Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Another Quick Question

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by Like a Bauxe, Nov 5, 2012

1. May 27, 2012
    I have got to work on editing a map to fix up a couple of issues. I have finished all of that but now have run into an issue with compilling.

Once it reaches "BasePortalVis:" it gets to maybe 2-6 and then my hammer crashes. There are 2213 portalclusters and 6881 numportals. I read that changing any brushes to func_detail can help lower the numportals, but all it seems to do is increase the number.

Also when it crashes, vvis.exe uses my whole cpu (100%) and if I force quit that, vrad.exe does the same until I force quit that. Then the map compiles, but the lighting does not work.

Also letting it compile for time doesn't seem to work. I left it overnight, and it still didn't work.

Thanks.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    It doesn't crash, it's just using all your CPU power. It can take a few minutes all the way up to a few hours, depending on how well you've optimized the map. Definitely turn all details (ledges, trimmings, etc) into func_details and add areaportals/areaportalwindow's (or skip/hints, I'm not too great at those but work wonders) for areas you don't want rendered at a certain distance. Maybe have props fade at a certain distance (I particularly don't like this but it works).

Your portalclusters/numportals really are quite high (if this is an mg/zm/zmp) map. If you left it overnight... then you seriously need to func_detail or have someone help you optimize your map... at most it should take an hour for a larrrrgee map (and your computer specs would be helpful also).
  3. May 27, 2012
    Well when I made some func_detail's it just increased the count of numportals. Specs aren't fantastic, 2.30GHz quad core w/ 8GB RAM. No props included in the map either. Also hammer stops responding, it stopped responding for over 9 hrs overnight.

Thanks for the help though. :s
  4. Nov 11, 2011
    Uhhh no. You need to func_detail details... that's what that function is there for. :neutral: There is a difference between num and clusters. Your map is not optimized or you have a leak somewhere in your map. Did you load your pointfile to see one existed?
  5. May 27, 2012
    Sorry I worded that badly. I made all the brushes into func_detail. As for loading pointfile, whenever I try to load pointfile I don't get prompted to load the default pointfile, it just asks me to select one. There isn't one for the map either. Do you have an easier way of contact? Just curious.
  6. May 15, 2011
    Fucking. Strap me sideways and fiddle my dick. What is it about the word detail people don't understand?

Educate yourself!

Unless you are given a point file when you select the option, none exist.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      • Like Like x 1
      • May 27, 2012
        Got it down to 600 portalclusters and 2000 numportals. Tried just before and it still crashed, but going to try to run it now overnight. Thanks for the help. ^^
        • Like Like x 1
        • May 15, 2011
          It may even take longer than just a night. Depending on how well optimized, large, and intuitive your map is, it may take longer. Especially if you have a slower computer. It may say it's 'Not Responding', but it is. It just likes fuck with you.

lol
        • May 14, 2011
          If you wish to use your computer while compiling you may want to set your cpu affinity while you compile. It also helps prevent the compiler locking up although that is inevitable. If you wish to carry on checking is something is compiling check if your ram usage is steadily going up. If it is then its compiling. If its not wait a few mins and if its still not then end process on vvis.exe or vrad.exe .
        • May 27, 2012
          Longer for just 600 / 2000? o.O wow. Either way, I'll give it another shot now (didn't compile overnight) and if it isn't done in 4 hours I guess I will just get someone who has a good computer to help me out. >.<

No need to use my computer while doing it, but I haven't been watching the RAM. Thanks. ^^
        • May 15, 2011
          There is much more being rendered and processed than just the visleaves. It might not even be .Vvis that's taking so long, and it could be .Vrad (The lighting) that is slowing it down.

Hammer is an incredibly outdated program, and on top of that, each Hammer has its own unique personality and yours may be acting up because of one little thing it feels like being nit picky about, making longer render compile times than most others.
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Congrats, you just made your whole map being rendered at once, which is a no-go. If you func_detailed everything, VVIS has nothing to calculate but 1 area in which everything is being rendered. You can't do this at all and you are not asked butin this case required to make only the most important brushes (to block visibility) as world brushes (you can do this by cliking onto a func_detail and then press Ctrl+Shift+H).

In any case, try increasing the lightmaps on your funcs and brushes (This can be done in the texture browser by selecting the textures and then increase the lightmaps). This will smooth out shadows but drastically lower BSP filesize and also increase FPS a lot. Will anyone see the shadow difference? Not at all :smile:

However, it seems like you're just doing something wrong aside from func_details and visibility. My entire map takes like 5 minutes to compile and it's gicantic. I think Predator took like 8mins to compile? Which is futile in regards of the size of the map.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Or you can send us the vmf (and maybe a packed bsp with no vvis/vrad which should only take approximately 60 seconds to compile) and we'll be glad to look at it and tell you what you're doing wrong. :thumbsup:
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jan 11, 2011
            Years ago I also used to leave Hammer compiling over night for 5-12 hours... This was (obviously) before I understand how the VISleafs work in Source Based games and how Func Detail and World Brushes affect it.

If your map takes longer than 20-30 minutes to compile, you did something wrong. As Joris mentions gigantic maps like Predator, Minas Tirith or SSBB take less than 10 minutes to compile; and the last version of Mako Reactor (wich I optimized myself) took less than 2 minutes; and the VIS itself took 2 seconds.

If your computer "crashes" and/or gets frozen while compiling... That's normal. Usually you shouldn't try to do anything on your computer (just leave it compiling) until is done, at least if you use the default Hammer Compiler. You can download "better" tools that compile as good/fast but don't froze your computer at all during the process.

As Sajak mentions, feel free to share the .VMF so we can take a lookt at it.

If you feel like improving your knowledge about Hammer, VISleafs and why your map is taking ages to compile (after a point, maps won't compile, no matter how many days you leave them compiling) feel free to read this great guide about optimization, I learned a lot from it: http://rvanhoorn.ruhosting.nl/optimization.php?chapter=intro
          • May 14, 2011
          • Jan 11, 2011
            There are third-party compilers. I personaly don't think they are better; but I know many mappers prefer them, and that Hannibal does in fact use them.
            I'm not sure of wich ones are the good ones now (in case some have become obsolete, not a clue), but you can google, for example, "Batch Compiler" and see what I mean.

Its basically a different program that you need to configure and it will then be used only for compiling purpouses. They best thing is that, unlike the Hammer one, they don't freeze the computer at all, allowing to keep using it normally while the map compiles.
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Some of them are glitchy as fuck with certain things I don't want to go into. As old and fucked up as Hammer's compilers are... I can make them work for me and I.. like them. cough
              • Informative Informative x 1