Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Alternatives to Satellite Internet

Discussion in Networking started by meeko, Dec 12, 2011

1. Oct 29, 2010
    I (actually, we) need help.

About a week ago, family had to move. Then, I came home for winter break.

We moved to this house in an even more remote area than we already lived before.

More background & the problem:

We were able to get decent high-speed DSL broadband internet (Verizon) at the old house. So, internet was fine, and latency hovered at around 120.

Then we move to the new place. . .and the only internet we could get was satellite, because Verizon (and other wired-internet services) considered our area too remote to even install internet in.

As soon as the fam moved in, they ordered Hughes satellite, at 1 Mbps download/200 kpbs upload (barely within our budget. . .but twice more expensive than the Verizon plan we previously had. )

We THOUGHT satellite internet would be fine. . .no, it is not--it's a fucking nightmare.

We're allotted 200 mb download allowance per 24 hours by Hughes. . .which is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, because of the five members in the household, four of us uses the internet (three when I was gone.)

Satellite internet is abysmally sluggish. Please refer to my signature for the usual download/upload speeds. . .

QUESTION: What other alternatives are there to satellite?

I've heard of one: buying a data plan & wifi card from Verizon/T-mobile or something. But I'm unsure of whether the advertised speeds are real.

Any recommendations/good alternatives to satellite internet?
  2. Feb 18, 2011
    Where are you located? It would be easier knowing your current place in the world.
  3. Mar 20, 2011
    Your best bet is to go with a Verizon or Sprint setup. You can use a EDVO router and plug in a USB CDMA wireless adapter. I doubt you have Verizon LTE but you can check coverage here. http://network4g.ver...erizon-wireless, Last option would be some GSM network in your area.

If you can get Verizon LTE go with it, otherwise you can go with Sprint. As far as I know though, all DATA plans charge for anything over 5GB now.

Wireless Routers that support USB wireless modems

4. Oct 29, 2010
    Zipcode 92372.

Gonna delete the zipcode in a couple of days.
  5. Apr 9, 2007
    I agree. If you have cell service where you are with Edge or 3G... go with cellular.

However, if you were in Canada, I wouldn't suggest this because our plans here are bullshit.
  6. Oct 29, 2010
    No coverage for either the Verizon LTE or the Sprint 4G. I don't think Sprint 3G is available either.

EDIT: according to the T-Mobile site, we only have 2G. We're JUST outside the 3g range. . .
  7. Oct 29, 2010
    A special thank you to Kyle and Churma for the help in this (fairly dire) issue.
  8. Oct 29, 2010
    Churma, I do indeed have 3G coverage in my area, contrary to what I've initially assumed. Glad you suggested the Verizon; we decided to give Verizon a try.

We took home a mobile hotspot earlier today to give it a try. . .

I ran speedtest.net on both internets. Results:
    • With 3G, I'm getting about 102 latency, 1.5 mpbs download, and .4 mpbs upload.
    • With satellite without the FAP being activated on us, we still get about 1200 latency, .15 mpbs download (a tenth of what we were promised), and .34 mpbs upload.

Youtube and regular webpages load much faster with the 3G. Ran a little informal test with the loading times of GQ.com (has a flash-heavy homepage). . .satellite still lags, while the 3G took 3/4ths less time than the satellite.

What not to like about the 3G? The 5 gb/10 gb data limits. (We're trying out the 5 gb plan for now.)

But, that's okay, I suppose.

It is safe to assume that satellite internet will be getting a boot from the household very soon.
  9. Mar 20, 2011
    Satellite really does blow. I use to install Direct Way aka Hughes. If you got anything below 2000ms was amazing. Back in the days the upstream went by the way of dialup. Satellite internet is best used for Gas Stations in the middle of nowhere to do credit card transactions. Since you are trying it out, I would really go with the USB modem and a 3G wireless router, like the netgear. That way you can port forward, QOS to your box and make everyone else suffer on your home network.

10. Apr 9, 2007
    Cell is typically sub netted by the carrier.
  11. Mar 20, 2011
    I have got public IP's on Sprint and Verizon in the SF Bay area for clients. They use them to connect to IP cameras. Perhaps you have to have a business account to get a Public IP from a USB 3G modem but I do not think so. It is the software which dictates if you want a public facing IP or a local private IP. I know hotspots are sub netted to usually 192.x.x.x
  12. Aug 18, 2006
    Trust me. I know how that feels. I was in your situation over the summer for a month. I hated it.

IIRC, Verizon wants to expand their 4G markets to every location that currently receives 3G by 2013. You'll be getting another speed bump soon.