Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Building a rendering beast.

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Cat, Aug 25, 2016

1. Oct 13, 2011
    I need to build or buy a desktop for rendering purposes. I want it to be flawless, no lag at all etc.

What should I do ? Build one from scratch or just buy this thing right here:

An alienware with these specs is around $2.5k w/out any monitor. Also gonna need new monitors.

Intel Core i7-6700k processor 4 Cores, 8mb cache, turbo boost 2.0
    32GB DDR4 at 2133mhz
    GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X

Halp pls.
  2. Apr 9, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dec 30, 2006
      Just build your own if you have the knowledge to. You know the parts you put in and the quality. If you buy premade, the PSUs they include are offbrand. Unless you buy from specific companies that specialize at gaming comps, aka Origin or whatnot.
    • Jul 8, 2012

In all seriousness, build it yourself. You can almost always (like 90% of the time) get a better deal for better parts. Especially if you want the best possible machine you can get.
    • Mar 8, 2011
      yeah build your own. you can be amazed what you can do with 500-800 bucks if you know what you are doing.
    • Jun 11, 2012
      Get a mac no lie. 3K you can get a great one.

Our designers uses mac for rendering/photoshop/dicks

Go PC if you want to multi-task with games
    • Jul 13, 2011

I built mine here, its really simple. You go through the PC list and you choose every component you need, it shows the best prices from every website so you can build a pretty good PC for around 700-1000 bucks man. I suggest looking into it.

Good luck on your findings.
    • Jul 8, 2012
      You can always buy a cheaper PC that does the same as a mac for less. Always. Not to say a mac is a bad idea, but you will always get better performance with custom building vs Apple.
    • Dec 30, 2006
      We're all looking at it only on the hardware point of view. You're half paying for the software suite that's custom to Apple. It really depends if you go with Adobe, Vegas, or FCP..

But either way, you won't win with one side. Both sides have their pros and cons.

But Zenballs is right.
      • Like Like x 1
      • Jul 8, 2012
        True. Though if you're looking to spend the least and still get a professional output Apple isn't the choice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
      • Oct 13, 2011
        Can you tell me why ? I used to hate it too, then I got one. Its fine ?

Also, thanks for the replies all. Im still searching, and @Benderius no bigmac pro
      • Dec 30, 2006
        Anything not built by Kyle deserves to die in a fire. Computers, servers, plugins, router firmwares, any type of software.....the list goes on.
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jul 8, 2012
          In terms of PC hardware, Alienware is about as good as Apple. Alienware is owned by dell (or was, I'm too lazy to check but pretty sure still is) so you're paying for a premium much like buying Apple computers.

TL;DR Alienware is a premium and @Bendsex loves @Sexpenis
        • Dec 30, 2006
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Dec 6, 2011
            Holy shit please no Apple just run Hackintosh and save the $1,000 for blackjack and hookers

via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2wyWPBRfxY

Non-sale pricing:
            i7 6700k ~$330
            GTX 1080 $599 MSRP
            32GB ram ~$100-120
            $1,450 left for PSU, case, storage, CPU cooler

With Dellienware's notorious use of shitty brands that'd be:
            Mobo <$70
            PSU <$60
            Overly branded case with shitty neon light mods and poor air circulation <$75
            Storage <$120 (hdd&ssd)
            CPU cooler $25

Yo Dell where'd the $1,100 go

lets see how quick i can do this, time me fam @Cat

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wvk6r7
            Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wvk6r7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ B&H)
            CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
            Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($73.99 @ Newegg)
            Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
            Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
            Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
            Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card ($595.99 @ SuperBiiz)
            Case: Zalman Z3 Plus White ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
            Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
            Total: $1269.69
            Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
            Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-25 18:20 EDT-0400

Better Mobo, better CPU cooler, better memory, better PSU, in fact a 10 year warranty PSU, from a company that actually replaces other hardware from a PSU fault.

$1,219.69 after $50 in MIR, $20 from case, $20 from PSU, $10 from CPU cooler. EDIT for Secproctologist: WHEN YOU GET MIR MONEY, USE IT TO BUY SSD, 240GB is about $50-$60

Your fucking move Dell. Next customer please
            • Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
              Brett, Aug 25, 2016 Last edited by Brett, Aug 25, 2016
            • Dec 30, 2006
              Where's the SSD? What madness is this with this seagate drive...
            • Dec 6, 2011
              Just comparing to Dellienware shitbuilt, just use the MIR monies to buy a 120GB SSD w/o spending cash or a 240GB for $10 more. I'll edit to please
            • Jun 11, 2012
              I recommend Apple always for the sake of the OS and the speed that a 2.5K MBP offers for a designers doing heavy rendering, photoshops, and animators. As a dev, MBP allows me to target more platforms, more tools, and just a better keyboard. There are no laptop that are as light, battery efficient, and great hardware like the MBP. The portability of it allows me to make it my All-In-One systems.

Except if you want to game on it, then you shit out of luck. But you're old now, give up gaming. Get urself a PS4 and come play Destiny with moi.

pcpartpicker, build ur stuff, post it here, get feedback, tweak it, order it, assemble it, cry, call luff and tell him to check ur funky moves. Ask for help

Cheers,
              Harambae
              Benderius, Aug 26, 2016 Last edited by Benderius, Aug 26, 2016
            • Nov 29, 2010
              That's at least $1500 worth of parts right there. Go to pcpartpicker, they can help you with building a computer from scratch by finding discounts and mail in rebates.

Never buy name-brand prebuilt computers, there is always a mark-up from the brands. Especially Apple and Alienware.