Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Are .ogg sound files any use to Mappers?

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by McKay, Jun 6, 2012

1. Feb 20, 2011
    Hi guys/gals of the mapping community, I recently extracted every single audio file from Mass Effect 3 and now have a folder with around 42,000 .ogg files of every single sound file in the game, would these be of any use to anyone? Literally 10,000's Ambient noise files, spoken dialogue, computer bleep bloops etc, weapon fire. Everything.

Let me know if you'd like to check them out. However it'll be a pain as the whole folder is 1.16GB.

Untitled Untitled2
  2. Feb 24, 2011
    You'd need to convert them to either .WAV or .MP3 before being able to use them in CSS
    I'd highly recommend .MP3 (44100 frequency)
  3. Feb 20, 2011
    Hmm.. should probably rename this to "Are any of the Mass Effect 3 Sounds any use to mappers here?" Cause I have ALL of them :grin:
  4. May 14, 2011
    Actually 22050Hz w/32-bit float works and cuts the file size by about hal. :smile: its what I use for all my music. Such a pain it was to find settings that source sdk likes lol.

If anyone is interested: 44100 is 1mb/min, 22050 is <400kb/min
    Ghost, Jun 6, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Jun 6, 2012
  5. May 15, 2011
    Of course. The more sound effects to work with, the better. Not that the voice files will be of much use, at least not for me. But if you can convert all those .ogg's to .wav or .mp3, they will work then. Or whatever Ghost is talking about. Sound isn't my department, but you can never have enough sounds/textures/models/anything when mapping. We crave this shit like a drug.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 20, 2011
      What would be the best way to convert them to they'll be friendly with Hammer?
    • Aug 1, 2011
      Just look it up.
    • Feb 20, 2011
    • May 14, 2011
    • Feb 20, 2011
      I'm going to work through them and begin eliminating the dialogue sounds.
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Jul 28, 2011
        Out of 10K sounds, you are gonna go and weed out the useless ones? I applaud your effort, sir!
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • Feb 20, 2011

Luckily most of the audio ones tend to be in banks with similar file names so I don't have to be too thorough, I sample banks like that at the start, middle and end. Sadly among the banks they don't have a naming convention that makes sense, there can be a bank of 300 sounds called Wwise_cdk_streaming_01 and in that bank it'll be a mixture of level music, among with ambient sounds. basically they seem to lump all the sounds used in each level together instead of audio type.
        • Feb 20, 2011
          Quick question, Ive been removing the conversation audio, however I've just come to the bank of audio from the Multi-player narrator, these sound like they could be used in a level. I'll include if you want? Basically it's some admiral on the radio telling you things like

"Secure the area"
          "Prep for dust-off"
          "We're dropping you into a Hot-Zone"
          "Stay Alert, enemy is re-grouping"
          "Get to the extraction zone!"
        • Aug 1, 2011
          Really? Excuse my lack of knowledge then :razz:
          Sorry!
        • May 15, 2011
          If it's not to much trouble, keep them. They may be useful for ZE mappers. It does come in handy to have announcer sounds for things like ZE.
        • Feb 20, 2011
          Well this has been fun, here is the finished result, nearly 3,000 Ambient sounds, sound effects and music tracks.

Untitled

And now the 2nd step.

Capture
          • Like Like x 1
            McKay, Jun 6, 2012 Last edited by McKay, Jun 6, 2012
          • Feb 20, 2011
            Ok I'm uploading the files to my Skydrive now, as the total folder is 1GB It'll probably take a while, will leave uploading overnight and report back tomorrow with the link.

Cheerio Mappers.
            • Winner Winner x 4
            • May 14, 2011
              • Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Nov 11, 2011
                Great work buddy. I see you are being a proactive part of the community which is always appreciated. :angel:
              • May 15, 2011
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Wizard! Wizard! x 1