Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Buff the mother zombie!

Discussion in CS:S Zombie Mod started by Momo, Sep 30, 2012

1. Oct 29, 2010
    I've tossed the idea around before, mostly to Josh, but I wanted to hear what others had to say about it.

If you look at the stats for ZM, you'll find that our server is ridiculously human sided. I'm sure there are several reasons for this. New mappers (seriously, I love you guys) seem to focus more on a multitude of maps instead of working to balance their existing maps properly, again, the stats page speaks volumes on this. Another problem is the huge base of idiots who think NOT backstabbing makes the game more fun, but I've gone down that road and it's a lost cause.

A solution I'm looking to explore is to make the mother zombie much stronger, I've always felt the mother zombie was meant to have more of an impact in the game. The way it stands now, the mother zombies can do some good but it seems very situational. Currently, the mother zombie can be selected in zclass, this would need to be changed if we buffed it significantly. It would be nice to leave the witch as a choice still, as it's hit boxes are useful for certain things, so ideally I would like a new model for the mother zombie (fleshpound... @Josh :razz:) I don't think is has to be super complex, higher health, much less knockback, at least donor jump height, but no regen (we do want them to die off eventually.)

I love playing as a zombie, but as time goes on it becomes harder and harder to enjoy it because of this vast imbalance.

I'd love to hear what you guys think, whether you think something else should be buffed, something completely different with the mother zombie, or even if you think ZM is just fine.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Good Idea Good Idea x 1
    • Apr 9, 2007
      I think we just need more balanced maps, zm_ur_alpha3_pf was pretty good in this regard.
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • May 31, 2012
      • Apr 9, 2007
        According to the stats page, we have Nine (9) Winnable maps for Zombies. The rest have the Humans winning the majority of the time. I'm not even sure if the maps are on rotation still, so it's possible the number is much lower with all of those _SAJAX_FIX maps.

Just since Percentages aren't Haplo's thing, we have 114 recorded maps.

((9/114) * 100) renders 7.89% of all maps are winnable for Zombies. 92.11% are above the 50% threshold, and are human sided.
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • May 31, 2012
        • Mar 12, 2008
          I seemed to be able to take a mother zomb pretty easily today. Might just be the zm settings, but i got a couple headshots with the mp5. I know, im leet.

I vote for less knockback if it happens. health seems fine, they get a lot of health per kill and usually spawn on a human group, so I dont think its an issue, much. I could, however, be wrong. Extra jump height might be a nono momo. Seems too OP imo.

Make them dual wield cactuses.
        • May 14, 2012
          an easy solution would be to get rid of friendly zombies and people who dont backstab.
        • Oct 29, 2010
          The current mother zombie (the witch) has donor jump.
          Never going to happen.
        • Nov 11, 2011
          And you propose this... how? Atleast in my atix remake, I made it so that if humans and zombies both go into the helicopter, as soon as they enter the bunker, the zombies are automatically slayed. I don't see any viable option to implement your suggestion unless we make not backstabbing illegal. I doubt this will ever happen.

EDIT: Seems Momo beat me to it by 9 minutes... how I have no clue.
        • Mar 12, 2008
        • Oct 29, 2010
        • Aug 2, 2010
          I'll agree with Momo on this one... and that one.
        • Apr 9, 2012
          I was thinking for some time to make a ZM map, so it's pretty interesting to follow this discussion So what you guys want is both the maps being better balanced as well as teh zombies?
          In any any case, regarding the editting maps, this is actually not allowed (at least when you post it on GB where they have a license) and you should ask permission for it In any case, I don't care if you do it or not as long as it wouldn't be one of my maps :pirate:
        • Oct 29, 2010
          A hefty portion of our ZM maps are from mappers in pF, I wasn't implying people should edit other's maps, just that our mappers could spend more time perfecting the maps they put out instead of jumping straight to a new project.
        • Apr 9, 2012

And you are right, I kind of agree. I have somewhat the similar idea for GO maps as we are talking about this subject. I feel that instead of porting some horrible maps that were very bad, they could at least remake it far better with all the knowledge and progress we have encountered since the last years.

As a mapper myself I do know the feeling of mappers that just leave their map alone once it is somewhat playable, but it would be lovely to see some of them updated. For ze_cathedral I should have already updated it for a long time, but right now SSBB is nearly close to release so I currently cannot work on it. However, that's simply because I'm busy with another map. Many mappers simply are tired of the maps they made, especially if they have spent a long time working on it (*cough* Minas *cough*) and that's somewhat regrettable... but I could understand it somehow
        • Oct 29, 2010
          While it would be awesome to see more balancing and updating of current maps, I completely understand the lack of desire to painstakingly work over the same map time in and time out, that's why I wanted to try something on the other side of the fence with the mother zombie buff.
        • Jun 18, 2012
          I used to play a lot on ZM back in the days, and some problems always keep coming back. I have no clue about this servers settings. But knowing ZM and hearing that CT's win 90% of the time there could be a few things changed:

1. You could give the zombies a !zsolid command. This way zombies can form a train on the sewer pipes or other vents in order to get inthere without being shot back every second. Also they could make towers. A massive downside on this is that it can be trolled by pretty much locking a vent for T's if they get inthere (solid), and other T's used their solid command already. Also I think T's can get stuck in eachother if they type the command and are in another solid zombie.

2. Another possibilty I've seen in the past are SPIDERS. Yes I know it's just a skin, but being a spider on a server I used to play, you'd have VERY little knockback, the disadvantage you'd have was very little speed. But of course you could change this in whatever way this is desired (like you all know).

3. Another solution might be powering up the ability for zombies to break cades. I don't know if you can power up the ability to push things away with E, but giving a bit more push might result in a lot of fataly wrong shots of CT's in the cades. Which screws themselves over.

I guess even with or without using these things, you could also just improve the zombies HP and less knockback anyway. However I don't know about the servers settings. Just trying to help here. :wink: It's strange cause ZE zombies are REALLY good on PF ... maybe we should change servers for a day and show the ropes. :wink:
        • Oct 29, 2010
          Currently zombies are always solid on ZM, noblock is only enabled for the very start of the round to avoid the spawn clusterfucks.
          If the spiders were a replacement for the mother zombie, that could work out fine. If they just end up as another zclass, I don't really see the point, they will either end up replacing the half-zombie as the go-to pick or they will occupy the bench like the rest of the current zombies.
          As far as I know this can be done server side. The problem I see, however, is that maps are already so different from one another in regards to cade functionality. Changing cades server side might really mess up some maps, also this change wouldn't effect the numerous non-cading spots at all.
        • Apr 9, 2007
          I'd like to remind everyone this is ZombieMod, not SpookyMod.
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Feb 21, 2007
            i recommend we give the mother zombie noclip for 20 seconds.
            • Agree Agree x 5
            • Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1