Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Anyone have a dash cam?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by EM|Ginger Gone Wild, Jul 24, 2013

1. Feb 19, 2011
    Hello Peeps. Just a random question if anyone carries a dash cam in their car or have one on their helmet when they ride their bike and/or motorcycle?

I personally carry one in my car to protect myself against fraud. Fraud cases are up A LOT and so in case if I am ever in an accident and it is a he said/she said type of thing, I can whip out my camera to prove what happened. A case like this happened to my grandmother back in 2000 when someone ran a stop sign and hit her. He said she hit him, but it could not be proven, so I carry one to protect myself.

I happened to catch a lot of my bad drivers with my camera. I have a video below that shows my camera capturing an accident. The actual hit is off camera (some deep scratches) but it captures what happened before hand. This was very useful for the police and insurance companies. I recommend who ride or drive to get one to protect themselves. My dash cam is better quality, but YouTube changes the quality of it.

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5R0gVQn86w
  2. May 31, 2012
    I have been wanting to buy one for my motorcycle or helmet; which do you use and recommend? How exactly do they work? Does it just record any time you drive or do you have to press a button to trigger it, etc.?

Yeah if someone hits me and kills me, I'll take 'em down with me too lol. If the accident is my fault, I hope everyone has a spectacular show :dontknow:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Feb 8, 2013
      Wait... so what happened? Is the red car pickup related?
    • Oct 18, 2012
      Yeah.. I'm kinda confused on what happened to.
    • May 31, 2012

Looks like left blinkers were on when he was inching towards the right side. Also, did not run a red a right light but may have been panicking due to the yellow light; was not speeding. Probably just a clueless driver not paying attention.
    • Nov 11, 2011
      I am planning on purchasing one. I have seen enough Russian dashcam footage to know it is worth getting it. Although fraud is prevalent all over Russia since insurance companies over there blame drivers who hit from the back and sides. :/
    • Feb 1, 2011
      I would love to have one of these things, there's tons of funny / interesting shit I see when driving that I wish I got on tape. I always wondered though, where do all the movies get stored? Is there some massive hard drive hooked to the thing or what? And I imagine it gets filled up - do you just have to delete any inconsequential footage every few days to keep room for more recordings?
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I just want to record the stupid shit I do to remind myself not to drive. xD
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Nov 17, 2012
          AHMMGGG... U GUYZ DRIVE ON DA WRONG SIDE OF THE WRODE, IT HURTZ MY EYES.
          • Funny Funny x 2
          • Apr 1, 2012
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Apr 9, 2007
              • Zing! x 2
              • Like x 1
              • Agree x 1
              • Wizard! x 1
              • Mar 4, 2012
              • Mar 26, 2012
                I considered buying one and looked online at different companies, but it seems like a lot of dashcam companies are scams, lol. I was too afraid to buy one.

At my previous job, we had it in all vehicles.
              • Jun 23, 2010
                I think Dash cam are great. I see dash cam video on youtube daily (From a sub on reddit) and it does help a lot of people, and prevent fraud. I'm planning to buy a helmet camera sometime soon, cause you never know if some asshole is trying to hit you or whatever. Just a good safety measurement.

http://www.amazon.com/DashBoard-Camera-Vehicle-Accident-Recorder/dp/B0067XVNTG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374683613&sr=8-2&keywords=dash cam

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/3248689011/ref=sr_bs_1

You can't go wrong with Amazon. :thumbsup:
              • Feb 19, 2011
                A motorcycle helmet camera is a completely different camera then what I have and a lot more expensive, same features on how to work it, but mounting it is a lot different and a lot of different updates to it that you can download. I will answer the recording questions and how it works to Dillinger's question. A camera that you may want can be found here. http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDNH-0...=UTF8&qid=1374690931&sr=8-2&keywords=GoPro HD

To answer both of your questions. As I was approaching the light, it turned yellow. The red truck had his blinker on and went through the yellow light. He wanted to turn into the parking lot, but the light turned yellow and he didn't feel like waiting so he changed his mind and decided to jerk left and park on the shoulder of the road. As you can see, I slew down extra to let him in the parking lot, but he didn't feel like waiting. What is hard to see is the car behind him. It was a Pontiac G6. When the guy turned his blinker on, the Pontiac went on the shoulder to pass him (which you are allowed to do). When the the guy in the red truck changed his mind and turned to the shoulder, the Pontiac was there and the Pontiac and the red truck collided. IF you pause at 00:12, look behind the red truck and you will see a car trying to go around the red truck.

The video is stored in a micro SD card. I have a 32G one. The way I set up my camera is that when I start my car, my camera will auto turn on and it will automatically start to record. When I turn off my car, the camera shuts off. I do not record when I am out of the car because the battery life sucks on it and my car doesn't allow the cigarette lighter to work when the car is off. The battery life sucks on this camera so I have to keep it plugged in all the time. I have a power outlet in my car too, so it helps me if I need to plug in my phone. When the SD card gets full, it will automatically erase the oldest video and the 2nd oldest and so on. It can do this for two-three weeks. After about that time, the camera will just stop deleting it and you will have to take it out and erase it yourself. Two week ago, I drove down to Florida and back with my family and did not have to erase it once. It did it all for me. You also take pictures with the camera too. It is like the camera on the Iphone where you just need to change the camera settings. You can also do replays with the camera. My camera also records speed, but for some reason in my area, it can't do my speed for some reason. When I was trying on I-95 in Maryland, D.C.,Virginia, north Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, the speedometer worked on it. This is the camera I have: http://www.amazon.com/GS5000-Rotati...8&qid=1374692245&sr=8-5&keywords=agptek g5000

YouTube changes the quality of videos, when I put my SD card into my computer to play videos, it looks like HD quality.
              • Feb 8, 2013
                I just don't understand how people can have accidents at like 30 mph... Especially in this situation. I sort of understand that the red pickup probably wanted to make a right turn? Then the car behind him, the Pontiac, thought he was going to actually make the right turn, so he decided not to slow down because it was a yellow light, convincing him he'd make it across before it hits red, therefore, colliding into the red pickup truck?
              • Jun 23, 2010
                Skiptron, Jul 24, 2013 Last edited by Skiptron, Jul 24, 2013
              • Feb 11, 2012
                The guy in the red truck clearly went full retard. It makes a lot more sense trying to figure out what happened after you explained it. When i first watched the video this morning, I didn't even see the Pontiac, but after you mention it, its easy to figure out what happened off camera.
                And as you said you slowed down well enough to let him go but...herp a derp lets hit a car instead xD
                • Like Like x 1
                • Feb 19, 2011
                  When the light turned yellow, he didn't think I was going to slow down for him. The Pontiac behind him, which he didn't see, went through the yellow too. The Pontiac wanted to go around the red truck because the red truck had his blinker on. So instead, he turned to the shoulder to park and didn't not look to see if he was clear and they collided. Just stupid not paying attention.