Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Audiophile Gaming Headsets

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by sajak, Jun 6, 2014

1. Nov 11, 2011
    Most of you probably know that asides from games, I'm an audiophile as well. I was looking to invest some money towards an audiophile-grade headset. This simply means a great set of cans with a great mic. Sure, I could buy a separate mic to go along with my reference Beyerdynamic DT990Pro's or my bass head Sony XB-500's but I'd rather get a complete package.

I have THESE Beyerdynamic MMX 300's in my targets and THESE Sennheiser 350(closed) / 360(open). I can vouch for Beyerdynamics quality German construction but have got iffy reviews about the 350/360's. The mic on the MMX 300 is cockpit tested but the 350/360 have varying results. Someone I spoke to from this community has them and their voice sounds fantastic, but reviews seem to be a hit or miss.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Notes: Budget is less than a thousand. No wireless. No USB-only connections. No stand-alone mics or mods (e.g., modmic, zalman, etc).
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    You can go the desktop route or you can go the laptop route.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Nov 11, 2011
      [IMG]
    • Jun 11, 2012
      A year later with athm50 and still in honeymoon period.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Apr 9, 2007
      • Jun 11, 2012
        Amazon.ca. Was a really great deal with free 2 days shipping which means 1 day since warehouse is in Mississauga. There's a discount right now at Amazon.ca
        http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000ULAP4U
        • Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
          Benderius, Jun 6, 2014 Last edited by Benderius, Jun 6, 2014
        • Nov 11, 2011
          I prefer to be able to replace or wash the ear muffs and headband if necessary. Don't think the m50/m50x have that? The BD MMX300 I have my eye on do and that's a big plus.

EDIT: And the velour pads are so comfortable. Once you go velour, you never go back.
        • Jul 8, 2012

But really I love my ath m50x.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
          • Like Like x 1
          • Mar 30, 2012
            >Headset
            >HEADSET
            [IMG]
          • Aug 2, 2010
            Audiophile gaming headset is an oxymoron. For gaming, you want sound tweaked for the higher freqs. Of course this gives you shit mids and lows. I can hear footsteps and other shit on my gaming headphones way better than my music cans yo.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Nov 11, 2011
              Your response is bloody pathetic since none of the things I asked for apply. I spend thousands of dollars on headphones and I can easily spend hundreds on a headset. Learn the technology before posting the same fucking ignorant poster in every audio thread. If you looked at the schematics for the MMX 300's, it's an improved DT770P with a cockpit tested cardioid condenser mic and not a dyn. Keep your dumb ass responses out of this thread. This is a professional studio recording mic with a proven set of reference cans with a slightly modded audio signature. Learn your shit little twat.

Definitely not an oxymoron. Test around more and breaking them in is a given. I'm going to order a few variants or maybe hit up some studios to test them out first. You're right about the higher frequencies but with some equalizing I may be able to get a better response.
              sajak, Jun 8, 2014 Last edited by sajak, Jun 8, 2014
            • Mar 30, 2012
              The tears and butt hurt in this thread right now are what keep me waking up in the morning.
              Thanks.
              [IMG]
            • Jul 8, 2012
              This ain't no count. Go fucking troll somewhere else.
              • Agree Agree x 3
              • Nov 11, 2011
                So I got these bad boys in today. So far these are my observations with music. I have yet to test them out in gaming.

Pros:
                + Very clean audio signature. Nice mid and highs, not too many lows which can be a positive or negative. A bit of equalizing and I was able to get a comfortable response.
                + Comfortable, over-the-ear velour cushions.
                + Fits on larger heads and the clamping force is pretty good.
                + Decent sized cable.
                + Five year parts and labour warranty.

Cons:
                - Bit pricey at $400.
                - The cable isn't braided so I don't know how long the shielding will last on this.

Unknown:
                - Mic quality. According to @Tony the Tiger!! :D , it was pretty good in Mumble. Not sure, can you elaborate a bit more?

I'll play around with it for another week and let the headset break-in and then see how it ultimately performs. I'm content with this headset so far. :giggle:
              • Feb 1, 2011
                What bad boys are they? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see what you got :O
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • Feb 27, 2012
                  He got the Beyerdynamic MMX 300. Silly guy forgot to say with ones he got! :cowboy:
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • Nov 11, 2011
                    I am SO sorry. Totally forgot to mention that. Must be the extreme heat getting to my head. :sweat:As Tony said, the BeyerDynamic MMX 300's.

Post Merged, Jun 13, 2014
                    @dillinger - I know you had the AKG K701/702's and those have a 3 meter cable. How do you manage to not run over them with your chair? And do you have some kind of stand to put them on or do you just put them on your desk? lol
                    Post Merged, Jun 13, 2014
                    Here is a front and side view of the headset. I like how slick they look to be honest. The carbon pattern and everything else.

• Feb 1, 2011
                    I have destroyed the cable twice and have had to replace it, luckily replacement cables aren't very expensive - 15 bux I think. I don't have a very good system for not running over them and still do occasionally, but now I have my chair on carpet so it doesn't destroy the cable like it did when I had the chair on hardwood floor.

Headset looks fuckin sweet! I still use a little desktop mic lol
                    [IMG]
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Nov 11, 2011
                      Dang, twice!? I'm trying to avoid that completely, haha. I wanted a complete headset package, didn't like a separate desktop mic because I like to move around a little and still be able to talk. But your voice always sounds good so I don't know. :cute: Btw, we should both get those cable organizers now lol:

[IMG]
                      • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
                      • Aug 2, 2010
                        Running this off what which sound card? How do you like it so far? Looking to replace my Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset.