Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

AT&T

Discussion in Technical Support started by s3th, Mar 21, 2012

1. Jan 8, 2012
    I just recently noticed my DSL was extremely laggy and I am pretty sick of it... I ping low but videos take forever to load even at lower qualities. So as I am searching the internet I notice U-Verse which is the same as DSL but they use fiber optic cables instead and its a lot faster. When did they plan on telling me? How long has this been around because I have never noticed, and from the looks of it, the modems wireless, how does a fiber optic cable have anything to do with a wireless modem? I have DSL Extreme the fastest dsl they offer which is only up to 6 mbps dload speed, but the fastest U-verse plan is up to 24 mbps??? Wtf... I guess I will be making the switch hoping its better...
  2. Sep 30, 2011
    Just sayin'.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jan 8, 2012
      It's the only service I have available, for now... Until I move off base, living on base here at moody, we only have ATT as an option.:thinking: Though I have never had a problem with them before... My videos just load so slow now-a-days.
    • Apr 9, 2007
      I have clients who use ATT DSL, and Uverse. Both suck both have high latency from time to time and some all the time unless they are really close to the CO or live in a new housing development. You winning bet is going to be to go with cable internet service and that is the bottom line. If price is an issue you can negotiate better pricing, even if it is not advertised. I was able to get Comcast double play, Any room DVR, extra HD box, Cable Card, all HD channels, and 50MB download service for 149.99 a month. Regular price is over 220 a month. I locked in two years negotiating.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Dec 30, 2006
        Stay away from ATT. If you can't then be prepared for bandwidth caps with overage charges.

Uverse is a form of VDSL which is FTTN (fiber to the node then copper to your house). When compared to verizon's fios, that's FTTH (fiber straight to your house). You might be asking how you can find out if your house is serviced by VDSL or ADSL2, just input your address into ATT's service check and if you see that you can get TV then you'll be serviced by VDSL, if not then ADSL2. I don't know why they renamed their dry dsl to uverse too.

Since we're all gaming freaks, Uverse does have increased latency at about 5-10ms at the initial hop due to the profile set to interleave rather than fast path. Some people experience the increased latency and some don't. But I heard they changed the protocol the service is delivered so the latency isn't that big of an increase anymore. I haven't had att for a good few years already so I'm basing my information from back then and whatever I can pick up via the techy news.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jul 1, 2010
          My ATT service has been absolutely phenomenal and we have them for everything. My U-Verse never slows down and is always quick, I always get excellent customer service (had to call today because their billing system was down). U-Verse also has no cap though (verified). Even with multiple TVs using bandwidth I never lag or have very high latency. Their cell service is hands down the best in the area (east/midwest), even better than Verizon.

If I have it my way I'll never use anyone else and would recommend it.

Ultimately, I think it depends on where you are.

As for their DSL service, I have no idea.. we didn't have it very long and I know since then they have put a cap on it. When we did it was okay.
        • Dec 30, 2006
          I agree with Dharkk, when I had att everything was great and dandy. It does depend on the area. But once they announced the capping scheme, I left in a heartbeat for Bright House which offered better deals and better internet.

I would give it a try if you can and see how it works out for you. As of right now, Uverse has no caps as they have not developed a way to separate IPTV streams with regular data through the awesome 2wire gateway they supply. ADSL is another story, it's been spotty all around the country so I wouldn't know until you go over the cap 3 times and receive warning letters for each time.
        • Jul 1, 2010
          Yeah, definitely wouldn't use their ADSL.. there was also such an uproar about the possibility of a U-Verse cap that I'm not really foreseeing one.
        • Jan 8, 2012
          Yea I have never had a problem with them until last year, for some reason I started getting jumps in latency 30's to 150's every so often and its really annoying. I used to be able to watch the occasional 720p video but now it just creeps and takes way to long. I feel that something changed, Idk.

Thanks for the help though.
        • Apr 9, 2007
          Well, the apparent issue here is the single guy who setup the capping system left the company.... So now with anything using ADSL2+ or VDSL doesn't publically track usage (Otherwise they don't technically have TV).
        • Apr 14, 2011
          Cant stand AT&T they jump in to my cell phone signal and lock it up all the time and I dont have AT&T cell phone, also for a better internet look at Charter, or look at Verizon if you are able to get it, Verizon is FIOS internet.