Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Artificial Geometry

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by MszImmy, Apr 7, 2013

1. Jul 8, 2012
    So, as stated, I have issues with some artificial geometry... Every time I fix my geometry, close hammer for the day and re-open it in the morning, I'm having this issue. The geometry moves on it's own.
    [IMG]
    Is there some sort of work around for this? I'm not just running into this with that arch, but everywhere in my map, I'm kind of really pissed off by this. I've never had this issue before mapping for HL2 so I'm clueless as to why this is happening now and only with CS:S mapping.
  2. Jun 18, 2012
    I'm no mapper, and I might be totally of, but some tutorials always warn you when using tools making curved objects (spheres, arches, etc.), that you should always pay attention to make all the corners of the objects snap to the grid using the vortex tool.

I once made a nice sphere and the same thing kept happening upon opening it and it got all squary.
  3. Nov 11, 2011
  4. Jul 8, 2012
    It's not just curved objects, it's also simple square objects that I had to use the vertices and slant slightly, they get thrown out of place as well.

If I do reize them and I've messed with the vertices, I do it with the vertices, not scaling it normally so they all snap to the little grid correctly.
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    Can you take a picture of how your hammer looks like (screenshot the four grids and all the buttons) with a problematic block selected (like the one in the picture)?
  6. Feb 24, 2011
    This is caused by having invalid brush vertexes. Make sure that you don't twist the vertexes around too much

brush

Here's an example of one way it could mess up. Never invert the vertexes inwards like at the red-lined area.

*It could also be caused my messing around too much with rotating/cutting brushes, never trust hammer when doing this.
    • Mapping King Mapping King x 1
    • May 14, 2011
      Adding on to what luffaren said, when using the vertex tool never skew brushes.

Hammer hates vertex manipulation. If something looks complicated chances are it will not work.

n.b. You have to save and then re-load to the vertices to mess up.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      A crude example of what I'm doing with blocks and manipulating vertices is this. Where the top is what it was set to first, and the bottom being what hammer does to it upon reloading the map. I'm not inverting any faces and they're all snapped on the invisible grid you use when editing vertices.
      [IMG]
    • May 14, 2011
      Your example with the arch is purely because you messed up with the vertex tool. Try the same arch with the clipping tool and do it with only one cut per brush.

I don't know if you used the a arch brush for this or made it yourself.
    • May 15, 2011
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Jul 8, 2012
        Those are two brushes @Dirtbag not one and how did I mess up with the vertex tool?
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • May 14, 2011

Imagine you have a side of brush. Typically you have 4 vertices on that one side. Now imagine drawing lines connecting up every single on of those vertices If every single one of those lines doesn't run across a physical side of the brush you've done a bu bu.
        • May 15, 2011

Also if you haven't already, read this.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I can do everything I want without vertex manipulation. Learn the clip tool... and save yourself hundreds of hours of crying and pulling your hair out.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • May 14, 2011

This is why shit ain't working. Someone take over and teach zimmy propper or something else.
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Jun 11, 2012
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Jul 4, 2011
                Cut the brushes using the clipping tool into triangles and re-align them. If you reach the brush limit, use propper.
              • May 14, 2011
                The clipping tool isnt the issue, the issue is the brush is too complex. Look at the screeny I put up. At this point you need to weld feature of propper.
              • Jul 4, 2011
                If you were to compile invalid brush work with propper, the model would look like the brush as if you restarted hammer (off grid as in the picture).
              • May 14, 2011
                Are you sure the weld feature wouldn't kick in. I'm almost sure it would. Any vertices <# units away from another are merged.