Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Buying new computer

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by alpha, Jul 12, 2011

1. May 28, 2011
    So when my daddy comes home today, I'l be buying this :

[IMG]

Let me know if you think I should upgrade or change anything. I really only need it for CSS and RIFT :razz: And possibly a few torrents hahah
  2. Mar 31, 2010
    Don't buy an Alienware!!! When they break, you can count yourself lucky if you can get it back within 3 months! lololol
  3. May 16, 2011
    I completely agree with conker on that. Alienware is overrated and overpriced, You can get the same pc probably better parts if you custom built it yourself, which by the way would probably be about a couple hundred bucks cheaper. If you need help setting up a nice little setup parts list you can always message me on steam :smile:

But if you really must get that pc Id say it would most certainly fit all of your gaming / torrenting needs.
  4. Feb 18, 2011
    I'm with Patrick and conker on this, Yes over all it is a decent computer but AlienWare is overrated. It will fit what you want to do with but there are cheaper ways to get something similar.
  5. Oct 27, 2010
    Alienware is exorbitantly expensive... you can get a much better computer much cheaper.

But no one ever cares when any of us say this :confused: ..... oh well.

tl;dr You are being ripped off.
  6. Jun 10, 2011
    All that with 4 gb of ram? lol are you insane? At least go triple channel with 12gb. Listen to everyone here, you are over paying for a name which is not what it used to be. Find a computer shop, bring them the specs and ask what it would cost to build if your not comfortable building it on your own. I would highly suggest building your own. Or if you have any geek friends im sure they would help. If you are set on alienware (garbage) then at least up the RAM and downgrade the video card. You are not going to see any differences with the games you play with a step down from that card.
  7. May 28, 2011
    Well, I don't know about you guys, but my Aurora works brilliantly. One of the graphics cards went corrupt once, and a Dell technician came within two days and replaced the graphics. Also got a 2 year warranty with it for free. Has worked like a dime since. I love it.

So hopefully things will go smoothly like that for you too. :thumbsup:
  8. Jun 11, 2011
  9. Jun 10, 2011

its not the service, its the price tag that was put on the name.
  10. May 28, 2011
    Well, I was replying to Conker about it taking 3 months to get back.

My Aurora will be lasting a long time, so I see it as worth it. But I can understand how you'd all be very careful around price tags. They definitely aren't cheap, though. As you already well know.
  11. May 27, 2008
    I see a Dell computer.. What's Alienware?
  12. Mar 16, 2008
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
    Cheaper than your alienware and you'll +1 me since I have the earlier model of this.

Go for at least 8gb of ram, don't bother with 4.
  13. May 28, 2011
    If you're looking for something with a more modest price range, this is definitely the gaming laptop for you. :yes:
  14. May 28, 2011
    lolz well obviously am not a computer nerd so i dont know how to build it myself :smile:)))
    and that graphics card is a must, im tired of only being able to bhop smoothly on ze when theres <15 people..anymore and i lag so much i am actually slower RUNNING than everybody else, let alone bhopping. the price isnt a problem at all, i just want something that will fit my bhopping needs :wink:

and josh i cannot stand gaming on a laptop, i aready have one anyways. i need a new desktop :razz:

and as for the ram, i could actually go up to 16gb but i wasnt really sure if i needed to go past four. will def upgrade that guys xD

ps vaktus - i loved the black cauldron when i was a kid :razz:
  15. Mar 31, 2010
    That looks quite sick. Nice one Josh. Might get the 3de version.
  16. Jun 27, 2011
    I'd also recommend finding a different brand and upgrading a mid-range computer to match those specs, should be much cheaper. I can't recommend a particular brand though, my desktop is hand-built :razz: .
  17. May 28, 2011
    If the price doesn't matter, you can't go wrong with what you've got. But you should get a bit more RAM, if you ask me. But trust me, coming from an Alienware user, you won't get even the slightest lag on CSS with that.

And I can't game on Laptops either, too small for me. :confused:
  18. May 28, 2011
    yeah im gonna go up to 16gb, unless someone can actually link me to a cheaper one with the same specs :thumbsup:
  19. Jun 27, 2011
  20. Jun 10, 2011
    Actually this is not true. She will still experience lag and bouncing/rubber banding but thats server side with high population on a small map. Even with a 100 dollar video card you should be able to max your CS settings because its an old ass engine. Im just saying your way overpaying for a video card that even the step down will max anything out there (assuming you bump up the ram). But hey its not my money..... If you need to save any kind of money my vote is a step down on the card and up the ram. This rig regardless will run Source and Rift on max settings no matter which card you pick.