Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Boost FPS?

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Joey.rage, Jan 5, 2012

1. Nov 28, 2011
    Hi my name is Joey.Rage you can usually find me on the Plaguefest Zombie Escape server.
    I'm looking to increase my fps, due to having extremely low fps most of the time which is irritating to say the least.
    I don't know anything about computers, so hopefully one of you compwizard knowhows can help me?

Here's my specs:
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40 GHz
    RAM: 3gb (2.75 usable)
    System type: 64 bit OS
    Windows 7
    Videocard: Nvidia GTX 550 Ti

Even with ALL settings turned low on CS:S I'm getting 9-15 FPS on most ZE maps. This is horrible for jumps and turning and all-around play.
    Please help :frown:
  2. Apr 2, 2011
    my fps sucks on css (ranging from 9-150) and it is quite adequate on every other game (ranging from 35-150) I don't need a ton of fps.. just more than 9 :confused:
  3. Jun 4, 2006
    might take a look through here http://plaguefest.com/index.php?/topic/7287-increase-your-css-fps/

or try this - save as whatever.cfg and add exec whatever.cfg to autoexec.cfg, if autoexec.cfg does not exist, create it inside /cstrike/cfg:

// Set netcode settings
    fps_max 300
    cl_lagcomp_errorcheck 1
    cl_lagcompensation 1
    net_maxfragments 1280
    net_showevents 0
    cl_deathicon_bg_alpha 1
    cl_detail_max_sway 0
    cl_detail_avoid_radius 0
    cl_detail_avoid_force 0
    cl_detail_avoid_recover_speed 0
    cl_ejectbrass 0
    cl_enabledeatheffects 0
    cl_enabledeathfilmgrain 0
    cl_enablespectatoreffects 0
    cl_forcepreload 1
    cl_muzzleflash_dlight_1st 0
    cl_muzzleflash_dlight_3rd 1
    cl_phys_props_enable 0
    cl_phys_props_max 0
    cl_ragdoll_collide 0
    cl_ragdoll_physics_enable 1
    cl_ragdoll_fade_time 1
    cl_show_splashes 0
    cl_showsunvectors 1
    cl_smooth 0
    cl_smoothtime .01
    cl_spec_mode 1
    gl_clear 0
    mp_decals 120
    muzzleflash_light 1
    props_break_max_pieces 0
    props_break_max_pieces_perframe 0
    r_3dsky 0
    r_cheapwaterend 1
    r_cheapwaterstart 1
    r_decal_cullsize 2
    r_decals 512
    r_decalstaticprops 0
    r_drawbatchdecals 0
    r_drawmodeldecals 0
    r_drawflecks 0
    r_dynamic 0
    r_eyeglintlodpixels 0
    r_eyegloss 0
    r_eyemove 0
    r_eyes 0
    r_eyeshift_x 0
    r_eyeshift_y 0
    r_eyeshift_z 0
    r_eyesize 0
    r_flex 0
    r_lightaverage 0
    r_maxdlights 0
    r_maxmodeldecal 0
    r_maxnewsamples 0
    r_maxsampledist 0
    r_minnewsamples 0
    r_occlusion 0
    r_PhysPropStaticLighting 0
    r_renderoverlayfragment 0
    r_rootlod 0
    r_shadowmaxrendered 32
    r_shadowrendertotexture 1
    r_shadows 1
    r_teeth 0
    r_worldlightmin 1
    r_worldlights 0
    rope_averagelight 0
    rope_collide 0
    rope_smooth 0
    rope_smooth_minwidth 0
    rope_smooth_minalpha 0
    rope_smooth_maxalphawidth 0
    rope_smooth_maxalpha 0
    rope_smooth_enlarge 0
    rope_shake 0
    rope_subdiv 0
    rope_wind_dist 0
    mat_antialias 0
    mat_bufferprimitives 1
    mat_bloomscale 0
    mat_bumpmap 1
    mat_clipz 1
    mat_compressedtextures 1
    mat_disable_bloom 0
    mat_disable_fancy_blending 1
    mat_disable_lightwarp 1
    mat_disable_ps_patch 1
    mat_fastspecular 1
    mat_filmgrain 0
    mat_forceaniso 1
    mat_filterlightmaps 1
    mat_forcehardwaresync 1
    mat_hdr_enabled 0
    mat_hdr_level 0
    mat_monitorgamma 2.3
    mat_parallaxmap 0
    mat_picmip 0
    mat_reducefillrate 0
    mat_specular 0
    mat_trilinear 1
    mat_wateroverlaysize 16
    mat_vsync 0
    r_threaded_particles 1 
    r_threaded_client_shadow_manager 1 
    cl_threaded_bone_setup 1
    cl_threaded_client_leaf_system 1
    r_threaded_renderables 1
    mat_queue_mode -1 // DO NOT CHANGE
    budget_show_history 0
    cl_allowdownload 1
    cl_autoreload 1
    cl_autorezoom 0
    cl_downloadfilter all
    cl_identiconmode 2
    cl_overview_chat_time 2.0
    cl_showhelp 0
    cl_spec_mode 5
    jpeg_quality 100
    skill 1
    spec_scoreboard 0
    sv_forcepreload 1
    echo "optimal config loaded"
  4. Feb 21, 2007
    well you should be getting more than that. I get more than that on my 6 yr old laptop on low. Are u running out of ram, or do u have anything running in the background while playing. Why is only 2.75gb of ram useable. are u using matched ram or different ram sticks (like if u bought them at different times from different packages)
  5. Apr 2, 2011
    Thank you Brian :thumbsup:
  6. Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks Brian, I was looking for something like that :thumbsup:

And Joey, you shouldn't be too worried, even the most high performance computers will still dip down when on certain parts of Predator/etc. Also, try out what Brian posted, it may help out.

On a side note, I don't know how your not getting better fps considering you have a 550 ti...
  7. Mar 19, 2011
    I'd also try downloading GameBooster 3 It will give you a slight boost in fps by stopping all unnecessary processes you're computer is running.

Might be the amount of RAM you currently have available or your processor that's slowing performance.
  8. Feb 18, 2011
    Gamebooster is very good, I posted something about it some time ago, and it really helps if you don't know much about optimization.
  9. Mar 19, 2011
    Besides downloading Gamebooster 3 you should go ahead and make sure your Drivers are up to date.

I would also suggest going into your Nvidia Control Panel --> (Adjust Image Settings with Preview)

And adjust your Emphasis to Performance rather than Quality.
  10. Sep 25, 2010
    Errr, why does it say 2.75GB usuable of ram if you're on a 64 bit OS :shock:
  11. Oct 24, 2011
    wtf i have the same specs
    type this in ur launch options for css

-dxlevel 80 +mat_antialias 0 could also try mat_picmip 10
  12. Nov 28, 2011
    I don't know why it says only 2.75gb is usable, but .25 gb ram doesn't seem like enough to screw my fps that bad. I'm going to try all of these great suggestions and thank you for them. I will post results here
  13. Sep 25, 2010
    So you specifically installed only 3GB of ram? I remember this happening to me before, I had more than 3 GB installed but it only showed 3GB. Cant remember what I did though. Just posting variables :razz:
  14. Nov 28, 2011
    Oh, yes, I have ONLY 3 gb of ram in this computer. It just says 3gb (2.75 usable) in the Computer > Properties
  15. Nov 28, 2011
  16. Mar 20, 2011
    It shows that because you have shared video ram. Just make an autoexec and see if you have any difference in texture quality, if you don't like it, delete the auto exec file. I get over 300FPS on my rig from time to time, but on average is runs around 170ish. It does dip down to 35FPS when you see flaming packs of zombies though. Sometimes lower on non optimized maps. Take in mind, I am running 2560x1600
  17. Jun 4, 2006
    You can try it and see, adjust it if need be, or simply remove it from your autoexec.cfg and your game will default back to the settings you're currently using. But the cfg I posted as is will indeed make your GFX look much different. It will also remove tree leaves and the like.
  18. Jul 14, 2010
    Make sure to turn on multicore - rendering, that should double your fps or add a pretty significant amount. Your specs are really good for css (better than mine) but I don't even get that low of fps :shock:. Try backing up your config in the cstrike folder then you can test the script brian posted. If you don't like it get rid of it and put your old config back (this should work or you could google any other way of backing up settings).
  19. Nov 28, 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone. Hopefully my fps will go up! Thanks again guys!
  20. Nov 28, 2011
    Okay. My fps went up, woot! Thanks guys.

One problem: Can't see skybox -- what's causing that? I think it's something in the CFG file and if I could just get rid of that line and use the rest that'd be great!

edit: r_3dsky 0 was the cause, fixed now. Thanks!