Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Boredom + SketchUp = ???

Discussion in Entertainment started by Reaper, Sep 1, 2011

1. Jan 5, 2007
    So, I got bored last night while looking for some rifle rests for our guns. After getting a little annoyed at how much most of them would cost for how simple they are, I decided to try and design my own. Looked around for a little bit and found Google SketchUp, and decided to give it a try.

Ended up coming up with a simple rest design that could easily be made using 3/4" plywood, wood glue, and a few nuts and bolts. I couldn't really concentrate too much on coming up with a good design, since I'm currently in the middle of fighting a nasty cold. When I'm feeling up to, I plan on reworking the design of the rear support to make it height adjustable to better accommodate different types of rifles. I have a basic idea of how I could do it, but with this cold I can't stop sneezing enough to actually plan it out.

I would have designed one using square steel tubing, but I wanted to use what was already available with as little cost as possible. In the shed out back is a ton of wood and bolts, so I decided to use that. Eventually I try and design a sturdier one using the square tubing, since I doubt this one will survive the recoil of higher power rifles.
  2. Feb 21, 2007
    is this to display ur gun or for the shooting range?
  3. Jan 5, 2007
    It could be used as a display stand for older wood stock rifles, like my mom's old lever-action, or the M1 Garand or Carbine. It's main use though would just be to provide a stable shooting position to help with getting the optics zeroed.