Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Air Asia has been been found, No survivors, 40/173 bodies recovered.

Discussion in In The News started by Clam Chowder, Jan 7, 2015

1. Nov 29, 2010
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30706298

Cause of the crash is unknown, bad weather assumed.

Black box to be found soon.

It's certainly a sad day for aviation with all the media blowing shit out of proportions. Sooner or later I'm going to expect fox news to cover some bullshit article about safety about aviation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • May 31, 2012

I heard this was the safest year for aviation (by numbers).
    • Jul 20, 2010

I doubt it was bad weather, there were tons of other flights that went through that same area as well. My money is on the pilots were overwhelmed with flying through a storm system and made mistakes that led to the crash. Or knowing this was an Airbus the pitot tubes might have iced over which tell the pilots and the aircraft how fast it's flying. If they found most of the plane in-tact as it's been reported, then odds are the tubes were not working correctly due to ice inside them or something else blocking them. This caused the airplane to give false speed readings and caused the pilots to stall the plane and then it banked and fell down either belly first or on one of its wings.

This isn't the first Airbus to be downed due to blocked pitot tubes.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Oct 29, 2010
        Well aren't you certainly up-to-date with ongoing news, this airliner was lost way back on December 28.

Past few months did suck for commercial aviation indeed. MH370, MH17, GE222, AH5017, etc. . .and the unique & tragic circumstances surrounding MH370 and MH17. . .
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Mar 12, 2008

the other one is still missing IIRC

fuck flying, shit is too scary
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Feb 21, 2007
            seriously? I feel like I've seen more airplanes on the news disappear or crash this year than previous few years
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Nov 29, 2010
              • Informative Informative x 2
              • May 31, 2012
                In fact: If you want too look at all types of airplane incidents and accidents - including small aircraft - and you don't like Wikipedia as a source, then you can use NTSB.gov.

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx
                (This link goes directly to their search page)

I did a search to include all the airplane incidents and accidents (regardless of severity) that occurred globally, and was not amateur-built, and I even included non-commercial flights (although you can do a series of searches if you'd really like to limit it to commercial flights, and two sets of searches to include global information). I found that 2014 had SIGNIFICANTLY less incidents and accidents compared to previous years; I only did searches within the most recent 10 years, and I included the beginning of January 2015 into my 2014 search:

[IMG]

2014 had at least 15% less incidents than the second smallest incident+accident count, which occurred in 2013. The following smallest incident+accident account occurred four years before in 2009.

This has been a very successful year in aviation, and it's extremely safe to fly considering these numbers. The media is doing an intense job at showing otherwise, and it is hyping up their viewers.

Great softball question/statement, thanks! :wink:
                • Agree Agree x 1
                  Joshy, Jan 8, 2015 Last edited by Joshy, Jan 8, 2015
                • Feb 24, 2011
                  You should check out http://www.flightradar24.com/ as it shows a real-time-ish graph of all the air traffic around the globe.
                  Just imagine this buttload of planes in the air every single day and count in the statistics of incidents/accidents every year. The risk of flying is pretty darned small compared to other methods of travel, although i guess you'd have way more time to flip your shit IF anything really were to happen. :sweat:

Media want dem headlines because manies is a thing.
                  • Jul 20, 2010
                    It's safe to fly still and has been for a while. But unfortunately pilot training hasn't changed or kept pace with new disasters. They don't train the pilots how to handle when an airplane is giving you two different types of airspeed readings, how to correctly recover a stall.

Pilot training is lacking and it shows in the few disasters that happen since most of them could have been prevented or avoided if the pilots had training and knew how to handle different situations.
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Sep 22, 2010
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Mar 26, 2012
                        I have been following this, and what Badgriuel said about how the plane crashed is probably true. They believe this because there isn't debris all over the place making it unlikely that there was a midair explosion or the plane crashing at a fast speed. Since they have found the plane and it is indeed mostly intact, the plane likely crashed at a slow speed (for a plane) around 100-150 mph. They expect that the speed of the plane had something to do with it leading to a stall. Air France had a similar issue when the pilot tubes, which detect the speed iced over. The caltain had a newer pilot start flying and the newer pilot didn't detect that the pilot tube was giving an inaccurate speed. They couldn't see the horizon cause it was dark and didn't notice they were stalling until too late.
                        • Informative Informative x 3
                        • Oct 25, 2012
                          I'd be willing to bet there was something wrong with the engine's causing them to die mid flight in any case its still sad that 173 people died even more saddening the underwater currents make recovery of all of the body's almost impossible
                          Hitman 47, Jan 9, 2015 Last edited by Hitman 47, Jan 9, 2015