Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Ancient Chinese Coin

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Jul 24, 2013

1. Feb 27, 2012
    My dad works at a scrapyard and yesterday he found this coin. I have no idea what it was worth, what it says, how old it is or what it's worth now. Does anybody know what it is? I've been looking forever and i can't find this specific coin anywhere. Also, does anybody know what the coin says on the front side? The only things i know is that it is an ancient Chinese coin. It could even be a charm.

Yes they are crappy pictures, but i was using my phone, and it's the only camera i have.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Mar 4, 2012
    I doubt it's actually ancient or worth anything or even an actual Chinese coin.

Probably just some old trinket someone dropped.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Did he dig it up or was it just on the floor?

This is important.

It could easily just as be a souvenir from a necklace or something. It doesn't look like it's circulated or even weathered for that matter. If it was dug up from being inside a clay layer or something that could also contribute to it's condition. It looks like it could be bronze but the potato you took the pictures with don't do it justice. It looks like the "window" still has it's lip too, so it might be a recent coin.
    • Feb 27, 2012
      I'm not sure exactly. He was just moving some stuff, and he found it. It looks like bronze to me. I'll ask him when he gets home later. I mean, someone could have had it in their attic and when they took some stuff to the scrap yard, it got mixed in with it.
    • Mar 12, 2008

http://primaltrek.com/guide.html

much better than looking for similar coins, it seems your coin is a type of currency but i'm still trying to figure it out.

OK it might be a "universal currency" based on the symbols, read from right to left 寶.

You have to figure out when it was minted though, cause i can't figure out anything yet, but it is money. Check anything within the last thousand years or so.

Did some more research. This coin may have been minted during the Ming Dynasty. The top character is or "Wen" So far, you have a piece of (Universal Currency) minted during (Emperor Wen?)'s rule. TIL there's literally 1 million "wen"s. This could prove difficult. At the very least you could probably go post on a coin collector's forum somewhere. If you're lucky you can get a free appraisal from an enthusiast.

In case it's worth something you can get a coin sleeve for it(or make one, but you need some staples, thick paper, and cellophane). Better yet, you can keep it as a starter to a coin collection. Either is win/win.

@AkaDemikz halp plz
      Taters, Jul 24, 2013 Last edited by Taters, Jul 24, 2013
    • Nov 11, 2011
      Make a necklace out of it for now or keep it in safe storage. Didn't research more into it, but it's in VF condition, might be worth a couple months admin.
    • Feb 8, 2013
      Not really ancient. I've had plenty of these handed to me as a child. I've Lost 'Em All (a "Kill 'Em All" replica...) and really don't care, so it mustn't be that rare.
    • Feb 27, 2012
      From what i've seen, certain ones can be worth up to $450, and even more. Then others are just worth like $4-$5.