Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Anyone know where I can find a good long range wfif antenna?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Arsis, Mar 5, 2012

1. Feb 12, 2012
    I don't have Internet in my house anymore, but down the street from where i live there is Wifi. One problem is my laptop cant reach that far. The distance is about 100-150ft. Can anyone please tell me a good long range antenna?
  2. Jan 12, 2011

Also, are you sure just riding off of someone else's wifi is legal?
  3. Mar 26, 2011
    I think its illegal to still someones internet. ><
  4. Feb 12, 2012
    Its spelled wifi up there isnt it? Also its my aunts wifi that im trying to get to.
  5. Feb 12, 2012
  6. Feb 12, 2012
    I did google before asking here Duh! I just thought you guys would know something better.
  7. Jan 10, 2009
    nope that is going to be the best thing for you. sorry m8

go out and eat a whole can of pringles. then slap an antenna in there. BOOM
  8. Jan 12, 2011
    In the title it isn't, ergo why I tease. Muahaha!

Even if it's your aunt's and you're allowed, I'd still wonder about any contractual technicalities. It's great to have fun, but stepping on the wrong toes isn't fun.
    And just so I'm not derailing the thread, couldn't you convert a router into a signal booster, or whatever name goes with that function? Like a relay?
  9. Jan 10, 2009
    only if it can "see" the signal to begin with. with a cantenna he could focus the signal to potentially get a better signal [or any signal at all] depending on how far or how strong the signal is to begin with.

you would be looking for the word "repeater". :wink: lol
  10. Jan 12, 2011
    Fair point. What I meant to ask if something could be set up on his aunt's end to increase the signal strength via an extra router with that explicit purpose. That way the antenna output could be maxed and directed his way. I edited my post up there with "relay," but I suppose that doesn't make sense, unless he could ask a neighbor to plant something amongst the flowers. :razz:
  11. Feb 12, 2012
  12. Jan 10, 2009
    well if he has a line of sight from his aunts he could aim 2 cantennas [one at his house and one at his aunts house] and that would actually work. again based on distance. :smile:

or if you have neighbors that don't mind. plant a repeater in their yard and build a weatherproof housing for it.
  13. Feb 12, 2012
    o=Aunts m=me -=houses in between
    -o-------------------m thats about 150ft difference

my neighbors are d bags they wont let me.

Edit: why would i need a cantenna? wouldnt one just be needed
  14. Jan 10, 2009
    yeah you could just use one. but how could you pass up two?
  15. Dec 7, 2010
    makes me lol

[IMG]