Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Can't install Windows on a new PC build

Discussion in Technical Support started by Seeker, May 26, 2015

1. Jan 21, 2011
    I'll post the full specs when I get off work for this build but the basics are:
    Core i5 cpu
    Asus z97 a motherboard

The computer boots from USB just fine and starts the windows install, but stops right away and claims there is a necessary driver missing. Its either a cd, dvd, or USB driver and the whole set up stops. There isn't a CD/DVD drive on the PC and I'm not sure what driver its looking for. Anyone had this problem before?

I'll post more info when I get home tonight.

Full specs:
    Seeker, May 26, 2015 Last edited by Seeker, May 26, 2015
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    Possibly HDD driver that windows doesn't recognize. I haven't had this sort of issue since Windows XP. I use to include the driver inside of the ISO using an utility, there's a folder to drop in your .inf files for the HDD. After the Setup logo page and before you can start it will install the driver before installing the OS. Usually it gives you notifications about it.

I could be completely off with my analysis and I'm crunching at work so I could have missed something.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Oct 24, 2013
      Sometimes the asus mobos don't like a harddrive that has previous bios on it. If every thing is new then try to update the bios to see if there is a more compatible version. Any chance you could be using the wrong usb port? Like a 3.0 or the flashback port?
      They recommemd you update bios on the 97 and other asus boards before you install a clean version of windows.
      I liked my 97 but I had quite a few problems with it before I got my crosshair z.
      The bios on that thing used to really piss me off.
      I did have the amd version though so idk if they did anything different.
    • Jan 21, 2011
      Definitely not using any USB 3.0 ports. That was the first thing I checked.
    • Oct 24, 2013
      There are quite a few utilities and updates available on their site for their boards.
      I recommend that first.
    • Apr 18, 2012
      I was scratching my head over this when I first made mine. Didn't think that was the problem ;_;
    • Jan 21, 2011
    • Dec 30, 2006
      Have you forced legacy bios instead of UEFI?
      Have you tried to install it with AHCI off and use IDE mode?
    • Jan 21, 2011
      Tried a preactivated win7 and 8.1 then a legit copy of 8.1.
      No
      No (I didnt know you can do that)
    • Dec 30, 2006
      Maybe they took it away in the newer boards, but I have that option.
      Might work if you can find that option too. I haven't touched any of the newer chipsets recently. Still on z68.
    • Jan 21, 2011
      Everything I read said to make sure AHCI was enabled. I saw the option to switch to IDE but didn't think that was the issue.
    • Oct 25, 2013
      Few months ago I tried to install Windows on my moms laptop after installing a new hard drive (120GB Samsung 840 EVO-SSD) after the old one broke and I ran into the same problem as you. I tried both Windows 7 and 8.1 and neither worked; I tried both IDE and AHCI modes (both gave the same error; driver missing); I also tried formatting the drive and making partitions manually from the command line that is available when installing Windows but that didn't work either. I took the laptop with me to the uni where I study and asked a couple of teachers and none knew why it wasn't working. In the end the teacher told me to try Windows XP which worked but ONLY using IDE mode; AHCI mode didn't work and also gave an error. In my case I think it was old hardware as the laptop is rather old (mid 2008) but I don't think that's the case with your system, I don't exactly remember the motherboard make so I can't say if it was made by Asus or not. I don't think this post helps much but maybe you can get some ideas from it, good luck.
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Oct 24, 2013
        Do you think it's worth disabling the spindrive and just working on the ssd?
        I've read all of that stuff about changing between ahci and ide before, all it ever did for me was make things unrecognizable.
        This equipment is way too new to be having any issues that require complex maneuvers.
        I would look at the compatibility between the usb and mobo.
        You used two different windows versions but ended up with the same result so either your system does not like the method of delivery or the bios you have are not compatible with your new ssd.
        If you want to change between ahci and ide though you just need to get into the bios and go through the advanced options and choose it manually.
        It may help to change a few things from auto select in there while your at it to manual.
        You have any ability to use a cd? Also stupid question but you didn't accidentally get upgrade only versions right?
        Try disabling the ssd and hdd and use the BIOS flashback usb port to update the mobo to most recent.
      • Feb 5, 2013
        I can see what your problem is. You don't have a Cd/DVD drive install on the computer. Most windows Disc need DVD drive in order to install. Also I'm thinking your windows disc is either defect or you need to get a new computer. There is something inside the computer preventing windows from working.
        Post Merged, May 26, 2015

It's possible that Windows is preventing Windows 7 from working on new computers. I wouldn't put it past them. I know for a fact Windows is going to force users to update to Windows 10 when they click on the update button.
        Dr.Tommy Oliver, May 26, 2015 Last edited by Dr.Tommy Oliver, May 26, 2015
      • Jan 21, 2011
        No CD drive at all. Didn't think it was necessary. I've done numerous windows installs from USB; this is the first time I've had any issues. I never plugged in the HDD, so the only thing it saw was the SSD. I bought Win 8.1 Pro directly from the windows store and installed it just fine around 2 months ago. I bought the exact same thing this time and its giving me driver issues.
        Also, It's a friends PC and I thought I could build it and get it working while I was in town over the weekend. Unfortunately, I live four hours away so I'm relaying all this information to a different friend (I built this friend's PC last summer and he had no issues) who is trying to get it set up. I'll have him do some things in this thread and, if those fail, update the BIOS.

Thanks for the responses as well.
      • Oct 25, 2013
        Since people are taking into account the media used to install Windows perhaps I should add some more info from me. When I was trying to install Windows on my moms laptop I first used a DVD with Windows 7 (as said above this didn't work). Then I tried a USB install for Windows 8.1; I used a USB3 memory stick plugged into a USB2 port (this also didn't work). I should also add that I used the same memory stick with Windows 8.1 to install Windows on my own laptop and it did work (though both the port and the USB itself were 3.0). Finally Windows XP that worked was installed from a disc; I don't know if the copy was legit or not as the teacher brought it from his office.

Also the laptop had only 1 disk, the SSD I installed.
      • Jul 8, 2012
        This is 100% false. I have imaged and installed the old fashion way many laptops and newer ultra books with no ssd. Also towers that didn't have a working or plugged in cd drive.
      • Feb 5, 2013

How did you install Windows without the disc? Did you download it from windows website or use the ISO file from Windows?

Post Merged, May 26, 2015

You may have a hardware problem perverting Windows from working. I would recommend taking the computer to the shop and see what they said.
        Dr.Tommy Oliver, May 26, 2015 Last edited by Dr.Tommy Oliver, May 26, 2015
      • Jul 8, 2012
        That's only if you are buying a premade computer. Most of us have custom built computers so we have numerous ways to load windows. Most easiest way is to load the image to a bootable USB. Then have your bios boot from the USB drive rather than the DVD drive (which most of us don't have anymore).