Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Are We Socially Obligated to Have a Facebook?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by ::1/128, Mar 20, 2012

1. Oct 27, 2010
    I'm just curious to know what other people think about this.

I had a Facebook account a few years ago. I deleted because a friend of mine kept taking picture of heroin addicts, pigs, and people in the midst of domestic abuse and tagging me in those photographs. Rather than deal with this on a daily basis/hourly basis and the fact that I had a lack of interest in the website I chose to simply delete my account (I have several sociological reason why I don't care for the website, but those are most often moot). I use my cellphone to talk to the people whom I'm close to and as far as I can tell I haven't ruined any relationship by doing this.

However, I have noticed that when I meet people at a bar or ect. they seem off put by the fact that I don't have a Facebook account; almost as though I lying to them. This is why I ask this question. Are we expected to have a Facebook account in modern society? I personally don't believe so but I would very much like to know other people opinions on the matter.

tl;dr The title.
  2. Jul 14, 2010
    I dont think it is expected but rather very common, I'd wager 90% of pF has a facebook.
  3. Oct 29, 2010

But seriously, my work-related events and updates are on facebook, so. . .I have no choice D:
  4. Jul 1, 2010
    I technically have one.. but I only go on it once in a long while to look at photos of family (mostly just my 2 year old nephew)... Used to go on it a lot more frequently
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    This seem very strange to me and is one of the main reasons why I ask this. A roommate of mine lost out a major job opportunity because of his Facebook account (pictures at parties ect.). You say that your company relies on Facebook as a primary means of communications. Is a person have a deficit for not having an account with this site?
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    Now you did it. Now you get to listen to this.... something I'd really love to share. A little over a year ago I moved to a whole different area, with many different types of people. I, at the time, did not have a Facebook. I saw no use for it. Everything was this (literally):
    [IMG]

Yes, I know people use it to catch up, and for adults to talk with high school friends, but people abuse it to the point of where it's their occupation. When I arrived at my new school I made a lot of a friends, and talked with pretty much everybody. The funny thing that happened next, was that people started to expect me to have a Facebook. They started doing the "you don't even have me added on Facebook, and you want to hangout...?". I thought it was complete bullshit. The answer to your question? Yes. If you don't have a Facebook now, you should pretty much consider yourself a hermit with no friends apparently.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Aug 1, 2011
      I think its more socially accepted to have a Facebook. People expect you to have one because society sees it fit. If you don't have one, people will find it weird. Now, its not wrong to have one. I don't like mines but a lot of my friends either do not have phones or just don't text so I use Facebook to keep in touch. Plus, I have family in other countries and its nice to see what everyone is up to now and then. But is Facebook needed? Not really...
    • Jan 8, 2012
      I keep track of all my air force buddies and friends from high school.
    • Oct 27, 2010
      This has been my experience as of late. I have gotten plenty of phone numbers but upon me saying "actually I don't have a Facebook." the relationships seem to fizzle out. I don't really feel much of a loss when this occurs; I assume those weren't worthwhile en devours to begin with. I wonder if this is not the appropriate attitude to adopt however; Am I missing out?
    • Oct 29, 2010
      Obligated, perhaps not, but most certainly expected.
    • Sep 30, 2011
      I would say yes. Some employers are even starting to check your Facebook after an Interview.
    • May 15, 2011
      It's not really necessary to have Facebook. If people avoid you simply because you don't have Facebook I think they might have gone off the deep end. It's a fucking application, not your life. I get more done with my phone and fucking Steam than I do Facebook. I only use it keep in touch with old friends.

But I guess we're the minority. People have gotten so use to the damn thing everyone thinks you're a retard if you don't have it or you live under a rock.

As for getting tagged and shit, you can block that I think.
    • Oct 20, 2011
      I have a facebook but there is literally almost nothing on it and I barely ever go on it. I might as well not even have it and it wouldn't surprise me if i find myself deleting it at some point in the future. I personally don't ever expect anyone I know or will know to have a facebook and I never ask for it, mostly because I just dont care about it.
    • Oct 27, 2010
      Perhaps I chose the wrong wording. We are not necessarily "obligated" to tip at a restaurant or bring a gift to a child's party but it is most certainly expected. What I mean to ask is: Has Facebook become such a major part of day to day life that to not have it makes that individual a social outcast? Or if it's not at that point yet, is it heading there?
    • Apr 2, 2011
      It is there already. I have one and I use it to chat with Military buddies and stuff. I also post some pictures... some statuses... but I really don't care about it other than talking to people. But should I go and delete it... Yea I would be an outcast (more than I am).
    • Nov 29, 2010
      Having facebook is considered a "social norm" since a significant chunk the world population has a fb account.

It's an advantage and a disadvantage at the same time.

As an advantage, you can easily connect with friends and family

But as a disadvantage, employers have access to your information, so if they're hiring, with a few clicks they can check if you have any dirt on you. Post something wrong and you could lose your job

*****Facebook stalkers*****
    • Jul 23, 2010
      I don't trust anyone without it, honestly.
    • Aug 1, 2011
    • Oct 27, 2010
      I understand this perspective and I imagine that a large number of people share it. I can't say that a personally agree with it. I'm sure Facebook just as readily portrays falsehoods as it does realities. But that's really neither here nor there; I, and any others who share this opinion, have no effective mechanism for expressing these doubts, never-mind convincing others of such a conviction. In reality I am a kind, honest, genuine individual; Can factors like this no longer be expressed outside of Facebook, or rather, with out the evidence of Facebook?
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Turn private on and nobody can look at your profile if you're not friends =P

And this is the problem today. If your not "friend's on Facebook", you can't be friends in real life. That's pretty much how people look at it, which is fucking stupid.
      • Agree Agree x 2