting 8 gb over 16 would probably be enough to help u get a 660 ti rather than a 660 since ur planning on spending so much on some of the other main components.
  3. Apr 27, 2013
    I'm getting most of the items at half the price through work, if I told you how much I got the 660 SC's for I'd have to hunt you down and shoot you ( that's a joke before some CIA or FBI filters pick this up :smile: )

I think I'm getting windows for around €40 so I'm make do with it, I heard you can change the settings so everything looks like W7.

PC's for gaming so won't go over 8GB for now.

1st ever gaming PC so feel like a kid at Xmas again, dying for DayZ.

Cheers for the reply though.
  4. May 14, 2011
    Why? What's wrong with it?

You can get a few programs like "Start 8" which mean you only need to use Metro UI when you want to. With SP1 they are actually adding a start button. You get improved boot times and a nicer task manager and file transfer screen.
  5. Jul 1, 2010
    I personally enjoy Windows 8. Everyone does realize that you DO have an actual desktop right? It's not just the start screen, although you do get used to the start screen and I have actually come to enjoy it. I took my Start8 purchase and stuck it on my parents machine so they had one.

Windows 8 on a SSD (Samsung 840 Pro in my case) absolutely flies.
  6. Jun 23, 2010
    Any of the G.Skill RAM are good, well at least all of the one I got are.

For PSU, a lot of people like the Seasonic X Series PSU. They got a X-650 too, which I highly recommend and not that expensive! And I think its Semi-Modular, which is a huge plus!