Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Suggestion Auto Name Kick

Discussion in Server Suggestions & Bugs started by eDiT., Jul 7, 2014

1. Apr 26, 2014
    This thread is for any of the network / server engineers.

So this has crossed my mind multiple of times. Is there any way to script the server to recognized any inappropriate names?

In this article towards the bottom, it mentions kicking players by name. Could we generate a big list of names that the server would automatically pick up on and kick the player for his name, then if returned set a policy of 4 or 5 re-enters with the same name to set a ban for 1 hour?

I dont know much on how the css servers work with scripts and etc. Just tossing an idea in the air
  2. Feb 21, 2007
    Yes, I know at one point a long time ago, we did have auto-name kick script onboard. I assume it caused issues with something else and was later removed.
  3. May 31, 2012
    There is always a way if someone is willing to make the commitment; however, I do not support this idea.

At first, it appears to be an excellent idea with good intentions. Later, as the system is running, you'll find that players will use work-arounds. We'll just pretend for the purpose of the example, that "Joshy" is a bad word, and this word is an auto-kick trigger. I join with "Joshy" and I am automatically kicked; then, I just rejoin with "Joshie" instead. Lets pretend management is really clever and they can predict that people might work around that, so they make "Joshie" an auto-kick word too. Then an innocent player with "Joshie" joins and gets kicked.. then you have to make rules work for certain situations, certain names, add words, remove words, words in context, etc.

I think in the end, a lot of effort would be put into a lot of nothing getting done.

... good intentions, but I just think the idea isn't as great as it might sound. I think this might also make the server more strict than it needs to be, which is something I think all of you might know I am firmly against.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jun 10, 2011

The only real illegal names are racist ones and I thought we already had an auto kick/ban plugin for the most obvious ones? Unless i'm thinking of the one Rets says was removed.

It's pretty easy to spot if someone is using symbols/rephrasing to work around racism. Plus there was once someone who had "negro" in their name and when translated it was just "black dragon" or something in Spanish. Just kicking/banning automatically doesn't allow for context.

I find it rare that someone with a racist name joins anyway so it's not much hassle to deal with on a case by case basis.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that from an admin perspective it might be more effort by those that code the server than it's really worth in practice.
    • Apr 26, 2014
      I understand the complications of using ált letters but reviewing the ban log of inappropriate names you can see all these people actually type the word out regular. Yes using alt letters will allow you to avoid the script but it would give a nice warning to players who have it spelt out for the server to recognize. Then if they enter the server by passing using alt letters in a racist name, then we can take action with an instant ban since the system would give a prior notice before entering the server!

I do understand the complications of scripting
      I once was a Green Hat
      Then I turned into a Blue Hat
      I am a Black Hat
      but yet a White Hat
      Making me a Grey Hat