Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

BGA (Ball Grid Array) may become the "new thing"

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Brett, Apr 27, 2013

1. Dec 6, 2011
    BGA (Ball Grid Array), which is a term that means the CPU is soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be removed, may become a huge change in the computer world. With the introduction of the Haswell series CPUs that are set to release on June 6th (along with Z87 LGA motherboards), these BGA motherboard/CPU combos will also be a part of this apparently. My only thoughts on this are that this may just be a better way for companies like Intel to make more money to be honest. People like to switch out their CPUs sometimes while keeping their older motherboard, or vice versa, but now, no matter what is broken be it CPU or motherboard, you'll have to replace both of them at once. On the other hand, this could be a better advancement for faster processing and more possibilities in the processor world, so I'm somewhat undecided on this. This may be a big thing for future laptops/all-in-one's as well.

More information and complete Haswell CPU line-up chart located in the link below.

2. Jul 8, 2012
    Oh jee, oh no, oh gosh, IT'S HAPPENING!!! The dawn of a no free will on what you put in your computer!!!

#include freewill.h
    #include monopoly.h
    #include date.h

static int main(args i)
    int year = date.year;
    string freedom = freewill.doeshas;
    bool company = monopoly.company.hasall;
    if(year == "2013")
    freedom = "nope.jpg";
    company = true;
    string upgrades = "what is this ancient crap?"
    send(freedom, company, upgrades);

return "WTF IS THIS SHIT";

In other news, if this is a thing, you'll want to always buy a top of the line CPU as you will have to undo EVERYTHING to replace it or the motherboard for whatever reason. No more single upgrades/replacements soon. Okay, drunk person thingy signing out. Nighty night

Edit: Durped, ignore that question.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Oct 22, 2012
      burn it with fire
    • Apr 9, 2007
      Atom is already BGA.
    • Apr 9, 2012
      I don't feel comfortable with that idea... PC's are powerful enough, them being on the motherbord or not, so I wouldn't ship with this. Just my opinion
    • May 14, 2011
      Building on what kyle said, only chips made for mobile products will be soldered on. People were freaking out about this a few months ago. Now it seems the rumor is back.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Please stop spamming, this isn't no-count.
      Post Merged, Apr 28, 2013
      Well no, it's that they're releasing it with the Haswell CPUs.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      It doesn't make sense since they will be segregating a huge percentage of what makes them money which are the DIY people and the manufacturers of pre-built PC. Dell is not going to agree to a non-changeable CPU on a motherboard for their PC line (especially on their Alienware line). You'll also be hitting Newegg and NCIX with a retard marketing gimmick which will create a uproar.

Intel is a smart company and isn't going to stick a cpu and force you to buy a MB just to change your CPU.
      Post Merged, Apr 28, 2013
      I would like to salute for everything you written, you brought me a giggle on this morning.
      Benderius, Apr 28, 2013 Last edited by Bender Rodriguez, Apr 28, 2013
    • May 14, 2011
      Well the motherboards are made already. So the most popular chips for the Z87 platform won't be BGA.