Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Birth of Man - Minecraft Film

Discussion in Movies started by Dirtbag, Feb 6, 2014

1. May 15, 2011
    Co-creator Brandon Laatsch along side creator and founder of RocketJump Freddie Wong are looking to create a feature length film revolving around the world and lore of Minecraft. So they've gone out and entered the realm of Kickstarter, looking to make a subset of $600K to get this project moving along at a steady pace, and hopefully bring it to life.

If you wish to view the first preview that has been released and read up on the conditions and dreams of the crew, click here.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Dec 11, 2013
      It is an gooooood video, thanks @Dirtbag for sharing it :smile:
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Feb 3, 2012
      • Jul 8, 2012
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • May 15, 2011
          I thought Notch was a cool guy, but to nip something this neat in the ass and not at least look for a way to work a deal with them is a low blow. Maybe he should just go work for EA now. :'I
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Jun 11, 2012
            I don't think he's being unreasonable due to the guy is asking for 600K$ to release a movie thus piggybacking on Notch IP to make money on him. At least he could have work something in place before he decided to raise that money. He could have looked at getting a license to use and would have been fine. If Notch feels that someone is gonna make money from him and not have something in place to protect the IP (regardless of how expansive and ludicrous rich it made him) he should shut it down.

Youtuber don't realize this because they are young fellers who haven't a clue what "broadcasting/license" means. I support Notch in this. Not to rain down on something you were looking forward to. Sorry though for the bummer.
            • Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Jul 8, 2012
              Well yeah I agree bender. They should have gone at it a different way.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
            • May 15, 2011
              Actually no, if you read it, it's being created by RocketJump Studios, not just a YouTuber, but an actual film making company and school, who has made an entire series (Video Game Highschool) already released on public television as well as working on other feature length films. So, they aren't just some amateurs, and they understood licensing, they just misjudged Notch's views on Minecraft user created content. For years now Notch has never said anything nor shot down anything Minecraft related done by fans. I understand the only reason he got jumpy on this one was because of the incredible price point, and it's not that he said no, it's how he went about it. If he were to say straight up, no I would not like this in a friendly manner, that would be fine. But to just give out a quirky and rather rude tweet feeling all mighty just gives off some really bad mojo, and personally reminds me of how EA responds to their users like we, the consumer, don't matter. I'm pretty sure this is a really big deal to a lot of people, as gamers we love to see our culture out on the big screen. Video games is who we are, and here we were about to get something that would feed those dreams, but then to have them shot down in such an unsightly manner is rather disheartening, especially when we felt Notch was a much kinder, down to earth gamer.

TL;DR - Notch was rather rude in his tweet, but in no way wrong about his decision.
            • Jun 11, 2012
              Unfortunately there needs to be a line drawn between a community and a company. He's looking out for his IP and company while making sure that any residual profits should be his way. Ubisoft lets people use all their characters as long there isn't a profit to be made. Ubisoft use to be super strict (this is in 2004~2009 years where the backlash was strong because they weren't as nicer and active on forums/twitter/social media and being closer to the gamers) on it's community presence until they started to get let loose and now foster a strong social media presence with everything they offer. Tangent aside, for the amount of money they are raising without disclosing where is it going and if a surplus what happens, does he cut a check to themselves, do they pocketed. I too will be less nice about the way this was presented for that amount of money.

While true your feeling are strong to what Minecraft has created and now the community that grew from it from a baron is a close knitted one, the production people should have not made assumptions on Notch being completly non-chillant about someone profiting from his work.

With all due respect, this is freddiew team that branched out. He got away for so long because companies were giving him the greelight to use their IP so they can get free marketing and freddiew get stronger add avenue. . They got their start on offering non-direct revenue by putting their content on Youtube and getting the money from Google Ads services. This case it's different, it's a direct revenue stream without a license that were acquired.
              tldr. Yeah, being direct twitter rude wasn't the way to go and probably a direct contact and let the project cancelled and let the production people explain to the backers (or potential backers) of the issue.
              • Agree Agree x 1