Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Another School Shooting,... Well Sort of...

Discussion in In The News started by Kosuki, Jan 1, 2013

1. Apr 14, 2011
    http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/news/emergency-school-drill-has-students-scared-their-l/nPB8T/
    Emergency school drill has students scared for their lives

What would they had done if a simulated gun man entered the wrong room and a bunch of students got pencils and stabbed him to death... What we charge the students with murder? Only reason I say this is, when I was in high school years ago a few friends of mine and I decided that if a gunman ever did get into the school we would grab the cutting blade from the paper cutter and anything else big and sharp in the room and attack the person if they broke in the room. Were the authorities ready for students to attack them in self defense? Not smart at all...
  2. Mar 26, 2012
    I think they should've been informed. If you practice the drill enough, like once every couple of months, everyone will know their role, who to report to, and where to go to. Our emergency medical services (EMS) agency does simulate mass causality incidents once a year so if the school does it more than once a year, they are more prepared than EMS, lol.

Although they should take it just as serious whether it's a drill or not, things don't always work as intended. I agree that drills are usually taken less seriously, but if you keep trying to trick students into believing the real thing is happening, they find out it isn't real afterward, they aren't probably gonna be as serious when it actually happens. It's the boy who cried wolf.
  3. May 14, 2012
    they shouldve have just told the teachers instead of only the principle knowing. but i do kinda understand that it helps the school prepare for if this actually happend.
  4. Nov 29, 2010
    Lockdown drills are common. When I was in high-school we had a surprise lockdown drill.

It's procedure during these drills the the mock gunmen to not enter the classroom as a safety concern for the students and the actors. Classroom doors are generally resilient and cannot be kicked down easily.

It's not "Hey we're going to randomly raid your school as a drill" The higher-up staff were informed.

I'm all for these drills, if it gets students aware and thinking about what to do when these kind of events actually occur, it's all fine. However my only minor concern was that some teachers were not aware it was a drill. It was effective in terms of testing a teacher's ability to react to the situation, however there needed to be some form of heads up, like "Hey, this month there's going to be a random lockdown drill" or something.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • May 15, 2011
      Ah, the days of youth and thinking, "Oh, how I wish to be a hero~" and then you drift off into dream land or some shit thinking you're invincible.

Shit don't work like that. Kids like to 'think' they can handle situations, but in the end, they, you and I are no different from everyone else. You're going to be shitting your pants scared if something truly happened, if you saw a gun pointed at your head, you ain't gonna feel so tough anymore just cause you have a fucking pencil in your hand. Most likely you wont be able to move, as your mind may be in a state of panic, trying to find methods to escape the danger since as a child, your first instinct is to flee, not fight.

Now, if you managed to actually stab the gunman once, you're dead now. A pencil does not hurt as much as you would think, or maybe my friend had a high pain tolerance, but from experience, they don't work very well. Not to mention the gunman, probably crazy, will be running on adrenaline, and do you know what happens to your body when on adrenaline? That's right, less pain is felt! So do you really think he will feel the imediate effect of your little prick? Most likely not. He'll just look at you, then shoot you, and continue on like nothing happened.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 14, 2011
        Yeah I would just grab a fire extinguisher and flood the room if the gunman walked in (with smoke ofc, not water). Then you have a considerably heavy thing to knock someone out with without even being seen.

Yay for fantasy land as dirtbag says.

I think a drill like this is stupid. What if people attacked the gunman. What if people jumped out of windows.
      • Aug 18, 2006
        I'm all for these exercises as long as the school knows it's a drill. Things could turn interesting if you have students that have military training like I do, thinking it was a "real" shooting.

By all means I think these should continue and more schools should participate. It can save lives.
      • Nov 29, 2012
        That's ridiculous. They shouldn't be doing drills like this, because what if they keep doing drills, and when it really happens he students just think it's another drill, then they will really get messed up and be even more unprepared than before.
      • Apr 9, 2007
        Right, we do have drills where everyone knows what's going on. The drill typically consists of the engineer walking around chaining the doors while you just sit idle. Turn the lights off, lock the door, cover the windows, all of a sudden it's a party. I doubt this would actually occur during a real event, but I can't say for certain. We definitely don't have anything remotely close to what transpired at that school.
      • Jun 11, 2012
        It's either scare the bejesus out the kid to the point they become resilient enough to know what's going and how to react or put a armed person in front of each classroom Rambo style. By nature kids aren't built for the shock factor as much as the small percentage of people that can react to a situation as fast. So it would seem effective to teach kids to react to this situation, but in the same time you might either scared them or robbed them of their innocent.

That was a wild tangent but it seemed plausible in a way.
      • Apr 14, 2011
        Im not talking about stabbing the guy in the arm but deep in his/her neck. Also a good fire extinguisher fo the face hurts as they are coming in the door...
      • May 31, 2012
        Too soon after recent incidents without giving advance warning; I believe they should have at least told the staff. Teachers and students fearing for their lives, they might have done something real stupid and some people could have been seriously injured.
      • Mar 4, 2012
        Better to fight and die then cower in a corner and die.
      • Feb 21, 2007
        If you stab them in the eye, that would probably hurt, not to mention, it would affect his 3D/depth perception.