Welcome to PlagueFest.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the Plague Fest community.
  1. Welcome Guest! to interact with the community and gain access to all the site's features.

Case fans

Discussion in Hardware Hangout started by Ghost, Jun 24, 2012

What type of fans do you prefer?

High CFM 2 vote(s) 18.2%
Quiet 4 vote(s) 36.4%
The Spinning Type 5 vote(s) 45.5%
  1. May 14, 2011
    I am about to splash some cash on some case fans for the new Switch 810 case I will be getting

I think these look amazing:

Don't let his be just about me though. Let this be genral discussion about case fans.

So far I have had a really good experience with the Apache series of fans.

However, I have 2 Excalibur fans rigged up to my rad and hell they make it windy in my case at 85.6 CFM, however, the noise is unbearably unless I have my headphones on. They are clearly not made for radiators. Sure they pump my cpu down to room temp when I use them (CPU is overclocked) but i really don't think its worth the noise. They can spin up to 2100RPM.

I will be fully water-cooled soon (GPU + CPU) so all the fans I will be getting will hopefully be in push pull config.

Alright you've read enough,tell me what ya think!
  2. Jan 14, 2012
    As long as my PC isn't crashing, it's good IMO. Of course it shouldn't be 50+ degrees Celcius on idle, but overdoing it with the fans will put you in your situation, unbearable noise. You can probably make a case that it's not good for the hardware to run on higher temperatures for extended period of time, but then its something like 15 years in noise or 10 years in silence? Idk. Maybe @Brett can shed his light on this one :wink:
  3. May 14, 2011
    Well the more fans you have, the lower RPM they can run at, so the quieter your case will be, remember decibels are exponential so 2 fans isn't double the noise.

Just to get it straight, to work out the noise for 2*30dB fans do:

log(10^30 * 2) = 30.3dB

^I may be mistaken

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-spl.htm <-- Use this. (Decibels use a some F***ed method of addition)
    Ghost, Jun 24, 2012 Last edited by Ghost1995, Jun 24, 2012
  4. May 31, 2012
    My computer has an i7 980x, a GTX 680 and about 24 gigs of ram. Those parts put out alot of heat. In my experience, even running three GTX 570's in SLI, the best way to dissipate heat is having a really good case as well as a good CPU heatsink. I use a Corsair 800D. It is huge. Air filters, different comparments, etc. My 570s ran about 40 at rest and around 70-80 at full load. My single 680 runs about 30 resting and no higher than mid 50's at load. If my temps look good, it's enough for me. On a seperate note, I LOVE corsair's stuff. Cases, PSU, ram etc. I'm sure their fans are top notch.
  5. May 14, 2011
    Well ram gives out naff all heat. I have Dominator 2000MHz ram and it doesn't even get hot, just slightly warm. If your gpus are blower style then they will exhaust all the hot air clean out the case anyway.

As I am watercooled my main concern is shifting as much fresh air as possible through the rads. I may go for a push pull combo for better noise reduction.

Sent from my phone.
  6. May 14, 2011
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    I've lost faith in all of Cooler Master products, including their fans. 3 out of five had defective bearings... not even spinning correctly and making a grinding noise.

Other than the Delta fans (that move more air than a jet engine....), I always love to recommend Noctua fans (with the modo, "The Uglier the better!") Their fan technology is quite outstanding and should always be considered when looking for fans. There's a nice amount of decent fans out there, I'm just a very big fan of Noctua for many reasons (pun definitely intended =P).

The guys over at Tom's Hardware can help you out if you're looking for more ideas. I would've typed a paragraph but my G15 broke, so I'm using a half-ass keyboard that has to have all of the keys jammed down in order to work, which limits my typing to like 15 WPM >.>. This Friday I'm buying a new one.
  8. Jun 23, 2010
    I think its the GT AP-15 is probably one of the best one.
    • Informative Informative x 1