Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Black Texture issue

Discussion in Mapping Discussion started by [pF] LuciD, Nov 24, 2013

1. May 31, 2012
    Been getting these strange black squares on my textures in game. Can't see them in SDK. They only appear in this house (a prefab I got from gamebanana). Anyone know what this is. Heres a couple screenys. 2013-11-24_00003 2013-11-24_00001 2013-11-24_00002
  2. Mar 8, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Feb 27, 2012
      Terrible lighting maybe? Or are those parts set as a black texture? Also, what Satin Storm said.
      EDIT: Also, what happens when you shine your flashlight on it? Does it show the proper texture? Does it not light up at all?
      Tony The Tiger, Nov 24, 2013 Last edited by Tony the Tiger!! :D, Nov 24, 2013
    • May 31, 2012
      Do you mean is it a shadow? No it's not black texture. And no, my flashlight doesn't show anything, its like a black hole.
    • Feb 27, 2012

In hammer check what the texture is set to on the house. You probably derped and set it as a black texture. cs_italy/black and cs_italy/white are the only 2 default CS:S textures that do not receive shadows, and is what it sounds like happened.
    • May 25, 2012
      It could be using VertexLitGeneric textures and might cause it to 'flicker'. I do recall an older map that used a texture like... materials/models/props_debris/tilewall009b, Is this the same issue you have? You could just replace the textures by bringing up the Face Edit (Shift + A) or to check yourself if the prefab is using model textures by clicking on the selected area.

Although, I'm probably wrong it's worth at least a check. I believe it would cause 'blackness' in areas or sometimes 'dots', at least from what I see.
      • Informative Informative x 1
        Syoudous, Nov 24, 2013 Last edited by Syoudous, Nov 24, 2013
      • May 31, 2012

Not cs_italy black texture. I never derp, you of all people should know that :wink:.
      • Feb 27, 2012
        You made the walls enclosing your first map func_detail -.-

Check what Syoudous said.
      • Mar 8, 2013
        you must've fucked something up because it compiles and renders just fine for me.

the only time I've seen black surfaces like that is when I've had overlapping grounds and VRAD can't quite work out the lighting. I don't think it should appear randomly on properly made walls though.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • May 25, 2012
          Nah, I'm wrong. It was a complete shot in the dark and I think the prefab is okay.

You can try to check the compile log and see if anything pops up from there. In your images the windows leading outside are black as well. Are you compiling the same map as it stands?
        • Apr 9, 2012
          Generally black faces indicate missing stuff in csgo, but I'm not sure for css
        • Mar 8, 2013
          maybe you did something silly like put two light_environments in your map? I say this because the prefab has its own light_environment bundled with it.
        • Feb 3, 2012
          Most likely just lighting issues or something else.
        • May 31, 2012
          No light enviroments, but there are light_spots?

EDIT: Just hit me. This started happening after I checked RAD in the compile map menu to normal because it was set to off. Could that be it?
        • Feb 27, 2012
          Normal should be proper, as VRAD compiles world lighting. Maps look like shit without lighting, so don't you dare make it fullbright. Check your Entity Report to make sure you don't have two light_environments. I don't think that would be the issue anyway as it should render the second one obsolete and not use it anyway.

Also, light_spots are fine, they're part of the lights in the prefab, probably.
        • Jul 2, 2013
          I never get these problems. but sometimes in Zombie Escape there a invisible props idk why lol
        • Feb 27, 2012
          type it in your console.