Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

AMD vs. Nvidia? 7000 series vs. 600 series?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Brett, Dec 18, 2011

1. Dec 6, 2011
    I think I'll be "that guy" to bring this here =P Also, what 2012 series do you think will be on top? AMD's spec's are sounding pretty legit at this point, with Nvidia trailing far behind.
  2. Jun 19, 2011
    AMD FTW4EVER. F**K Intel and Nvidia. Money is everything, cheap = best.
  3. Jan 21, 2011
    Uh... no. i7>anything amd. I do like me some ATI gfx though :3 (AND FUCK AMD, ITS ATI IN MY MIND STILL)
  4. Aug 18, 2006
    Seriously?! Everything about that post is just wrong. Fanboyism at its best... :rolleyes:

Cheap is NOT the best. If Cheap was the best a fucking 10 year old FX-5200 piece of shit would be considered the best video card you could buy. Price/Performance is what you're looking for. It's called VALUE. Value does not discriminate between brands...

The AMD 7000 series is looking pretty damn good. It's a nice architectural overhaul (on paper at least), as for Nvidia's 600 series, we don't know much about it, but Kepler looks very promising.

I personally prefer Nvidia. Why? Better drivers. AMD's drivers have improved lately, but I don't think they are quite up to par yet...
  5. Sep 11, 2011
    Anything you hear about the 7000 series is word of mouth, as everything is still under NDA. With that said, a reviewer at a hardware forum has said, as to not break the terms of the NDA, that the 7000 should be worth our money.

Commenting on drivers, as a former owner of 460s, and currently a 6970, I will tell you, Nvidia has better drivers.

As for which will be better, we really can't know, as little has been said about the 600 series. We are still a few months out from it, and anything is rumor. Remember what we heard of bulldozer a few months before release? Until it is launched, don't listen to rumors, certainly never base purchases off of them.
  6. Mar 26, 2011
    HAHA you losers I have AMD HD 6700 Series!!!
  7. Sep 11, 2011
    That's probably the most insightful thing I have ever read. You have opened my eyes for the future, and what it holds.

Thank you.
  8. Apr 2, 2011
    Honestly, I can't add more to the conversation, except. Why can't there be a grey area? (Weird coming from me, who likes black and white, with no grey.) I like both. I had NVIDIA, and I now have AMD. They both are fine products. BUT... if I had to buy one or the other atm... I would choose AMD, because NVIDIA did give me issues with updating and all of that shit.... :down: Oh well...
  9. Feb 21, 2007
    i like my gtx580....
  10. Dec 7, 2010
    With CPUs Intel is the performance leader and AMD is the value leader.

Graphics cards are the same story: Nvidia is the performance leader and AMD/ATI is the value leader.

There is room in the market for both and here is the proof: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

These are benchmarks submitted by actual owners of each type of video cards. Amazingly GTX 580 is faster than the top of the line GTX 590.
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    the gtx580 is very sexy indeed, but I just can't stand the price/performance for it. Was actually going to build a pc with the 6970's in CF w/ an i5 2500k but now I'm waiting for Ivy bridge and 7950's (since they're supposedly going to equal two 6970's and then some), and should be about the same price point. I do like the lower power consumption from the previous series though, i'll be able to use a 850watt I got for free.

And a side note, I'm not totally psyched for the 600 series because I'm just expecting more expensive cards with terrible price/performance ratio, but damn I wish they were a tad cheaper because I'd be all over them. Nvidia > AMD if Nvidia was just a tiny bit cheaper. I'm torn between, no fanboyism here.
  12. Dec 7, 2010
    Just like a Ferrari vs a Ford; The Ferrari will get you there a lot faster with lots of style over a Ford but you will have to pay through the nose for it. Same with Nvidia over ATI/AMD, Nvidia will get you there a lot faster but you have to pay through the nose for it, but ATI/AMD will get you there efficiently and cheaply.
  13. Dec 6, 2011
    Exactly, couldn't have worded it any better. I prefer AMD/ATI for this because I can get two for a little less than double the performance, and still only pay 140% more than the 580. (two 6970's at $350 a pop vs. a GTX 580 around $500)

Though AMD may have it's downs, like being very loud, and having somewhat questionable (but progressing) drivers, I'll still be able to manage. But as I said before, and I'll say it again, "but damn I wish they were a tad cheaper because I'd be all over them. Nvidia > AMD if Nvidia was just a tiny bit lighter on the wallet. I'm torn between, no fanboyism here."

I'm always going to expect different views on this topic, it's nice to see other people's opinions on what I'm in the middle of.
  14. Nov 29, 2010
    Standing with a gtx 580, sure it was a lot of cash to fork over, but not once have I ran into a game I can't run on this computer, even the newest games run consistently at 120fps

Do you have any other useless posts to contribute to this topic?
  15. Feb 18, 2011
    With the Radeon 7000 coming out soon I would lean towards AMD being the better video card brand in terms of quality. The Nvidia cards scare me a bit cause I don't want a card ready to short out.
  16. Dec 7, 2010
    I've owned dozens of Nvidia video cards from various OEMs and never had a problem with any of them. I had Nvidia cards from well known companies such as EVGA, ASUS, BFG to obscure brands such as Albatron and Apollo.
  17. Mar 20, 2011
    I have both, I have found the 6950/90 series on AMD work nice and so does the Nvidia 580's. I have found Nvidia cards draw a whole lot more current than AMD latest offerings. I had to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit because my rig with the Nvidia cards kept tripping my 15 amp circuit breaker under a load in a game. Nvidia also supports PhysX which AMD does not. To be honest though, I have never seen any difference.
  18. Jun 19, 2011
    To me, cheap is good. Money is useful, graphics card can't get me anything to eat.

PS: I didn't say cheap cards are good in performance.
  19. Feb 18, 2011
    Just read this and it looked interesting. Good thoughts for comparing the two.
  20. Aug 2, 2010
    Looks like everyone pretty much hit the important points here. One thing left out was the fact Crossfire scales better than SLI if you're thinking of going with 2 or more cards.

Nvidia > AMD in regards to drivers as Ray has stated.

Intel > AMD. The FX series was a huge disappointment.