Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Advice for new pc

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by erick-p11, Dec 9, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    No Newegg.com? What is this heresy! You're in the US, right?

But seriously, if you plan on doing decent graphics, don't get an APU (GPU+CPU). Go for something like the FX series chips, you can get a nice 6300 or something on Newegg for the same price. I'm sure you can find a crossfire/SLI compatible motherboard on Newegg or Tigerdirect for the same price. Tigerdirect doesn't provide a lot of info on their products, I'm not entirely sure if that board supports full x8 crossfire/SLI on the PCI-E slots (which would be a loss of performance and making adding a 2nd card useless when trying to save cash).

Tip about Ram, a single module is fine, but you won't be able to take advantage of the dual channel speeds. It wouldn't really matter that much, but I figure it'd be worth mentioning.

If you let us know aboot a price point, we may be able to assist you more on finding better deals/parts. I'm sure there's something better out there for you than an APU on a mATX board.
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    @Brett because I have to poop and stupid win 8 install is stupid and now I can't connect my samba shares anymore so gotta find workaround. dis is stupid.

What's your budget though? Also you if can bump it up a bit see if you can get your hand on some 3800 series Intel CPU. The cost of upping here will maybe let you get away with the lowered cost of a GPU. Nowadays it's not the GPU the bottleneck but the CPU.

edit: DAMM IT BRETT
  3. Apr 10, 2011
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    Buy this, best deal by far anywhere: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1416460

I like this deal because it doesn't focus on expensive motherboard/extras. You may want to add a 2nd 8GB ram module so you can use dual channel speeds, but that's not entirely necessary. Also this is the only combo deal even remotely close to $500 with such a great GPU. All others around this price point are GT640s or HD7750s.
  5. Apr 10, 2011