Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Blocking off illegal spots?

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Mod started by Tony Montana, Feb 18, 2012

1. Jul 4, 2011
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but the search came up with nothing. I've had this idea in mind now for a while, would it be possible to mark illegal spots in the map and block them off, making them completely inaccessible? On bhop servers with a timer, an admin can go into noclip mode and make invisible squares to let the timer plugin know here to stop/start the timer, I'm thinking about something similar, invisible blocks made by an admin that loads on each map. A plugin like this would make illegal spots nothing but a memory, it would also let admins concentrate on other issues or actually enjoy playing for once on maps with illegal spots. Thoughts? :cat:
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Aug 18, 2006
      In theory, its possible with creating entities via SM.
    • Sep 25, 2010
      You're a mapper, do what I do. Edit those illegal spots and enjoy playing.
    • May 15, 2011
      If you want, we can get a few mappers together to edit all the maps for once. I'll help too. I've just been hanging low and only editing maps if they become an issue or are brought up. If you can get all the original mappers .vmf's that would be cool. :razz:

Or you could just VMEX the shit outta all of them.
    • Jul 4, 2011
      Wouldn't it be easier to just have the plugin made? Sure, we could decompile and edit all maps but there will still be new ones with illegal spots.
    • Nov 29, 2010
      I've heard this discussion before, the reason why some illegal spots have not been edited out is because if a mapper finds out that we edited one of their maps without their permission, there may be a slight fuss over it on how we're editing their work. Trivial matter, but I do believe it has happened to us in the past.
    • Jan 14, 2012
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • May 15, 2011
        Ewwwww give me a link cause I've never heard of it.

Yes, which is why I haven't just been editing all the maps. If a map becomes to much of a pain in the ass to handle I'll take action then and fix it or ask the Original mapper to fix it. If the original mapper does not reply with in 24 hours, I'll decompile it and edit it myself. It's not that hard.
      • Oct 29, 2010
        If the plug-in worked out how we wanted it would certainly be an awesome thing. Editing out illegal spots is grand and all but there will always be new maps and we can't always expect them to be edited right away, this would, ideally, fix the problem all together.
      • Mar 16, 2008
        Fixing the spot > putting a band-aid on it.
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Sep 25, 2010

This would be ideal if we could create entities at certain co-ords that will always be there even after map changes. Is that what this plugin does?
        • Oct 29, 2010
          And be in a perpetual cycle of fixing maps.

Fixing the problem > fixing the map.
        • Sep 25, 2010
          While fixing the problem in an easy manner is ideal, I still favor fixing illegal spots(especially when you turn them into legal ones).
        • Jun 4, 2006
          Even with the plugin we're still in a constant cycle of updating coords for the plugin to protect with new / updated maps. It doesn't change anything other than the process in which a spot is blocked, surely going in-game and finding the correct coords and then adding them to a db of some sort could be and probably is a much faster process than having someone decompile a map and block out the illegal spots, but it doesn't fix the problem by any means, just opens the possibility of it being easier to manage illegal spots in maps rather than editing them completely (though I must say, I favor this route as it is the best way, there's absolutely no chance of the spots suddenly becoming accessible because the plugin breaks or other and it wouldn't use any extra entities or resources as a plugin would, though depending on how the plugin was written this may not be an issue). Speaking about it breaking, what if our coordinates for the plugin in a certain map aren't defined properly? There's a chance, again depending on the plugins behavior, that players could still utilize illegal spots that have been improperly cordoned off (a ledge whose last 2 feet are unprotected due to user error when setting coords, for example). Deto also touches on the ability to IMPROVE maps with illegal spots by converting them into legal spots that can still be used, whereas with a plugin we would be limiting the amount of spots you can utilize in certain maps.

And IIRC, we had something like this many many years ago, it was a simple A to B teleport system, the entrances to the teleports were put in the illegal spots, so if anyone entered they'd be teleported elsewhere, probably to some near-by location. This was kind of stupid though if my memory serves me right and it eventually broke or something, I don't recall it being in use for long, or perhaps it was never in use and we were just testing it on cs_italy one day... at any rate it wasn't a great plugin for what we needed, the one posted above seems like a much better fit.

A plugin of some sort could certainly help if it were done right, but I definitely wouldn't want to throw editing maps out the window if we did introduce it as an alternative method to protecting illegal areas, and I'm sure we wouldn't. All I'm saying is this plugin idea might not be as peachy as it seems, or it could work out amazingly well, who knows, I'm just basing these speculations on my own observations / experiences with coord-type plugins, though looking at the one above and the whole corner to corner method of setting a region, similar to region plugins in MC, seems like it would be pretty easy, but there are some more complex spots. The visuals are nice though since we'd actually be able to see the region. I'd be VERY weary if we were using a plugin where the region couldn't be checked or seen, as this would ultimately lead to poorly protected areas as I mentioned earlier.

tl;dr I'd be open to something along these lines but it would have to be done right and I don't want to stop editing maps just because we introduce a new way to cordon off illegal areas... and if a map so happens to get edited which fixes spots in a current map that DOES have coords set, we can get rid of the coords on that map and just use the new, legal map (as this is a much better method imo).
        • Oct 29, 2010
          After thinking about this a bit more I'm not sure this would solve all the problems anyway. If it worked perfectly it would certainly take care of some illegal spots but there are tons of vents/ledges that people use to travel through but aren't allowed to camp in, blocking these could be detrimental to the map. So even if the plug-in worked amazingly, I suppose it wouldn't be 100%
          • Like Like x 1
          • Jan 14, 2012
            I'm familiar with Peace-Makers method used in the plugin and I can say it's very accurate. If only a part of 'your body' goes into the square, it gets detected. But, it's also a pain in the ass at first. Lots of messing around with noclip, since the shooting the corners method doesn't work perfect. However, once you get the gist it becomes quite easy. And because you can just import the cfg files you can do the creating of illegal zones on a test server for example. I have no doubts about the plugin itself, Peace-Maker is a good coder.

About editing maps:
            I'm not sure how mappers think about communities 'improving' their maps, but lets say they are ok with it, it does require all players to redownload a map they actually already have. I personally don't like it, lets take ze_PoTC_pf for example, the original map was fine, I don't really get the customization.

Overall it seems to me that installing and configuring a plugin is a lot less work than editing every single map.
          • Mar 12, 2008
            I've had to deal with multiple mappers who's maps posed a problem on our servers. They are fine with it. They aren't a bunch of stuck up assholes. They understand, and it's not a 'customization', it's a fix. I do not claim or say that any of the maps I edit belong to me nor do I upload them to gamebanana. I simply edit it to be used on our servers. Most mappers will not care about something so miniscule, especially if you ask them politely.