Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Build complete

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Viva La Border Patrol, Sep 24, 2011

1. Oct 22, 2007
    So build at first never was going to have water cooling involved, but i always wanted to get into it. Sadly water cooling is like crack and you wanna keep doing something to improve it or make it look better in your opinion. Building it was a pain, but honestly it was alot of fun putting it together. Here are some pics of things i did and how they turned out. Yes i know the cards aren't done, i am debating on doing it, but that involves some mod work (cutting case on bottom, installing grill, etc) and more cash, which doesn't help. Happy about the temps with every thing that is cooled though. Which is mobo, cpu, and ram. Prime at 64 and idles 32-39 at ambient.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

How it looks at night

[IMG]
  2. Mar 12, 2008
    Add an Alienware logo on the side and sell it to someone for $7k then rebuild your current one.

It's a sexy beast. I just wish i had the know-how to build my own.
  3. Aug 18, 2006

Should have gotten a Sandy Bridge setup though (saw that x58 motherboard :razz:) Still. Looks epic, and that's probably some of the best cable management I've seen.
  4. Jun 30, 2011
    I just got a boner, my computer is complete shit compared to that.
  5. Oct 22, 2007
    I had a 950 till it crapped on my so i went x58 and also if you run multi gpu it is better having x58. The clear pic with no cards and cables hanging out was just to show the tubes etc in day time, cables are way better than that. The case honestly does all the cable management for you (800d), although the thing is ungodly massive.

Forgot to mention due to crossfire and cards sitting on top of each other i got a longer xfire cable to run x16 instead of x16 and x8. Also lets that top 6970 get air instead of that small gap which makes it run 10c hotter :\.

But thanks ray, building it and learning how to do a good overclock (4ghz), was an awsome learning experience.
  6. Oct 22, 2007
    Taters, buiding them is f'n easy man... You can easily do it by watching a few builds of how people do it and if you know how to install windows and work in bios just a bit you can save a ton of money...

Shutters at calling it a dell, jk
  7. Feb 21, 2007
    Looks very nice viva. But honestly....(imo) watercooling the motherboard and ram is a waste. It adds alot of restriction to your flow and only minimal if any performance gains. You would be better served if you cooled the cpu and both gfx cards, and then just had some halfway decent case fans for case airflow to cool mobo and ram.

I've got mysetup watercooled and have the cpu and gpu on water. They both sit around 40-44 (depending on ambient temp) degrees C under full load (F@H).

I suppose if you are gonna do some crazy volt settings on mobo or something, watercooling might be of benefit then...

But you did a nice job over all man. Now have fun finding a nice little spot you like between temps and overclock :thumbsup:

also, what cpu do u have
  8. Oct 22, 2007
    i was only gonna do cpu in the start and well you see how that turned out. I vreg was 45 or so and so was the NB on air. Dropped them down to 26ish on both of them after adding the full mobo block, but it also added 5-7c on my gpu side, due to all that heat dumping into my loop. Ram was done to make a clean look honestly, as well as get rid of fan sitting on dominator ram. Volt wise the vcore is 1.32 with vdroop on, vtt 1.3 with 4ghz oc with temps stated above. So happy with that part. The cards i wanna do, but that is 250 in blocks for them, and around 300 with all parts to make another loop for my cards alone. Figure once my cards are seperated the temps will drop for them and honestly they are not loud, so it's kinda hard to justify doing more, unless it's just to do it for the mod factor and experience.
  9. Feb 21, 2007
    thats true. My gtx 580 was super loud at full load, and since i keep it at 100% all the time, water was naturally the way to go.

Also, if you added both those cards, you would probably need another pump and radiator. But each setup is unique. So nice job on yours.
  10. Oct 22, 2007
    i would have another 240 added into the bottom of the case and i have my d5 pump on 4 and it pounds water through my loop now as it is. I think i could add the 2 gpus and rad and set it on 5 and have no issues with flow. Besides there is a limit to flow helping and not mattering.

Also 100percent fan speed is crazy, dunno why you even bothered having it that high, hell i can run my 6970 at 20percent fan speed, gets hot with them on top of each other atm so 50ish works fine and still easy on the ears.
  11. Jan 10, 2009
    is that a QDC you have on the short tubes coming off of the res?