Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Best graphics card under $300?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by dillinger, Jan 11, 2014

1. Feb 1, 2011
    I'm looking to upgrade from an AMD HD 6870. I'd like to spend under $300. Is there anything great out there? Should I spend more? Less? Lemme know. Link stuff, I'm open to AMD or Nvidia!

2. Nov 11, 2011
    I'd wait a few weeks, but if you want future-proof for another 3 or 4 years, grab the evga 760. Its almost 0500 on mobile so I'll update later today after sleep.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dec 2, 2013
    • Feb 27, 2012
      The EVGA 760 is a decent card.
      http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3765-KR/dp/B00EM2JP4O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1389481551&sr=8-6&keywords=evga 760

The R9 270X isn't a bad price for what you get out of it, but the one above will still beat this card in performance

I'm not sure which road i would go (AMD or Nvidia) with Mantle on the way. It's going to be a new API, so it will probably be buggy/glitchy. It would be cool to see work well though. Games that support it in theory would run a lot better for AMD cards than Nvidia. But as it is right now, Nvidia is probably your better choice. The EVGA 760 for it's price is awesome, and their drivers are a thousand times better than AMD's. I almost don't want to go back to AMD just because of that. AMD drivers are absolutely terrible.

Your signature is ridiculously huge, jebus.
    • Jul 1, 2010

Looks like Battlefield 4 will be implementing it soon. They are saying that it runs up to 45% faster with a mantle compatible card.

I personally love my R9 270X and haven't had any issues with it. Has ran everything I've thrown at it very well. For those that have a 7870 it can be crossfired with the 270X.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Feb 28, 2013
        An EVGA GTX 760 would be fine as well, seeing that I actually use one. It all depends on what your likes would be when it comes to a graphics card. I believe that the 7950 got a price bump up, since I remember seeing it at around $300.

Best bet is to just look into the differences that manufactures have put into their cards, and see what would fit best for you.
      • Oct 18, 2012
        lol my sig best sig
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I've refused to stay with ATI mainly for the fact their driver support always lacks behind nVidia's. Maybe others can wait but I like to be ready from day one. Maybe they've gotten better but I've built a loyalty to nVidia and so far I haven't been disappointed (except for their ridiculous intro prices). We need ATI to release their cards as cheap as they have to force nVidia to bump theirs down. I personally have nothing against the R9 series, in fact I like them a lot. But as Dharkk has mentioned, things are smooth for him, so +1. I'd buy either or, but I'm biased to towards the G series from nVidia so I'm holding onto my initial recommendation.
      • Feb 1, 2011
        Bumping this cuz I still haven't decided. I bumped my budget up a little bit and am currently thinking about going with this EVGA GTX 770:

This looks good too and is 10 bucks cheaper:

But I dunno, I'm sure there are lots of options out there, even within the 770s. Anybody know if this is a good bang for your buck or if there's something else I should consider? I'm pretty dead set on Nvidia at this point
      • Jul 8, 2012
        I have the GTX 760 as my price range was $300, other than a dead HDMI port which I am getting solved I love the card. Good temps, good performance so far, and I approve of their customer support so far.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Mar 20, 2011
        • May 11, 2011
          I have the gtx 760 i would say it is a better buy right then the 770 and you can still max out most games.
        • Dec 11, 2013
          A cheap purchase is money lost.....
          I recommend the R9 280X.
          This is playable also BF4,And this is stable operation.
        • Nov 17, 2012
          I'd go with the R9 270X (or 280X, not sure on American Prices).
          AMD Mantle is nearly here, it offers up to 45% more performance than DirectX. Battlefield 4 uses it I believe, so getting an one of the R9 series would be a great pickup.