Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Annoying things (Mapping)

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Ghost, Sep 4, 2012

Better?

GO 4 vote(s) 28.6%
Source 9 vote(s) 64.3%
1.6 1 vote(s) 7.1%
  1. May 14, 2011

This is about things that annoy you whilst mapping.

The easiest way to give an example so ill give my "snags" in mapping.

• Forgetting to switch the brush tool to block after making a cylinder or something.
    • Hammer crashing after I did entity stuff so I don't know when the auto save started. >.<
    • Pressing CTRL instead of Shift when dragging brushes across. >.<
    Dunno how this thread will work out. >.<
    • Like Like x 1
    • Oct 17, 2011
      The first two of yours and when I want to make a lot of blocks in a spot by dragging one another, I forget to func_detail the first one and drag it till I get all of them. After it's done, I remember to func_detail them and I will have to do all of them one by one which annoys me badly and causes waste of time. If I only func_detailed the first one, I would of had all of them. I wish there is a way you can click all of them and tie them to entities separately func_detail but they all match up to one entity.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Feb 24, 2011
        • Getting a corrupted .vmf, where you need to open it and edit/find the issue manually. Although i gotta say that it's gotten a whole lot easier due to learning some tricks.
        • Like Like x 1
        • May 14, 2011
          Why would you want them all as separate func_details?

If you press the secret "ig" on the top bar you can move them individually anyway. :smile:

And that reminds me:

• Pressing "ig" and then forgetting I did and wondering where all my brush entities have gone off too.
          • Like Like x 1
          • Oct 17, 2011
            Some blocks like the castle ones need to be separate func_details. And wtf is ig
          • May 31, 2012
            • Particles sometimes. Damn you, particle system, you should be bigger/smaller!!!
            • Lasers/beams that act weird and don't hurt.
            • Entity limits.
            • Forgetting X flag, so Y thing doesn't trigger/work/look well.
            • The lack of banana textures.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Oct 17, 2011
              the worst one any mapper would want it. It causes you to decompile your map again and losing all rail, ladder textures and all the entities where you have to do the whole thing again. Stupid solid brushes.
            • May 15, 2011

fillerfilleghgrfa^ That there is ig, it stands for 'ignore groups' and it's used mostly to edit func_details or groups of brushes that you don't want to ungroup.
              • Like Like x 3
              • Nov 11, 2011
                My most annoying thing is creating a block that is zero units thick and causing all kinds of issues. Also when creating a block I end up using the selection tool. raaaagggeeee!!
                • Like Like x 1
                • Apr 9, 2012
                  Creating models in Sketchup or 3DS Max that were supposed to align in game with geometry or not and after the whole modelling, texturing and compiling process (which somethimes takes houres for some models) they don't align
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • May 14, 2011

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2.
                  • Jan 9, 2012

My pet peeve, is definitely the first one. I hate making blocks after doing spheres or cylinders.
                  • Nov 11, 2011
                    Mario...use HammerAutoSave and set it to save every 2 mins and atleast 15 save iterations. So no matter what, you'll always have a 2 minute old backup. No decomping necessary.
                  • May 15, 2011
                    I found out it's actually just your computer trying to render 4 views at the same time. I solve this by either zooming in all the 2D wire-frame views so they don't render anything, and only select in the 3D view, using ctrl+e to snap the 2D views on the selected object. Or you could just do shift+z and then x, thus, only rendering one camera and not 4.
                  • Oct 17, 2011
                    Nope. Autosave will not help. Only compiling can help save your map. It happened also on predator from Luffaren and that's why I think he lost v3 because of a solid brush. You have to get the last .bsp when this happens to get back the map and lose everything that you've done after the last compile or else all entities, ladders and rails are gone. It happened to me twice already. From now, I go to map>check for problems and see if there are any solid brushes to fix em or else the map will never come back once you close it. If you think I'm a mistake, make a test map, put some entities in it and make a weird ass brush with the clipping tool to make it solid. After that, save and leave then reopen it, it will reopen showing you that you lost all entities or it will keep crashing every time you try to open it.
                  • Nov 11, 2011
                    Obviously if you don't close the vmf and open it again at a later time, you'll never know when you've made a mistake!
                  • May 17, 2011
                    Using ignore groups to copy part of an existing group of brushes or an entity consisting of multiple brushes. Making your copy and then turning ignore groups off resulting in everything being deselected, forcing you to manually reselect everything you just copied.

This one used to really pissed me off, but then I discovered a trick.

Protip: Click the vertex tool while everything is still selected, then turn ignore groups off, then click the select tool. No deselect!
                  • May 14, 2011
                    Also ctrl+z reselects all of them. (undo)
                  • May 14, 2011
                    Making a texture and then realizing I spelt something wrong, I cant imagine what i would do if I did it to something like a community name in a credits texture. O.o
                  • Feb 24, 2011
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Funny Funny x 1