Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Tutorial (and resource) Simple level system with no physics/brushes.

Discussion in Resources & Tutorials started by enviolinador, Sep 13, 2012

1. May 31, 2012
    Most ZE maps nowadays include levels. As a mapper, I know that levels are slightly entity consuming, and, although I'm tired of maps with levels, I try to look a bit further into the system to develop it.

Some time ago, Tony and I talked about trying to make a level system that didn't use physics nor env_global. I tried, but failed horribly. Then scrapped it.

Today, I decided to experiment a bit to get a system to change player's model while playing (and failed). Instead, started using addoutput on everything that I could and, while toying around with ent_setname after deleting all the entities, I noticed I renamed the spawnpoint I had on my test map. This meant I could rename them, and maybe, being lucky, move them. I tried and it worked. I noticed then that, as the origin changed, it kept where it had been set. This meant ZE maps based on levels could go on, in theory, from the last spot. I kept trying; it seemed pretty good entity wise, and it didn't crash, not even once. Due to its simplicity, I believe this is much of the explanation, which, simplified, means:

1) We can name Spawn Points, turning SmartEdit off and adding a new field 'targetname' along with the new name. With them labeled, we can move them to wherever we want using AddOutput <name> <X Y Z>
    2) We can build, because of this, simplified level systems that don't depend on physics, brushes and other entities that, in the end, increase the entity count.
    3) It's simple. Sure, adding each position to each level end will be terribly annoying, but the system itself can be understood by almost every mapper.

Finally, a prefab with 2 levels showing the system.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q0730z
    • Wizard! Wizard! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • May 15, 2011
      This is great! You are a wizard! Although I wont use it, just knowing such a thing is possible is really nice to know. I expect great things from ZE mappers!
    • May 14, 2011

Would this theoretically mean you can set the target name or a player who spawns at that spawnpoint?
    • May 31, 2012
      I understand that this 'or' is an 'of'. Nope. You can control the spawnpoint, one entity, not the player, which is a different one.
    • May 14, 2011
      Well thats bad. I guess that doesnt change the fact that to control individual players you still need 50 trigger multiples, filters, teleports and teledests.
    • May 31, 2012
      Hm... I think you could use fewer entities, maybe just... 6? But it wouldn't work with this system as they are 'together'. The filters, however, would need to be different.
    • Jul 20, 2012
      Does this still work without using info_teleport_destination system like in the ze_SURVIVORS? Could you re-upload the file again please? :beer: