Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Black screen / blue lines

Discussion in Technical Support started by dillinger, Apr 9, 2014

1. Feb 1, 2011
    Help! I was playing RUST and the screen went black. Computer was unresponsive so I had to shut it down via the power button. When it restarted, there were random blue lines on the BIOS and windows loading screens. After the "starting windows" screen, everything went black again. I rebooted again to safe mode, at which point there were lots of staggered horizontal blue lines over everything.

Did my GPU die?

i7 2600k
    AMD HD 6870
    16gb corsair ram
    Windows 7

[IMG]
    dillinger, Apr 9, 2014 Last edited by dillinger, Apr 9, 2014
  2. Dec 1, 2013
    Sounds like your GPU is dying. But, I would definitely unplug the PSU from the GPU and replug it in. See if that changes anything. Do you happen to have an extra video card to determine if it's the cause?
  3. Feb 1, 2011
    Unfortunately not. I'll try the PSU thing
  4. Jan 30, 2013
    As said above, seems your gpu may be shot. Since you have a 2600k, which has an onboard gpu, I'd suggest using it to make sure it isn't anything else, like the data cable or monitor itself.
  5. Feb 1, 2011
    How do I use the onboard GPU? Dunno much about this stuff. Is it a bad sign that there is graphical artifacting (the blue lines) even on the loading screens and safe mode?
  6. Dec 1, 2013
    Loading screen, yes. Safe mode, not so much. Change the BIOS settings to use on board graphics card and unseat the video card. Hopefully there will be a port on your motherboard for DVI or VGA.
  7. Jan 30, 2013
    There will be an unused VGA port(its usually always vga, but sometimes DVI) somewhere on the back. Probably around a bunch of usb ports. Plugging the cable into that would allow you to use it, though it's been awhile so im not sure if the amd card would need to be removed, or a bios setting be changed to use it(don't ever think this was the case, but just letting you know). You might not get a video feed until the login/desktop loads, which is normal if your other gpu was left in.

And yea it would be the case of "bad". Its either a gpu related issue, cable, driver, or monitor. Which doing this with the onboard gpu would check the cable/monitor side. And if it still persisted, its either one of those two problems, or an os/software issue. If it stopped, and going abck to the amd card, the problem came back, its a gpu/driver issue.
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Apr 9, 2012
      Time for an upgrade is what your computer is saying :thumbsup:
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jun 23, 2010
        Its okay bro, time to upgrade anyways or try another driver for it.
      • Feb 1, 2011
        Well, I'm not sure how to confirm that it's the GPU and not something else. I imagine it is, but I don't have a DVI/VGA port off the motherboard so I can't really confirm anything. I don't wanna go drop 400+ bucks on a new graphics card and find out that's not my issue.
      • Jan 30, 2013
        What motherboard? Cant imagine a mobo that uses apu's while not having an onboard dvi/vga/hdmi port. Defeats the purpose of using an apu lol.
      • Feb 1, 2011
        http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3897#ov

On second look it has an HDMI port, maybe I can hook it up that way. So all I need to do is hook it up this way? Or do I need to unseat the graphics card / tweak some settings beforehand?
      • Jan 30, 2013
        Yeah hdmi should work. I'll assume it will be the same as vga/dvi (ive never had onboard hdmi ports to try this) and defaut to the adapter thats connected to the port(hd3000).
        Dont think any settings need to be changed(at worst a bios setting, but usually you dont need to do anything), nor would you need to unseat the gpu, but you can remove the gpu if you want, wont really matter as it wont get used. If the pc was prebuilt, it should already be fully set up driver-wise to be able to use the onboard gpu.
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Feb 1, 2011
          I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all your help!!