Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Building or just want to know about a PC? Click HERE! (Updated 2015)

Discussion in Tutorials started by Brett, Apr 14, 2012

1. Dec 6, 2011

The very first thing you will want to do is familiarize yourself with all of the general parts to a computer. It's actually not as complicated as it seems once you grasp the basic concepts, it's really just attaching a few parts to a motherboard and tossing it inside of a case.

The most basic computer will have a motherboard (mobo), a processor (CPU) with the appropriate CPU cooler, random access memory (RAM), power supply (PSU), hard disk drive (HDD), and optical drive all housed inside of a PC case.

Higher performance computers (e.g. gaming PCs) may have graphics processing units (GPUs), Solid State Drives (SSDs), aftermarket CPU coolers, aftermarket fans; even some will have fan controllers, add-on cards for things such as WiFi, and drive expansions.

============================================

For a visual idea of a computer build, Newegg has their own "How to build a PC" videos that I highly recommend watching. These videos are very helpful and important to watch if you want to learn how to build a computer.

For an example build, I'll use this next-gen console destroyer:
    CPU - AMD FX6300 $99.99
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-78LMT MicroATX AM3+ $44.99 w/ MIR
    RAM - Team (2x4GB) DDR3 @1600 $51.99
    GPU - Sapphire Dual-X R9 280 3GB $150.99 w/ MIR
    PSU - EVGA 500 B 80+ Bronze (500W) $34.99 w/ MIR
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB $51.99
    Case - Tt V3 Black Edition $22.99 w/ MIR
    Total - $457.83

OPTIONAL:
    Boot SSD w/ room for a handful of games/programs - Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB (240GB) $54.99 ($86.99)
    HDD if more space is needed - Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2TB) [3TB] - $51.99 ($76.99) [$99.99]

Part Explanations:
    CPU - This is the best bang for you buck right here. the FX6300 6-core CPU is just reaching into the high-end CPUs so it doesn't bottleneck while staying fairly cheap.
    Motherboard - The Mobo isn't all that fancy, but gets you the basics for killing the next-gen consoles.
    RAM - The RAM is just whatever is cheap, this one I chose is at that lowest $50 point while having a nice heat spreader on it (you know, in case you live in Arizona or something).
    GPU - The R9 280 3GB was a must have for it's price (280's are normally ~$190-$200 and with the next cheapest 270X being only $134.99). Besides, the extra GB of VRAM will come in handy.
    PSU - This was a no brainer for the current MIR available. Nothing other than that, the 80+Bronze is nice.
    HDD - Your basic mass storage. You could always pick up an SSD and use it as a boot drive to speed things up, so you'd have your OS on there with a couple programs, and the rest on your hard drive.
    Case - This is mainly just personal preference. I wouldn't pass up a normal ATX mid tower for $23 though.

These aren't written in stone obviously since prices and promos change constantly. There's always a similar, if not better, offers out there for some of these parts if they aren't the discounted price at a later point. It's all just about looking out for the good deals. Like a $20 MIR on a $50 PSU, or a R9 280 GPU that's normally $190 for $150. Even the case was a steal for it normally being $40-$50. Also, for a comparison of GPUs at about the same price point, the GTX 750 Ti vs. the R9 280, and the GTX 760 vs. the R9 280.

For up to date build ideas, check out the PC Master Race build page: http://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds . Here you'll find various builds at different price points, updated constantly by knowledgeable people.

And that covers just about all of the basics, or if you any questions feel free to post them here or message me. I'll be happy to help. :smile:
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
      Brett, Apr 14, 2012 Last edited by Brett, May 14, 2015
    • Oct 17, 2011
      I am still having trouble with my pc and the forums and all the Internet explorer. Gaming works fine. Also, updated java and turned it on. Still, I can't watch any videos or post anything or log in to sb.Do you know any link that can help please?
    • Feb 9, 2012
      so @Quietly Yell would your recommended build be better than my current laptop? because it sounds real cheap and great, but im not too sure about computers to understand it fully yet.

My current specs:

Windows 7
      Model: Ideapad Y560
      Processor: Intel i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60 GHz (8 cpus) ~ 1.6 Ghz
      Memory : 4096 MB RAM
      Graphic Card : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 (2 GB)

On high settings in CS:S i don't run it perfectly but you did say your build will allow it to run it in max settings pretty great. so i was just wondering.
    • Feb 12, 2012
      So Quietly Yell I'm having problems while playing ZE, some people are saying its my Processor, problem is idk which processor is good and Idk how to replace it. Any help is appreciated thanks!
    • Jul 19, 2011
      LOL!!!!!!!! parrot bay?!?! good one
    • Mar 12, 2008
      Yes, the PARROT BAY,because anything that sound similar to that is frowned upon on these forums... legally speaking.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      I recommend Google Chrome, it's a lot cleaner, and it runs a lot better based on my experiences with IE. Does it mention anything about not having a flash player? Post your computer's specs, and make sure you trouble shoot the problem, eliminate possible problems. Try to explain what stops working/etc.

I've never been a big fan of laptops since they cost a bit more just to be mobile, you shouldn't really ever need one unless you travel a lot, or are a college student who needs to take notes in class or something like that.

Also, the build I posted is just something I compiled to show you what an example would be, you could combine a bunch of other hardware based on what you like/want. You shouldn't have to worry if you don't know much about computers, the first one I built, I only used a little 15min youtube video on how to build a computer :silly: It turned out fine.

That example build I posted is great indeed, the 6870 is probably about 150-170% better than my temporary 6770 that I have right now, and I've yet to play a game where I can't run max settings. Though the obvious games I can't run max are pretty much just Metro 2033, BF3, and the sort. The 6870 should be able to run max settings on 1920x1080 res on BF3 with just a small tiny bit of lagg (you're avg. is going to be roughly 24-28 fps on BF3, which isn't noticeable at all really). Hell, if you're just going to play CS:S, you could easily get away with a 6770, which you can find for probably $70 (MIR included).

All in all, grab a desktop for 300% the performance of a laptop that's the same price.

Post some system specs man. You have to be a shitload more specific lol.

I seriously thought that I was being too obvious, but then Herpa-Derpscope came along :bomb:
    • Feb 12, 2012
      Will do so tomorrow when I'm near my computer.
    • Feb 18, 2011
      Yeah, your laptop is outdated from the looks. My Sony Viao is identical in terms of specs and does shitty. Anything in the 68~ series will do you some good. You could also go different, get a different video card and make even better. Builds nowadays rely on the videocards the most, so the higher the number, the better you will do.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      Bitch you rate me late then double answer Trigger? :clown:

Jk'ing. Also not necessarily the bigger the better, you can have things like bottlenecks, or just paying too much for a little performance boost.
    • Feb 18, 2011
      Yeah. But I can put any new card in my current build and it would only do better. x6 1035t, 750 psu, 1tb 5000 rpm, some pre-built mobo, and it's stock card was a 5450. If I put a 580 in here I would have epicness as opposed to my 260, it would be babies.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      So that means... 9800 GT is best? :grin:!
      [IMG]
    • Oct 17, 2011
      When I post something, it just says please enter a valid message and just keeps loading for 2 or 3 hours then give the reply
    • Feb 18, 2011
      Plug in 9800 for n and tell me what a is.
      a is the number of gfx shits that get inside you.

Use common sense though, bigger number=better in its own version of cards.
    • Dec 6, 2011
      @Brian ? Sounds like something on your end, any insight?
    • Feb 9, 2012
      Yeh i know my laptop is a bit outdated by now, i actually bought it for around 800 dollars in 2008 or 2009. When you guys talk about your computers i feel lame since my comp is nowhere near as fast xD but i know it's not horrible, it's pretty average if anything but having a faster one is nice.

Im using a laptop since this is pretty much my first laptop, it was a nice change of pace as im able to bring it around if i go somewhere and have it with me (sometimes i sleep over my gf's house and i bring it with me or i bring it for college inbetween classes or w/e or going to a friend's house) but yeh i know a desktop is much better and you can easily replace/change parts unlike laptops
    • Dec 6, 2011
      I just had to, you were like a sitting duck! Though whenever I try to tell somebody/teach them about graphics cards, I try to stay away from that term, can mess up some things. Like if somebody is unfamiliar with series, they may think a GTX 520 is better than a GTX 480, or a 6350 is better than a 5970, shit like that.

It's basically just the fact that the parts cost a lot less. Though I do love carrying something around, I do actually plan on getting something like a $1,200 Alienware. It's nice to sit on your bed and do things, or sit outside in the hot sun on the lounge chair next to the pool (though you gotta make sure you have good cooling, I've seen things heat up FAST that way :ROFL:). If your serious about a new computer, just let me know about your budget, what you want to be able to play/run, and I'll help you every step of the way. :thumbsup:
    • May 14, 2011
      I do not recommend bulldozer. Its a load of bollocks. Get the old generation CPUs. When the bulldozer was released they stopped producing my CPU (1100T x6) and it jumped in price from £130GBP to £210GBP.

To all those PC noobs out there, Building a PC is like black magic but once you realise how to do it its just like lego.
    • Jun 18, 2012
      Don't want to be a necro or whatever, but are there any sites or videos or whatever which actually explain what makes X videocard/motherboard/RAM/ whatever better than Y. I read the post once when you put it in your sig and it seems this more ''precise'' information is missing? I'd actually like to know slightly more about PC than the basic-basics (and probably less).
    • Dec 6, 2011
      There's no necro'ing, it contributes to the thread since you're asking a perfectly reasonable question. What exactly are you looking for? There are benchmarks that many websites do for things such as CPUs, GPUs, SSDs, and even smartphones. Here's an example of me comparing a 7970 to a GTX 680: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/770?vs=772 . It gives you a variety of games and numerous statistics about each card, allowing you to look at the performance more closely. The Thing about the 7970 vs. the GTX 680, you also need to factor in things such as overclock-ability. Since the 7970 is stock clocked at around 925MHz, and can easily overclock to 1200MHz with the correct settings and cooling, while the GTX 680 can only go from about 1050MHz (stock) to about 1150-1175MHz with correct settings and cooling, the 7970 would beat it out in the long run in price AND performance if you get the most out of it.

There's not really a way you can just look at the GPU directly and say "this will be faster than this", there's a lot of testing and benchmarking you have to look at to tell the difference between parts.

RAM doesn't really differ that much from others, the overclocked RAM you always see for insane prices is never worth it. RAM is RAM, you buy whatever is the cheapest with a decent heatsink at the current normal clock speeds (1600Mhz). With motherboards, you want reliability and options. If you compare a $400 deluxe motherboard to a generic $100 motherboard, you'll see that the $400 motherboard would have more fan headers, USB 3.0 ports and headers, more PCI-e x16 slots, no speed loss upon crossfire/SLI (most boards default to x8 speeds on the PCI-E slots when you use more than one for crossfire or SLI). The more expensive board would also probably have better heatsinks and possibly more RAM slots (8 instead of 4).