Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Bad routing?

Discussion in Networking started by Gaybraham Lincoln, Mar 28, 2012

1. Mar 9, 2012
    So I've spent the last 2-3ish months on all PF servers enjoying a healthy 50-80 ping. Today, I experienced a loss of connection with my modem and after calling Comcast was finally told there was an outage in my area. Connection is restored shortly thereafter and I go to hit up my favorite server when I noticed I'm getting 200+ ping. This strikes me as odd since it's never happened before. I back out and look and of my 8 servers on my favorites list, 4 of them are sub-60 and the rest are 200+, all of which happen to be PF's servers. I run a tracert on ZM1 and it seems like I'm losing a hop around Texas(I'm in Virginia).

I've never really experienced this problem before but from a quick google it appears like I'm pretty much screwed unless my ISP fixes things on their end(maybe they're working on something down there). Is this true? I'd hate to leave this community but there's just no way I'm going to have fun playing with 56k speeds like I used to when I was 16.

e: of course as soon as I post this I hop onto ZM1 and my ping starts around 400 and works its way down to 80. Maybe it is just Comcast working on something?
  2. Aug 18, 2006
    It's normal. The ISP is probably performing maintenence or upgrading their hardware. Just wait it out for a bit and it will go away.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Feb 18, 2011
      That was my main guess too.

You said Comcast told you there as an outage, so just do what Ray said and wait it out. They should fix it pretty quickly (tomorrow or at the worst Friday.).

But if not this, I learned from experience that when your router is hot as balls it is bound to run inefficiently, so if it is by every other electronic in your place, move it to a cool place like a vent or something.
      2 Other common sense problems you might not have, but hey its still worth a shot guessing:
      -Peer2Peer software running.
      -Multiple devices connected at once doing nothing (i.e. ipods, iphones, androids, laptops, other computers, ps3, xbox, etc.)
    • Mar 9, 2012
      Well just spent 90 minutes with 80-150 ping which is playable and alright so I guess I can just wait out whatever is left anyways. Just glad it's down to a reasonable level now. I figured this was out of my hands, glad to hear you guys think the same.

Thanks for the help!
    • Apr 14, 2011
      On a side note make sure u have all the ports you need fwd'd
    • Jun 4, 2006
      he doesn't need to have any open to play steam / css servers, only for people to connect to HIM. If there was an issue with is local firewall / router rules blocking shit then he wouldn't be able to play / connect at all, not experience high ping.
      • Agree Agree x 1