Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Browsers

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Colton, Jul 30, 2010

1. Mar 2, 2010
    Chrome 5 Beta, Firefox 4 Beta 2, Opera 10.6 Final.

Firefox is falling behind.

(For those of you that don't know what Acid3 is: it tests a browsers' engine's graphics, pixel for pixel. 100/100 means that it matches, pixel for pixel, what the original image is.)

chrome ff4 opera
  2. Apr 26, 2010
  3. Mar 2, 2010
    I normally use Chrome 5 Beta, or Opera. Just depends on what I'm doing, and/or which browser I need to be using.
  4. Jun 29, 2008
  5. Mar 2, 2010
    There's an extension like ABP, but I'm not sure about noscript. I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, so it blocks all the ads and shit like that. Plus, I have OpenDNS, and a VPN if all else fails. Not all that worried about it.
  6. Aug 8, 2008
    i am cool too? y/n?
  7. Dec 30, 2006
  8. Mar 2, 2010
    lulz. IE is like the retarded kid that comes in last, and still thinks he won.
  9. Jun 4, 2006
    I don't give a shit about acid tests, I give a shit about security and right now FF is top dog (it also has a waaay better mouse gestures addon). I suppose you COULD run Chrome in a sandbox but sandboxie is a bitch, having to recover every downloaded file and the like, it gets annoying fast. GeSWall would be ideal but there's no 32bit version out, thus I'm fucked until v3.0 comes along. Chrome has some nice cute extensions like facebook photo auto-zoom but someone desperately needs to code a noscript and a good abp for it.. the ones it has suck pure ass. If chrome gets a bigger/better community based on developing extensions, then I can see it MAYBE overcoming Firefox, especially if it begins kicking firefox's ass resource wise and visually. Chrome right now uses far more resources than firefox (open 10 instances of 10 different websites in firefox, then do the same in Chrome, add up all the Chrome.exe's and compare to firefox's). Unless they've done some major work on the Chrome beta then it should use more mem than firefox.

Chrome
    - Fast
    - Sleek
    - Some cool extensions, very little useful ones
    - Horrible ABP ports
    - No noscript
    - Uses a lot of memory depending on # of tabs
    - Has mouse gesture extensions but none of them are as good as All in One gestures for FF
    - Some extensions are simply poorly coded and don't work very well, this can be true for FF as well, but from my experience faulty extensions are far more common with Chrome.

Firefox
    - Fast (for me anyway, I hear people having firefox take forever to open, it's always instant for me though)
    - Can be sleek if you customize it, has tons of customization options (with addons as well), more so than Chrome
    - A lot of useful extensions (mouse gestures, security, etc), a lot of cool ones, not sure if anyone has developed a facebook photo-zoom yet though heh
    - ABP
    - Noscript
    - Less memory use (presuming you're not on a shitty build that has a memory leak... eek)

Personally I don't like firefox 4 beta at all, I really hope they make some strides with it before releasing it... :confused: Chrome is good but it's just not catered to my personal preferences yet.
  10. May 11, 2010
    Brian, I totally agree. I just made the switch from IE8 to Fox 3.6.8 and it's a much better browser. Hasn't crashed on me once yet (IE was doing it multiple times a day) and it's much more civilized to my system when I have multiple tabs open (which is every hour of every day). The add-ons are better (all you need to know about is ABP/Noscript/FastestFox/Integrated GMail and we're done with the conversation). It does have some small flaws, though:

- It's not really that much faster. It just takes up less resources. This in theory makes it faster (and I do notice it in some situations), but it's like going from 400hp to 410hp. Only the benchmarks notice.

- Even though you check a box to "perform this function automatically" when opening/downloading a file type (use WinRAR for .rar, for example), all Firefox does is remember the program you selected. You still have to tell it to open/download the file.

- Bookmark organization (i loved the bookmark toolbar in IE8) (this is mitigated by using the Google Toolbar New Tab Page)

Anyway, long story short, FF is the way to go right now. I really want to join the Chrome bandwagon (and further sell my soul to Google), but there just isn't the community for it yet. From what I read, there isn't a ton of flexibility with the program, so they may need to open up options in order to grow the community and give the same kind of add-on flexibility.
  11. Apr 9, 2007
  12. Mar 2, 2010
    Doesn't really matter which browser I use, I love KIS. It even takes out the ads in Youtube videos.

Also, woot @ V8 being faster than JIT. :grin:

Chrome is getting better. People are beginning to make more stuff for it. There's been new extensions coming out lately. There's only a few (and I mean a few) add-ons available for Firefox 4. They have a compatibility reporter so that it will send reports to the owner of the add-on to tell them it's incompatible, etc. Have to go to the add-ons section to send the report to them, and tell them why it's incompatible (what's not working, or it's just not working period). They're getting a lot of user feedback.

The one thing I have noticed about FF4 is that it takes significantly longer for it to start up than 3.6.x did. Pretty sure this is because of all of the eye candy that they're trying to implement. They have a study that you can run that will collect stats on the performance of components in the browser for a week or so, and then send it to them to show the speed and such of each component. They're learning how to be a better open-source browser. I don't see Google doing anything like this in Chrome 5 beta. It's pretty nice, but it needs some work on the launch time.

I'm pretty disappointed in the graphics performance getting a 97/100 on acid3, while Chrome and Opera, even IE 9's platform preview gets 100/100. For it to be an open-source browser, it should be ahead of these other browsers by far.
  13. Jun 4, 2006
    Yea but at what expense? KIS can be pretty heavy on resources. ABP takes ads off youtube videos as well, and it's just a filter list.
  14. Mar 2, 2010
    KIS has gotten a lot better at resources. It's running 2 processes right now. One is at 2.3MB RAM usage, the other is at 7.8MB RAM usage. They also have the gaming mode now, which is nifty. Keeps updates and stuff from running when you're in a game.
  15. Jun 4, 2006
    I ran KIS 2010 and it was bloated as a mother fucker, was there an update or some shit? Or do you just have a ton of shit disabled?
  16. Mar 2, 2010
    I have everything enabled. I don't know why it would have acted sluggish for you. I never have a problem with it.
  17. Jun 4, 2006
    A ton of people have reported problems with KIS, especially boot times. It slowed my boot time significantly. Some people report boot times of 10 mins. Doesn't make any sense, especially given the hardware of some of the comps it's happened on. Slowed my boot time, made all my applications open slower, just brought my system way down. No one has any idea why, it's like it chooses random victims.
  18. Mar 2, 2010
    My CPU usage is sitting at like.. 10-30%, and most of that is because I have music streaming. I can restart in ~2 minutes.
  19. Jul 25, 2010

Firefox + Noscript + Sandboxie

I have found nothing more secure, noscript blocks about already a bunch of the 0day exploits, but when with sandboxie there has to be less then 1% chance or none that you are going to be hit with a 0day that passes noscript and sandboxie at one go.

Forgot to mention...

With aslr... With aslr you are 100% and yes 100% due to random memory locations now no exploit could know the address in memory for a exploit to hit. All that after getting passed noscript+sandboxie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_space_layout_randomization
  20. Mar 2, 2010
    Noscript and ABP are two of the few plugins that are available for FF4. TamperData also works, even though it says it's incompatible. Maybe they'll mark it as compatible once they get enough confirmations.