Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Buffer overflow?

Discussion in Everything & Anything started by Dubec, Jan 3, 2008

1. Jan 2, 2008
    When the map changes to Nippers, I get this weird error:

Host_EndGame: Buffer overflow in net message

Any clue why? It only happens on the Nippers_Opus map.
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    Did you change any settings in your own client, also did you try doing a full restart of your computer, and steam?

What exactly appear'd in your console. (Copy paste it in here.)
  3. Jun 4, 2006
    Isn't that due to people using mics on that map?

edit: Cam, where's this new server?!
  4. Dec 21, 2007
    Ya its when to many people are talking on their mics
  5. Posts
    Buffer overflow happens when people feel the need to talk on the mic at the same time.

Which is usually why I go on a muting spree, until people get my point.
  6. Apr 9, 2007
    I was reading around and I saw that it is caused by that Sauce, But the fact that he only got it and posted it here means something also doesn't it? Such as maybe bandwidth limitations?

Bah I'm not making sense am I :mellow:
  7. Jun 4, 2006
    The box has "unlimited" bandwidth, more like a ton.
  8. Posts
    Server bandwidth has nothing to do with that error.
  9. Apr 9, 2007
    I was talking about his home connection, nothing to do with the plaguefest dedicated box.
  10. Posts
    Yeah, it's more of a client problem than anything.

Check your rates. Your rates may be too low, or perhaps too high.

Post them in here.
  11. Jan 2, 2008
    What appear in my console was the same text as the dialog box that popped up.
    (Host_EndGame: Buffer overflow in net message)
    Nothing else came up in the console before or after that was relevant to the error. I restarted my computer afterwards, and it happened again. By the time I was done registering here and posting the first message, the server had changed maps and I haven't had the error since. I haven't change any settings in my client, I'm running it on whatever the defaults are.

What rates? My connection is set to DSL/Cable > 2 MBPS, which is correct for my connection. Should I change this setting?
  12. Apr 9, 2007
    Your rates are more like:
    rate 30000
    cl_cmdrate 30
    cl_updaterate 20

(you can view your rates in your console by putting rate/cmdrate/updaterate and looking at the drop down menu.
  13. Mar 23, 2008
    i thought this happened when 2-10 talked at the same time and spammed so u hear heyeaGTthatFOUoohheadsFUCKotiownedGETLOLCKOUT