Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

AMD Releases Radeon RAM Disks... turn your memory into ultra fast virtual disk drives.

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Never Enough, Oct 10, 2012

1. Feb 14, 2012

2. Feb 14, 2012

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
  3. May 14, 2011
    What good is this? Will this act as a cache drive then? Otherwise you won't fit anything on the ram. Also, doesn't RAM get wiped if you have a system power failure.

Sent from my phone. :O
  4. Feb 14, 2012
    RAM is wiped everytime your system powers off. The software must commit to the HDD at intervals. Basically it will grant faster access times to systems with RAM to burn.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
  5. Jul 30, 2012
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nov 29, 2010
      So hm.. Let me get this straight. This system uses a part of your ram and turns it essentially into a virtual ssd? Interesting.
    • May 14, 2011
      Nope. This uses your ram as a RamDrive. Nothing to do with SSDs. What THIS does is back up your RamDrive every X seconds to make it work.

However as 8gb is the largest stick of ram available you can only have 32 gb or ram in a system at once. (AMD system). A stick costs £30 a pop so thats £120 for 32gb of storage. You could have a 240gb SSD for that.

This IS outdated.
    • Jul 30, 2012
      I wouldn't pay for this you can do it for free..
    • May 14, 2011
      I am going to try this out but only as working memory. That is, when I edit photos, move music around etc.

4gb is too small for any program or even video rendering.
      Post Merged, Oct 10, 2012
      Alright this sucks. Capture
    • Jul 1, 2010
      Mine is transfering at around 50 MB/sec
    • May 14, 2011
    • Jul 1, 2010
    • May 14, 2011
    • Jul 30, 2012
      This is so old lol... Ramdisks have been out for years.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260918/how_to_supercharge_your_pc_with_a_ram_disk.html
      http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk
      There's about 100 programs, they all have different speeds but ramdisk is most common.

I tried using a ramdisk for dayz, the load times are the same even though the ramdisk is significantly faster. Pretty sure ssds are too fast for cpus (or mine atleast) so unless you have the best of the best intel cpu, you won't notice a different vs an ssd. If you have a harddrive though, you definitely will want this.

You can bench it better with crystalmark.
    • May 14, 2011
      This screen shot was SOOOOOO hard to capture.

pic
    • Jul 30, 2012
      SSDs are too fast for anything.. bottle neck on the sata which is why they have the PCI-E SSDs.. Even then there is still a bottle neck..
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • May 14, 2011
      • Jul 30, 2012
        Yeah and it is still to slow for a good SSD