Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Anybody have any experience with...

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Ray, Mar 29, 2012

1. Aug 18, 2006
    Does anybody have any experience with working in a factory? I am thinking about submitting a job application to Caterpillar, which has a starting pay of ~$12-14/hour, but most of the jobs available they are hiring for are factory-related, and I don't really know what to expect as far as stress, working conditions, various dangers, etc. Was hoping someone could fill me in with some of their experiences before I make a decision. (I have no idea what to expect.. At all).

Thanks.
  2. Jun 4, 2006
    • Jan 8, 2012
      I can say that almost any factory job will be extremely repetitive, dangerous in its own ways ( but what job doesn't have dangers ), and probably long, hard hours. I had a grandmother that worked at some sewing factory, she worked there for like 50 years, now suffers from possible deafness, she has acute carpal tunnel in both wrists. But thats after 50 something years... Definitely something to start out on and to gather some money, but not something I'd recommend doing all your life. Factory jobs usually pay a higher amount because you are going to be working those long days, and those 12 hour shifts, if the moneys good, you will probably have to work for it. Rarely factory jobs come with high pay and easy work.

Good luck.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Aug 18, 2006
        Ah. Yeah, I can see it as being very repetitive, even more so than most other jobs. As far as shifts and hours, Caterpillar has a standard 8 hour shift rotation, so I don't think that's a problem... Hard work isn't a problem either, as I'll do whatever it takes to get the job done well. I like working on my feet (although I've never worked in an office or anything similar before, I'm not sure if it's for me...). I can't be picky though I suppose.

Thanks.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jan 22, 2012
          yeah ive worked in a couple different factory's and the thing they all had in common was the hours and constantly pushing for production. and sum are dangerous i just got my fingers stuck in a conveyor belt the other day and it happened so fast i was just lucky an emergency stop was within arms length. when we get to the busy season it seems like i used to live there it was horrible... 6 12 hour days... but when i got that check i was happy cuz that overtime really adds up
          • Sep 6, 2010
            I worked many different factories too. Most of them would require you to work long hours sometimes overtime (make sure they pay for overtime). It is usually repetitive hard work, on your feet. Most of the time you get your first factory job through an agency but later on if they like you they can hire you directly or you can search for other factories yourself and apply directly. The amount of stress you get depends from what type of job you are doing. If its on a conveyor they most likely it will be stressful as you have to do it really fast to keep up, but maybe less boring. The environment also differs but quite often they have a strong smell of rubber or paint which is surely harmful for health. I only work at those places for a short period of time.
            • Aug 18, 2006
              I speculated as much. I might submit an application soon - they have a lot of different positions to fill - hopefully I can find a good one (maybe even one in IT).

Thanks for all the responses.
            • Mar 12, 2008
              Blood, sweat, and tears. But its gotten better since then. Still expect that. Many luck.