Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Black Friday / Cyber Monday Sales

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Ghost, Nov 16, 2012

Will you make use of the sale?

Yes 7 vote(s) 43.8%
No 9 vote(s) 56.3%
  1. May 14, 2011
    So this is if people want to talk about what they want/plan to or have bought on the black Friday sales.

(I searched "Black Friday" and only threads from previous years turned up)

What I personally want to get.

Budget: £200ish

Item - RRP - Price I will buy at
    • 7950 EK waterblock - £80 - £60
    • Clear tubing for w/c - £10 - £(any drop)
    • A set of corsair fans - £20 a dual pack - £10-15
    • A fan controller. RRP - £50 - £25
    • A low wattage PSU for a server I intend to build out of old PC parts. £50 - £30
    • Nexus 7 (If it goes really low would over ride a lot of the other things) - £160 - £120
    • Strip LED lighting for my PC - £10/m - £5-7/m
    • 24" monitor - £120 - £80-100
    Most of these are hopeful but I'm not expecting most of them. Getting 2 or 3 of these would make my day.

Sales start on Monday here, I can't wait!
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    So far, the Walmart and Target near me are closed for Thanksgiving/Black Friday due to workers on strike. I'm glad they're doing this, it's bullshit people have to go into work at midnight right after Thanksgiving dinner. I hope more workers do this to combat the early opening hours.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Jan 12, 2011
      Agreed. It's utter bull that Walmart starts their Black Friday sale at 8:00pm on Thanksgiving. That's right. Not at midnight to be technically the day it should be held, but late on the day everyone should be allowed to spend together. This means the employees would have to eat dinner at lunchtime and catch a quick nap in the afternoon if they want to be ready for their hours. Nevermind the people who actually wait in line to get into the store, they'll have to start outside most of Thanksgiving day to get dibs on their choice holiday sales. More than anything, this just comes off as desperate when stores open earlier or dangle better sales on the fronts of papers, tempting everyone to stand outside for absurd periods of time to buy something of limited supply. Black Friday used to be a kinda fun and frantic day as Christmas deals went into full swing with stores opening at their semi-annual early hours, but now it's just obsessive and too competitive. How I miss those old days... :frown:

I'll post some appealing sales locally when I figure out what to look for. The main places I'll probably be looking at will be Fry's, Microcenter, and maybe a couple others. Forget Walmart, since I've heard of people getting maimed when they opened their doors in previous years.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      So Brett can have time to get that 64 Quad core SLI Liquid Nitrogen cooled Cd drives
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Dec 6, 2011
        Please tag me in every deal you find. I'm being completely serious. I'm currently looking for many things, I need a new desk, desperately a new chair, a new 5.1/7.1 speaker set, and a variety of computer parts. Though if you find a good deal on something that isn't that, I might still want it.
      • Jan 12, 2011
        Tell you what, IF I get their ads early enough I'll post pictures of them so you can look at it all! Otherwise if I can't, I'd suggest to just wing it since it might be too late to post info before going there myself. I'll go ahead and say if you're close to a Fry's OR a Microcenter, you already have an advantage over other places and will probably be worth the wait (assuming everyone else doesn't have the same idea). I'm relatively close to both so I'll try to keep an eye on them, but both stores are pretty good about not having their pages leaked before the big day.

Edit: Actually @Brett, I might have a shot to see their ads a bit sooner than normal since I'll be helping my friend out with the paper routes next week. If I can get home quickly after that, we might be in luck!
        Vadleon, Nov 16, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Nov 16, 2012
      • Dec 6, 2011
        I live near a Microcenter but their prices are outrageous. I doubt anything will be worth buying tbh. I saw a GTX 460 for $220 a couple months ago in there.

EDIT: Read the edit, and thanks =D
      • Nov 11, 2011
        I'm working 7pm to 10am on Wednesday into Thursday, and then 3pm to 11pm Thursday. Working around 50 hours just these four days. :reallypissed:
      • Jan 12, 2011
        Microcenter doesn't have the best prices all the time, but they are still worth a gander for the occasional gem, and even more so when they have sales and rebates. They're also really good for picking up flashdrives and SD cards, since they tend to have the lowest price for the different capacities. If you're looking for product variety and price points to compare against (or just raw SIZE), go with Fry's. Fry's also has a fair number of good rebates year-round, so I can't wait to see what they have on Black Friday.

Edit:
        I count 23 hours for two days, unless there's a void in time just to make you miserable. [IMG]

Seriously though, that sucks and that's a lot of time to put in, so I wish you good health during that. Also, I really hope you and other employees working the BF shifts get extra pay to deal with the frenzy.
        Vadleon, Nov 16, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Nov 16, 2012
      • Jan 12, 2011
        Update for everyone in this thread! Tagging as requested, @Brett.

A reliable website that my dad and others like to refer to lists BF sales at various places. Said website is aptly named BFAds.net, and it provides listings for as many stores as possible whenever ads are released/leaked. Places such as Target, Ace, Amazon, Best Buy, Macy's, Sears, and many others can be found here. I presume the ones I mentioned, Fry's and Microcenter, will be added sometime soon when their ads come out. Rather than list all the possible goodies, I figured I'd just post the link so everyone can have a browse (My dad and brother are good at finding things and just told me about it).

Link to the main page -> http://bfads.net/
        Link to the scanned ads -> http://bfads.net/Adscans

I'll be back after doing some things today, but I hope yall make good use of it! Be sure to post back with interesting things if you spot them among the dozens of ads!
        • Informative Informative x 1
          Vadleon, Nov 17, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Nov 17, 2012
        • Mar 12, 2008
          I could go for a better monitor. Anything is better than this crummy one i have. it's too daaaaamn small
        • Jan 12, 2011
          I know I already replied to this once before, but I just realized you said Thursday and not Friday. Did you mean to type that, or are they seriously making you work almost all day Thanksgiving? If so, then screw them. [IMG]
        • Nov 11, 2011

Wednesday - 6pm - 11pm
          Thursday - 7pm - 10am
          Friday - 3pm - 11pm

Sorry about that lol.
        • Jan 12, 2011
          Oh, ok. Still, that's a pretty awful lineup for Friday. [IMG]

Are you at least getting good money for it? Edit: What I mean to ask is, is it worth your while to be completely exhausted at the end?
          Vadleon, Nov 17, 2012 Last edited by Vadleon, Nov 17, 2012
        • Nov 11, 2011
          Nothing beats a good ol' meal with the family. :\ Considering how SHITTY my retailer is... we're getting time and a half but our commissions are cut in half... So we work twice as hard but make pretty much the same amount even though we'll sell a lot of volume. Greedy fucking businesses, make you work during a holiday but fuck you over in pay. Screw them.
        • Dec 6, 2011
          Emerson's are selling for cheap at Wallymart. Not sure if it goes for every store, but Yahoo's saying there's 32in 720p for $148, 40in 1080p for $198, and 50in 1080p for $298. I know they're TV's but gaming on a giant screen is badass. I'm going to try my ass off to snag that 50in, but I doubt I'll get it.
        • Jul 20, 2010
          I don't think it's bullshit, it's good marketing on the companies part start the sale even earlier so people spend more money since they have in theory more time to shop. That's hardly a reason to strike over you have to work a whole 3-4 hours earlier than last year. Silly workers feeling entitled to not work on holidays, not to mention they get time and half or double or triple time with certain companies.

Only thing I'm buying is the S3 at Best Buy for 50 bucks wooo :grin:
        • Dec 6, 2011
          I'd be pissed if I had to leave thanksgiving dinner at 6pm to head to work.... but that's just my two cents. Black Friday used to be fun, now it's all about competition. In 10 years, I doubt we'll even have thanksgiving anymore. We'll just have "48hour Black Friday".
        • Jul 8, 2012
          You shouldn't be made to work, but if you there should also be incentive as in the stated pay raise for working. Some people's schedules would fit in holidays. Some may not.
        • Mar 12, 2008
          I would have had my 1920x1080 still, but my ex threw an (empty, mind you) bottle of water and cracked the fuck out of the screen. Broke the LCD and made me borderline homicidal. I now use this one: Great dishonor to famiry