Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

BlackHawkDown

Discussion in Movies started by Spoka, Jul 29, 2012

1. Jun 20, 2012
    Reply with your ideas about the movie.
  2. May 14, 2011
  3. Jun 20, 2012
    I have seen it a couple times, but my Girl Friend just had to watch it, it might be because her brother is serving over seas.
  4. Oct 20, 2011
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Feb 18, 2011

But it is a great movie. I love it, there really aren't that many war movies like that.
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Mar 4, 2012
        Read the book. The movie doesn't do it justice. Although it is a pretty good movie.
      • Jul 16, 2012
        Seeing as I've watched it, erm probably well over 40 times now. It's by far one of my most favorite movies, along with We Were Soldiers and Act of Valor.
        Wish they would make more war movies like it instead of the "humor" movies they're coming out with now :shutmouth:, don't get me wrong I like them... I just like War movies more :grin:
      • Jan 31, 2011
        Black Hawk Down is a wonderful film that has excellent military acting (which is rare) and surprisingly good historical allusion.

As far as the conflict that the film depicts, it's another chapter in American selective imperialism, where we intervened under the guise of humanitarian aid in order to gain ground strategically in the region.

Sounds like a wonderful idea to avenge and stop the killing of 20,000 Somalis, but begs the question why we don't do it across the board. Sudan, China, Burma, the Congo, and other countries are still experiencing genocide and/or crimes against humanity today, but we don't intervene unless there's something to gain in the way of resources or international footing.

All that aside, it's an awesome movie that has all the right attributes of heroism, perseverance, and bravery.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Dec 6, 2011
          It's a very strong movie that seems almost lifelike. Each time I watch it makes me want to help out as much as I can, more and more.
        • Jul 14, 2010
          One of my top favorite movies, loved the story and it was just great overall.
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Nov 11, 2011
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Oct 17, 2011
              Hmm seems like an interesting movie but never watched it. I also saw trailers on tv of it but it thought it was boring. I'll see if I can watch it. I watched red cock down. It was a hilarious movie.
            • Jun 2, 2012
              Made me tear a little like i did in Pokemon the first movie. :crying:
            • Nov 11, 2011
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Jan 5, 2012
                The ending scene where the soldier reads the letter written to his wife and children is so emotional. Hands down one of my favorite movies.
              • Nov 29, 2010

Up there with We Were Soldiers and Saving Private Ryan. Great action, but also extremely emotional moments.
              • Jun 23, 2011
                I need to watch this since I know it will be a good movie and I have read the book also

Im sure this will be at the top of my list with saving private ryan
              • Jun 23, 2010
              • Mar 26, 2011
              • Mar 4, 2012
                The book is about 20x crazier in how it describes the volume of fire and how desperate the situation was compared to the movie. I never got the feeling that in the movie they could have been overrun at any time but that's the way they talked about the fighting in the book. Plus there are just a bunch of insane scenes in the book. One of my favorites being when the crew chief describes how the helicopters would fly down to roof top levels when making the gun runs and mow down crowds of Somalis if there was so much as an AK-47 in one of their hands. Every time they swooped down the crew chief would shout out the name of one of the pilots/crew chiefs of a 101st black hawk that was shot down a couple days before and in which the Somalis mutilated their bodies.

Then there was one scene where there was like 8 guys and one of them was riding on top of a cow and the group was just fighting around the cow until a Black Hawk made a gun run and shot it to shit.