Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Buying Admin

Discussion in Counter-Strike: Source started by Dirtbag, Jun 8, 2011

1. May 15, 2011
    This isn't the first community I have joined before so this comes from experience.

I believe the process of gaining admin abilities should be a little more thorough than just paying and getting it right away.
    We constantly have admin abuse and more recently the Ðiรpเคy ツ incident.
    I think it might be in the best interest of the entire community to make admin harder to get.
    Yes, I know you need your money and all, I'm just saying maybe filling out some kind of form?
    Run them through a test that is dry and boring. Hell, make them write a paragraph as to why they would be a good admin would work.
    But anything more than what is now in place would greatly help to keep those kinds of people out.

I've seen communities go rotten from the inside out because of an unstable player base.
    I must say this has to be the cleanest and most organized community I've ever seen, and that you've been running for over 4 years is quite an achievement.
    Steam Gamers doesn't even have such a warm and close community as you guys do. They treat every one as dirt and only care about who is at the top.
    I came here and was accepted by the players and admins alike. I was not expecting that. I thought it would just be a one time play on some random server.
    But no, the friendly atmosphere brought me back again and again. I became well known with some of the admins and now play regularly.
    And no, I'm not posting this cause I don't think you guys need the money. I'm saying this cause I don't want to see such a great community fall like the rest.
    Or even be like SG which is just filled with dick munchers now.

I've been given the privilege of admin cause I am helping with tasks that no one else seems to be bothered about (I'm talking to you mappers!) and am gradually becoming more involved in the community.
    Now yes. I know plenty of admins that do take their responsibilities seriously even though they were not commemorated and pay because they want to and that's great, but not everyone is like that.

Sure this time the incident wasn't too bad. But what about next time?
    Will it be so easy? Or will it leave a mark?
  2. Feb 23, 2011
    I know what you mean Dirt, even I keep thinking the same thing everytime I read a admin abuse.
  3. Jun 8, 2011
    we all love u dirtbag!!.. but not every1 has been fixed im still banned =[ im sitting here bored out my mind...
  4. Feb 23, 2011
    you got banned from everywhere SOV ? ZM1/ZM2/GG/MG/ZE
  5. Jun 4, 2006
    Ease of access and instant gratification are important, but you're right it is a risk and it's something we've been looking into as we plan the new website. One idea from I forget who was they get donator and then when a trainer is ready they get bumped up to level 1 (problem with this is a head admin must be present to manually change the admin's level). Another reason for instant access is getting trained can sometimes take days (this is almost always dependent on the new admin not being proactive, not the availability of our trainers, training is delayed a few hours due to trainer availability, not days) - in the event it does take more than a day, said admin can't say his subscription service was cut short by x days after purchasing and/or complain. One thing that MIGHT work is if Kyle or someone was able to develop a level 1 command that when issued changed a current Donator to Level 1 - e.g., "!1 Dirtbag" - this would eliminate the need for root admins to be present, but opens up the possibility of LSA's misusing the command (though I'm 99.9% sure none of them ever would, but hey who knows... anyone could go rogue). Another reason for instant addition of admins is it also controls instant removal upon expiration - this single advancement has helped us keep admin subs up to date, which was impossible to do before and half of our admins were not paying (and hadn't been for a while).

TL;DR we want it to be easy to get admin but secure and we're looking for viable solutions to integrate into the new site... bit harder than it looks though.

I was going to reply to this and say "Our 5 year birthday is June 4th" and then it hit me... :shock:hmy: I fucken missed PF's 5 year anniversary/birthday!!! SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.... ah well, watchugunndoo
  6. Feb 23, 2011
  7. Apr 13, 2011
    I'm not saying that I have a problem with anybody we have now as admin,
    but can you please place a future age limit on who can become admin?

Right now we're lucky with our admins (they're all awesome) but...
    I can see the future and it involves a whiny spoiled 13 year old with his mom's credit card buying admin one day and NEVER SHUTTING UP.
  8. Sep 26, 2010
    I've said this in multiple threads and to multiple people but I would go so far as to establishing a time frame for purchasing admin because that's what I did :razz: and it's worked well so far! Basically we would advocate purchasing donator first so a player (hopefully having played for 1-4 months before purchase) could master the skins and really get to know the community/rules/maps/etc. A player could then purchase admin to support a community they truly want to help after 1-4 months of donator...IMO that would rule out the bad eggs before they hatch because who would really want to wait that long just to rage on players?
  9. Apr 13, 2011
    Whoops, there goes 90% of admin/donator sales.
  10. May 15, 2011
    Ya, see. We just need a way to make it a little more...of a process. Even if they aren't nice people their money is still good...

Maybe a week of donator? That wouldn't be too bad. But more than that and some people would just get pissy.

Like I can Has. :razz:
  11. Apr 13, 2011

12. May 15, 2011
    Their is alot more behind the scenes we don't see. So our arguments are sort of invalid. :frown:

After what Brian said I don't think their is anything else that could be said.
    So we'll just have to go with what we have.
    I'd like to go scope out other communities and see how they handle these things but I doubt their is another community at this level of integrity.

And just a question: If someone uses a torrented version of Steam, would they not have a steam ID?
    I say this cause SoVeReIgN1 still can't access the servers.

Edit: Oh ya! HAPPY belated FIFTH BIRTHDAY PLAGUE FEST!!!
  13. Jan 12, 2011
    So as to not derail, Plaguefest Anniversary Thread --> http://plaguefest.com/index.php?/topic/6798-plaguefest-anniversary-party/

Still worth saying Happy Belated 5th Anniversary, Plaguefest, though. :razz:
  14. Jul 23, 2010

If people are willing to spend their money to get admin then by all means, the process should be short and simple. We have enacted many things to help admins know the rules and this alone should be prevention enough for these type of instances.

If you are not going to read the rules, you deal with the consequences. When admins go bad, it's a simple fix. We remove them, they don't get a refund, and the situations rarely last more than a day.

I honestly think the system works just fine and see no need to fret and spend extra time implementing more procedures to prevent this. We all know we've removed admins who have been with us for months. There is no way to prevent an admins choice to abuse their powers and ignore the rules. Hell, I've been an admin for almost a year now and I have all the freedom to jump on tonight, ban everyone on the server for no reason, and laugh my ass off while doing so.

We have great admins, and every once in a while we get a bad apple. Most of the time, the abuse threads are either bullshit or misunderstandings. We fix the problem and move on.

We have had these already. Funny thing is, some of them do shut up and become great admins. Some of them are great admins and never shut the fuck up. You know who you are.

I think videos, pages of rules, and the training provided...along with the advice given in game to each admin are well enough tools to mold a good admin.
  15. Mar 16, 2008
    Our subs would drop dramatically if we required admins to pass a test first. It's too complicated at the moment for us to filter people before they give us their money. I was the one who said that we could have them at a donator level until a trainer got to them however this could result in people raging if a trainer isn't on for a few hours. This might be an answer later on when the new site is running if we allow more trainers and limit their ability to bump up only from "Bought" to "Level 1"
  16. Feb 21, 2007
    This has happened before, and they have ALWAYS lost their admin, because they are immature, and break the rules (or are impossible to train)