Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Can you help shaving a few € off the price on my Gaming PC

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Ant-Dub, May 3, 2013

1. Apr 27, 2013

With some help from Brett and a few others I've ended up with the below Gaming setup, but I'd like to shave a few € off the costs if I can without losing much if any of the performance.

Any suggestions?

The GPU is the only thing I can't change as I'm getting this for a ridiculous price.

I haven't started looking for a Monitor yet or Keyboard & Mouse, any suggestions on these would also be great.

Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer - USB3 (SGC-1000-KWN1)
    ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX ( Z77 Extreme 4 )
    Intel Core i5-3570K ( i5-3570K )
    CPU Cooler
    Coolermaster Seidon 120M, 120*27mm radiator, PWM 600~2400 RPM ( RL-S12M-24PK-R1 )
    Graphics Card
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card ( 02G-P4-2662-KR )
    G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws-X DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz CL9 ( F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL )
    Corsair 750W Enthusiast Series TX750 Modular PSU ( CP-9020040-UK )
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG 256GB 840 PRO SATA 6Gb/SEC INT ( MZ-7PD256BW )
    WD 1TB CAVIAR BLUE 64MB 7200RPM 3.5" D ( WD10EALX )
    Keyboard & Mouse

Thanks in advance.
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    It'd be hard to reduce any pricing without drastically reducing the performance. The only thing would be getting the Samsung 128GB SSD instead of the 256GB and shaving off $60-70 (but then there wouldn't be much room for any games).

The PSU could go to a TX650 but that would only save you a few dollars and stop you from future-proofing with adding a 2nd GTX 660. CPU watercooler is the least expensive for water I believe, since it's an older model and only 120mm and thin. Reducing that would put you on air @$25 or so, which is only $30 less, but making your CPU run much hotter (so it wouldn't be a good idea to downgrade that).

Honestly, you're almost at the line. I'd just keep the list I have, and then spend a week or two earning the extra cash doing odd-jobs or whatever is needed to make up the amount left that you need. Think about it, you'll spend 10 days making the extra cash, while you'll have this computer for a minimum of 3-4 years. It's definitely worth it to go the extra distance to get this computer. Although, these are only my thoughts on this, and you may do whatever you please.

As for monitors, Asus has some nice 24in 1080p monitors that are anywhere from $130-$200 (not sure what that is in Euros). I wouldn't recommend anything about 1080p, since you'll only be running a GTX 660.

There's a lot of good mice out there, you just have to find the one that fits your personality. Here are some you should check out:
    -Logitech G9x
    -Logitech G500/600/700
    -Razer Deathadder/Black Edition/2012
    -Razer Naga/2012/Molten/Epic
    -Razer Mamba
    -Mad Catz Cyborg RAT5/7/9
    -Steelseries Mice
    -Tt Sports Mice
    -Cooler Master Mice

For mice, it's definitely about personal preference, but the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 is extremely popular. Check out any from these guys:
  3. Apr 27, 2013
    Cheers Brett, I wouldn't play many games to be honest and tend to stick with the one I like for a long time until the next one in the series comes out so downgrading the SSD from 256gb to 128gb might be a good idea and will save me 10% of my costs. Is it best to stay with the Pro version of the standard one?

Will I be able to play games @ 1080p with the GTX 660 SC? I can get another one for €72 ($95) if it'll make a big difference.

Thanks for the heads up on the mice and Monitors.
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    For the SSD, just go with the regular Samsung 840, since the Pro version is only higher write speed but a large price hike.

You should run a large portion of games near max settings, but getting a 2nd GTX 660 would be automatic max settings on any game. If you do purchase a 2nd GTX 660 to SLI with, make damn sure that they're the same, sometimes even a different manufacturer causes problems. You are a lucky bastard getting these 660's for so cheap. =\

Here's a benchmark of the GTX 660: http://anandtech.com/bench/Product/660 They're damn good scores, a little higher than expected to be honest.